Back From Quantum June 12th

I've just came back from Quantum on the 3 nighter and to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed. People say its the little things that take a standard cruise line to a top notch cruise line, but they are just not nailing the basics of all cruise lines. Of the four cruises I've been on, this was by far the most stressful/inefficient for both us and the crew. And when i say boring I'm talking on behalf of my family. I'd like to hear your experiences as well because I don't think its just my family who experienced this. Well if you didn't that's great for you, but I am seriously permanently considering going back to medium (by today's standard eg. Freedom class max) size ships instead of mega ships.

I was also at this sailing, and honestly I already expected these on a large cruise ship so did careful planning beforehand to able to experience all attractions and all free restaurants.

Note these 3 factors where this sailing is high stressful:

It is the 2nd largest cruise ship class in the world and we sailed at full capacity of 4.300 guests at this leg

This sailing has the most kids ever on all my cruises.. perhaps it is a Singaporean school holiday?

It is a day short sailing and you cram everything Quantum has to offer in just 3 nights.

Knowing these, the chaos is expected. I have spoken to some folks who have been with the ship since Bayonne and they told me this is the most stressful leg of their cruise, considering the Asian fast paced culture and the tight schedules.

It might be different if we are sailing Quantum on a longer laid back IT, that way we can relax more and not to try everything in just 3 short days when the ship is in full capacity with lots of kids running around.

Given the tight schedule, we also missed Sonic Odyssey, and the alternative menus of the restaurants which they change midway in a 7 or longer nights.

One thing I liked is the food here is really top notch compared to other RCCL ships especially in Asia. You can order unlimited premium menu items every night like boiled whole Lobster tail, Fillet Mignon, Crab Cakes, and Chilean sea bass somewhere in those 5 free dining restaurants including devinly decadence which is used to be charged and is about to be replaced by a hotpot Chinese restaurant anytime soon.

In other RCCL ships, you rarely find these in the MDR except on special lobster nights, either they are on the specialty restaurants like Chops Grille, or as an upcharge menu item in the MDR... and is even more rare on RCCL Asia sailings

Edited by roquejo

I was also at this sailing, and honestly I already expected these on a large cruise ship so did careful planning beforehand to able to experience all attractions and all free restaurants.

Note these 3 factors where this sailing is high stressful:

It is the 2nd largest cruise ship class in the world and we sailed at full capacity of 4.300 guests at this leg

This sailing has the most kids ever on all my cruises.. perhaps it is a Singaporean school holiday?

It is a day short sailing and you cram everything Quantum has to offer in just 3 nights.

Knowing these, the chaos is expected. I have spoken to some folks who have been with the ship since Bayonne and they told me this is the most stressful leg of their cruise, considering the Asian fast paced culture and the tight schedules.

It might be different if we are sailing Quantum on a longer laid back IT, that way we can relax more and not to try everything in just 3 short days when the ship is in full capacity with lots of kids running around.

Given the tight schedule, we also missed Sonic Odyssey, and the alternative menus of the restaurants which they change midway in a 7 or longer nights.

One thing I liked is the food here is really top notch compared to other RCCL ships especially in Asia. You can order unlimited premium menu items every night like boiled whole Lobster tail, Fillet Mignon, Crab Cakes, and Chilean sea bass somewhere in those 5 free dining restaurants including devinly decadence which is used to be charged and is about to be replaced by a hotpot Chinese restaurant anytime soon.

In other RCCL ships, you rarely find these in the MDR except on special lobster nights, either they are on the specialty restaurants like Chops Grille, or as an upcharge menu item in the MDR... and is even more rare on RCCL Asia sailings

I actually did try to reserve attractions and shows online beforehand but nothing was listed. Not the I-fly, Star Water Show or the Sonic Odyssey. The only thing was the flow-rider private sessions but that is standard on other ships.

