HAL Westerdam vs Celebrity Reflection

EbayCruiser

We are interested in booking a cruise for January '16 and the two ships we are looking at are Westerdam and Reflection.

Having never sailed on Celebrity before what are everyone's thoughts. We mainly eat in the Lido and usually love HAL's food - will we like Celebrity as much. It's a newer ship of course. We can pick similar itinerary's but if we pick San Juan there is no stop to a private island on Celebrity. We can pick Coco Cay, Montego Bay, Georgetown and Cozumel and get the private island. Price on both cruiselines is similar.

I am going to post this on the Celebrity board also to get different reviews.

For those who have sailed HAL and Celebrity, what are your thoughts?

We have been on Westerdam and we have been on a number of Celebrity Solstice class ships-of which Reflection is one.

No contest for us. It would be Celebrity Reflection every time. Beautiful ship, well designed, well maintained.

Service about the same except for the MDR where Celebrity, IOHO, has much better service. We prefer Celebrity food but this is very subjective. Lots of good alternate dining options on Celebrity. Plus, unlike HAL, their buffet is open when people want to eat, ie it does not start to shut down at 7:30.

We have been on Westerdam and we have been on a number of Celebrity Solstice class ships-of which Reflection is one.

No contest for us. It would be Celebrity Reflection every time. Beautiful ship, well designed, well maintained.

Service about the same except for the MDR where Celebrity, IOHO, has much better service. We prefer Celebrity food but this is very subjective. Lots of good alternate dining options on Celebrity. Plus, unlike HAL, their buffet is open when people want to eat, ie it does not start to shut down at 7:30.

Thanks, we are leaning towards the Reflection. Considering Western on 1/02 or Eastern on 1/09. Can't decide ....

I've mostly done Celebrity but we loved the 15 day cruise we did on Zaandam and will definitely be back. The decision on which cruise to pick would be between HAL & Celebrity based on itinerary, length of cruise, and the ship, but without a winner on those criteria it would be Celebrity. Celebrity has the edge overall for us due to the food, and in lido buffets Celebrity is the clear winner.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

I've sailed both ships. Aqua Class on the Reflection and a balcony on HAL. The difference in cabin space is noticeable, plus there is an obvious difference in passenger capacity. I think dining is comparable, although Aqua has it's own dining room which was very nice. But I do think the specialty dining fell short of HAL's venues. It was one of my disappointments with Celebrity. I think it's a matter of space versus ship style. We sailed on Reflection last November but we are booked on HAL for our cruise this November. Both provide a good experience, but we prefer the more subdued ambiance we find on HAl.

We are interested in booking a cruise for January '16 and the two ships we are looking at are Westerdam and Reflection.

Having never sailed on Celebrity before what are everyone's thoughts. We mainly eat in the Lido and usually love HAL's food - will we like Celebrity as much. It's a newer ship of course. We can pick similar itinerary's but if we pick San Juan there is no stop to a private island on Celebrity. We can pick Coco Cay, Montego Bay, Georgetown and Cozumel and get the private island. Price on both cruiselines is similar.

I am going to post this on the Celebrity board also to get different reviews.

For those who have sailed HAL and Celebrity, what are your thoughts?

We are in our early 50's and are novices to cruising compared to most people on this board... However, we have cruised Disney Dream, Celebrity Reflection and Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam. (Once each) we absolutely loved all of our cruises! That said there are a few things I could share from our experience.

While you can't go wrong with either IMHO, we don't like crowds and felt like HAL was much less crowded... With the exception of the Lido at lunchtime. :-)

Being able to eat breakfast in the MDR on HAL everyday was awesome! Plus, the breakfast room service menu was exceptional. I have to admit that I am not a buffet fan. However with Aqua class in the Reflection, we had our own dining room for breakfast and lunch so that was awesome. It just cost more.

We thought the food was slightly better/fresher on HAL and we dined in BLU on the reflection. Of course, food is subjective and it is cruise line food. Room service on HAL was in another league compared to celebrity... Much better options and service.

We thought the service and general cleanliness of the ship was better on HAL... Only slightly.

While the solstice class really gave us the wow experience we did find it difficult at times to find comfortable seating around the ship. HAL's decor is more traditional with more smaller areas for conversation and gathering with Friends.

We would give the edge to celebrity for entertainment and an over all festive feel.

I think when it comes right down to it the differences are so very small. The styles are completely different but the product itself for me is similar. I am not a crowds person so I think the mid size ship just feels less crowded to me.

We loved celebrity and would cruise again on the reflection in a heartbeat, but for now, I prefer the more intimate setting of HAL ships. I also like that it doesn't matter what kind of room you get, you basically eat the same food and enjoy the same venues. I can get a suite on a HAL ship for the same price as an Aqua class balcony on the reflection. So that's a winner for me.

I will say that our food and service on the Disney cruise were outstanding... But it's expensive and I am in to more adult settings now that we are empty nesters. :-)

Sorry for the rambling...but I hope it was helpful.

Edited by bjarrett7

We have sailed on both of these ships twice each.

As others have stated, there are stylistic differences, and the food is subjective, but they are fundamentally very similar.

I don't think either one would be the wrong choice.

Thanks for everyone's opinions and comments.

We have decided on the Westerdam. We love the Vista Class HAL ships and think that the Westerdam will be a better fit for us.

We will be on the Westerdam for the first time in August. Can't wait! I'll try to check in when I get back!

OP, you've indicated Westerdam as your choice. IMO, you've made a good choice. I've sailed on both the Westerdam (2X) & Reflection (1X). I prefer the Westerdam for the following reasons: smaller, more intimate, less crowded, larger cabin (much, much larger in a lower category). Reflection is a gorgeous ship, but I disliked X's "class distinctions," where passengers who weren't staying in at least a concierge suite as I was were forced to stand in line while waiting to embark, had to pay for freshly squeezed OJ and many other items that are free on HAL. Even the room service menu varies by cabin category. By the third day on Reflection, my friends & I were longing for HAL, despite the lovely ship. I found food, service, & activities about equal on both lines. Others may disagree.

Have a lovely cruise.

We were just talking with friends we often cruise with last weekend as we were considering an "X" cruise in September.

We decided against it after discussing how it's getting that we feel nickel and dimed to death on X and don't feel that way on HAL.

Also, our opinion, Westerdam is a wonderful ship. Our Reflection cruise was a mixed bag at best.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were just talking with friends we often cruise with last weekend as we were considering an "X" cruise in September.

We decided against it after discussing how it's getting that we feel nickel and dimed to death on X and don't feel that way on HAL.

Also, our opinion, Westerdam is a wonderful ship. Our Reflection cruise was a mixed bag at best.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank You!

I have received such negative posts about HAL on the Celebrity board but that was expected. It made me second guess my choice of the Westerdam but we have loved all of our HAL cruises and believe that it will be a better fit for us.

Thanks for everyone's opinions and comments.

We have decided on the Westerdam. We love the Vista Class HAL ships and think that the Westerdam will be a better fit for us.

Good choice , Westerdam is a really nice ship

Don't know how much if any value to place on these types of ratings.

But, it is interesting to see that RCI Corp ships account for 7 of the top ten in the survey.

Celebrity Solstice class ships account for 4 of the top ten in this survey. Not a surprise to us.

Edited by iancal