Question regarding booking onboard

JinxyB

Please help me Disney experts! Here is my issue: I put a deposit down on a 7-day Magic cruise next year with a travel agency who just happens to discount the price of the cruise 7% (they take it out of their commission). I wanted to lock in the rate before they started to rise. I hear you can get an OBC if you book a future cruise while on a cruise. I am going on the Dream in Nov 2015-can I re-book the same cruise while onboard and then transfer it to my TA, even if I am already booked? I hope that makes sense! I recall reading about someone doing this and maintaining the lower rate they locked in while getting an OBC. I'm new to Disney, but not to cruising, so I want to maximize my dollars and OBC, if possible. Thank you for any advice.

Yes you can do this. If DCL don't allow you to nominate the agency when you making the booking on board, ask them for a transfer form. As long as you sign and fax that within 30 days you'll be fine.

Please help me Disney experts! Here is my issue: I put a deposit down on a 7-day Magic cruise next year with a travel agency who just happens to discount the price of the cruise 7% (they take it out of their commission). I wanted to lock in the rate before they started to rise. I hear you can get an OBC if you book a future cruise while on a cruise. I am going on the Dream in Nov 2015-can I re-book the same cruise while onboard and then transfer it to my TA, even if I am already booked? I hope that makes sense! I recall reading about someone doing this and maintaining the lower rate they locked in while getting an OBC. I'm new to Disney, but not to cruising, so I want to maximize my dollars and OBC, if possible. Thank you for any advice.

Yes, you can "reshop" your current reservation onboard. However, the price of the cruise (and subsequent discounts) will be at the prevailing rate, not the rate you are currently booked at. Sometimes the prices rise enough that the onboard booking discounts are negated.

You can designate your TA at the time you make the onboard booking, or you can make the booking yourself, and transfer it to your TA (as long as you do it within 30 days).

As above, it is smart to bring along a copy of your confirmation so that you are comparing "apples to apples." Sometimes while on a cruise I can get a little confused as to exactly what category I have booked, etc.

Yes, if you can get a better deal by rebooking on board, go for it. BE SURE to name the agent at the time you book. Yes, you can transfer the reservation to them after the fact, but if you do that, the agency gets a smaller commission and may reduce your benefits. If you name them at the time of the booking, it counts just as if they had made the booking for you and they get their full commission.

OK, so you jump thru that hoop and now you have 2 reservations made with 2 deposits paid. When you get home, ask the TA to "reconcile" the reservations so that you have the cabin you want, the dining time you want, etc. at the lowest possible rate. They then cancel the other cabin. You can get the first deposit refunded or applied to the new reservation (so you'll owe less at the end).

As noted, it is technically against DCL rules for the TA to discount the cruise (they can give you any amount they wish as an onboard credit). SO, don't talk about it and do get it in writing or confirm the discount on the invoice from the agency (should be different from the DCL invoice in this case). I only say this because I was quoted exactly that same discount MANY years ago by an agency. When cruise time came around, suddenly the discount disappeared. When I asked about it, the agent said she would have to talk to the owner, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line, I never got any OBC or discount from them and have not used them since. Obviously, I have no way of knowing whether or not this is the same agency you used. They told me that the invoice would always show the DCL price, but the discount would be refunded to me at the time of the cruise...and I was stupid enough to believe it.

Edited by moki'smommy

A

s noted, it is technically against DCL rules for the TA to discount the cruise (they can give you any amount they wish as an onboard credit). SO, don't talk about it and do get it in writing or confirm the discount on the invoice from the agency (should be different from the DCL invoice in this case). I only say this because I was quoted exactly that same discount MANY years ago by an agency. When cruise time came around, suddenly the discount disappeared. When I asked about it, the agent said she would have to talk to the owner, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line, I never got any OBC or discount from them and have not used them since. Obviously, I have no way of knowing whether or not this is the same agency you used. They told me that the invoice would always show the DCL price, but the discount would be refunded to me at the time of the cruise...and I was stupid enough to believe it.

Thanks for all the strategies, and especially for this advice. I called the TA and they resent my invoice, which does reflect the discount, so I will at least have documentation of this!

Two things I wanted to add:

Verify that your TA does not charge a cancellation fee.

What category are you booked in? Concierge bookings are non refundable, so I am not sure if they would allow you to cancel the first reservation. Maybe someone with this experience will chime in.

Enjoy your cruise!