You thought the food was good really? I was pretty disappointed, especially with Silk. For the premium price of cruising on a brand new ship surely the food quality should have been better with dynamic dinning in place. I'm not that picky of an eater but if you asked me, I would think that the food in Mariner's MDR is better than Silk. Also with short time, I wasn't able to try many of the other cafes like 270, the solarium bistro and many others which may have had better quality food, so i'm not too sure. But that's just my experience.

Yes you're right, this period is smack in the middle of the Summer holiday for local schools in Singapore. When i cruise in december there is no where as many as kids as I had found on Quantum.

I really don't see the point in Royal keeping this 3 night cruise next year for Ovation. Sailing over-capacity brings in money, yes, but drops the service standards that could potentially spoil many people's holidays. This 3 nighter is literally the most boring itinerary there could be. And we already know that this ship isn't the most well liked by the public. Have you seen the cruise reviews on here? 49% said they loved it. 49... that's the lowest of the whole fleet. Barely even half. I don't complaining and ranting about a cruise line that I really like but its really changed my perception of the company.

I'm really hoping my next cruise with them will be much better than this.

Both the iFly and StarWater came out in the online reservation but they posted it too late that the lead time to reserve was too short before the 4 day prior to cruise cut off.

I attempted to reserve iFly online but the online slots got sold out already and I was asked to do it on the ship. Starwater I found out too late that it was already past the 4 day deadline.

But I managed to reserve both easily using Royal IQ iPad app I downloaded from AppStore before I boarded and then connecting to the ship's wifi as soon as I board.

Managed to reserve the first show of StarWater, as for iFly, was surprised that it had only 3 time slots left, all on port days, considering I attempted to reserve early as soon as I board.

The restaurants I reserved online all at 5:30pm more a year in advance. Made a mistake considering at 5:30PM, you don't need reservations as the tables are mostly empty. My strategy to sample all the resto in 3 nights was eating light twice a night during non peak hours at 5:30PM, then at 9PM where it is easier to find a seat.

Solarium Bistro has the highest quality among the free restaurants and is where I ate most, (2 dinners and 1 breakfast) as it is from a celebrity chef, and they used to charge for it so it is specialty restaurant quality, it is also least crowded as many still taught that there is charge. Most of the people eating there with me are the westerners who have stayed in the ship since New Jersey. So are already "wise" on the best areas of the ship. The Fillet Mignon there and the flourless chocolate cake with Rhasberry sauce are to die for. Not to mention it is quiet, peaceful and less stressful to eat there considering everyone is crowding the other restaurants downstairs, especially Silk!!

I have different experiences with regards to the food.. for my case Mariner has the worst food among all RCCL ships.. I came with my family in Mariner last 2013 and they all said the food was barely even edible. The food was so bad that for the first time, I ate at Chops and Johnny Rockets for a fee.

Voyager's food in the MDR is the most tasteful, I sailed Voyager 2X already and in both cases, the taste quality of the food is good.

When I say that Quantum's food is a notch higher is it is the only RCCL ship that sailed Asia or Australia that you can have unlimited lobster, or Chilean Sea Bass or Fillet Mignon at any given night, just by going to the correct restaurant:

Grande - boiled whole lobster tail

Chic - Chilean Sea Bass

Solarium/Silk - Fillet Mignon (Surf and Turf or Hibachi Fillet Mignon respectively)

Fillet Mignon is also avail in American Icon but it was tasteless and comes only with 3 shrimps on skewers instead of lobster.

To compare, I sailed Radiance for 14 nights to New Zealand and free lobster and Chilean Sea was not even served, and for Fillet Mignon, I have to pay $35 upcharge on the MDR for either that or a Boston Lobster, or go to Chops Grille to have one.

In contrast, I have those any unlimited at given night in Quantum.

Knowing how stressful it will be, I only book this 3 day sailing just to familiarize myself with the new Quantum class and not to relax, so that next time I take a longer cruise either on Anthem or Ovation, I already know where to eat and where to hang out, and can immediately find my way around the ship. And more time to relax as not a priority anymore to try NorthStar, iFly or Bumper cars considering I have already done those in this sailing.

Edited by roquejo