Fizzlewicket's First Cruise on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas 6/4 – 6/13/2015

Love, love, love your review! Super job! Love your sense of humor and adventurous spirit! We are looking forward to our 10 day Liberty cruise in October. Your review has me even more excited! Cannot wait to see your port reviews. Thanks for your time and effort!

Lauri

Here is The Promonade Café.

Cafe%201.jpg

And here is the delightful, delicious and delectable …….. Cheesecake Lollipops. Luscious white chocolate with a soft and creamy cheesecake center with the slight hint of a graham cracker crust. Look at that picture. Do I really need to say more?

Cafe%202.jpg

My wife and I were on the NOS in March, this was 1st time we saw the cheesecake pops, they were awesome. Every time we walked passed we had to stop and get one or two:D. Even today, she'll ask me to go down to the cafe promenade and get her a couple of them :eek:

I have heard so much about the cheesecake pops! yum! Maybe it will make up for not having the sunflower seed granola bars anymore? I really miss those!

Lauri

No more sunflower seed granola bars? Terrible news. The cheesecake pops in no way make up for that loss.

A sidebar regarding the question of beverages at the Promenade Café, where someone responded only water is free. There is also a free coffee and tea station (hot cocoa packets as well). For us iced tea drinkers, I like to brew my own, ask for a glass of ice from the counter, and presto--iced tea. You can purchase specialty coffee drinks, among other things, at the counter.

Lastly, I am very much enjoying this review. The enthusiasm is catching!

Edited by CntPAcruiser

No more sunflower seed granola bars? Terrible news. The cheesecake pops in no way make up for that loss.

A sidebar regarding the question of beverages at the Promenade Café, where someone responded only water is free. There is also a free coffee and tea station (hot cocoa packets as well). For us iced tea drinkers, I like to brew my own, ask for a glass of ice from the counter, and presto--iced tea. You can purchase specialty coffee drinks, among other things, at the counter.

Lastly, I am very much enjoying this review. The enthusiasm is catching!

We Looked for the granola bars on Legend each day of our cruise last Feb. Finally on the 3rd or 4th day, we asked and they said they were taken off the menu, fleet wide! I hope someone can confirm otherwise! A big loss, especially since I had just discovered them!

Lauri

We are considering a cruise out of Texas next year. We skipped the cruise this year in favor of a land vacay in Hawaii, and after all of that flying, I'm ready to pass on the airplane for awhile!

Someone mentioned Liberty is going into dry dock. Any ideas what is going to be done? These photos seem pretty on par with other ships we've been on.

Ann

I've been trying to figure this out too, since our cruise is in February. Someone here said she may get the same changes as Freedom.

In January 2015, "Freedom of the Seas" underwent a 24 day dry dock. During the dry dock, new cabins were added both inside the ship, in the former location of the "The Crypt" night club, and in a new structure atop the front of the ship. Other changes included the addition of the Mexican restaurant "Sabor" and ends replacement of the "Portofino" Italian restaurant with "Giovanni's Table".

I really hope they don't get rid of the Champagne Bar, I'm looking forward to that.

Are your feet tired from all this walking? I know mine are. I checked my iPhone later in the week and found that I had been walking over 5 miles a day on the ship and most of that was exploring. I did walk around the jogging track several days and at my highest I walked almost 9 miles. Hmm or was that Old San Juan? Well needless to say, I probably kept my weight gain down overall just by all the walking.

I am really thirsty. Mind coming with me as I grab my souvenir soda cup from my cabin?

Well, here it is.

Cabin%201.jpg

Cabin%202.jpg

I found it has more than enough space for two people. The bed seemed to be a foam bed and since we had a foam bed at home, we found it easy to sleep on. There was plenty of space for our clothes. I did learn a lesson here. I did not wear all my clothes that I brought. I probably only wore half. I rewore things several times like shorts and t-shirts. I wore the same black pants and alternated 2 different dress shirts for the dining room and the specialty restaurants.

Regarding the hanging shoe rack, yep, I bought one and used one and we felt it worked very well. Kept everything nice and neat.

Cabin%203.jpg

We both LOVED the balcony. We both were out there for the sail away, going under the bridge leaving Cape Liberty, pulling into ports and sailing away from ports. Tanya and I were both fascinated while watching the entire ship pull into ports and then completely turn around to face the other way. I remember when pulling in to Labadee, we were facing the ocean and I thought that’s just the way our view would be, so I headed up to the Windjammer for Breakfast. As I was finding a seat to eat, the mountains were moving the opposite direction as the ship did a 180. What a surreal experience that was.

Tanya opened the door and napped by the sounds of ocean waves several times. It was also a great place to get away if you were tired of being around all the people.

Cabin%2044.jpg

Tanya has made her wishes known, no cruise without a balcony. Wow, certainly glad I checked on the upgrade price on a balcony from the original inside cabin I booked. Only paid $300 more and from this experience, it was a steal.

My room steward was Mario from Nicaragua. What a great room steward and a great guy. I never saw him without a smile on his face and I usually heard him singing as he took care of the rooms. I asked him for ice for the room since I brought an insulated vacuum sealed bottle and I used the ice to keep my peach tea cold. It was there fresh ice twice a day without fail. He kept the room immaculate and almost forgot … those towel animals.

Towel%201.jpg

Towel%202.jpg

Towel%203.jpg

I also got to know him just a little, mostly because I was curious to how employees were treated and how he deals with the time away from his family. He had nothing but good things to say about Royal Caribbean, but the hardest part was being away from his family. He works 8 months on the ship then gets 6 weeks at home and he has been doing this for 5 years. He said there were no jobs in Nicaragua, so he makes this sacrifice to support his family. He was the kind of guy who always brought a smile to your face when you saw him, maybe it’s because his smile was so big that you couldn’t help smile yourself. Hat’s off to you, Mario. And yes, I gave him an extra gratuity at the end.

Hungry? Yeah, I could go for something to eat. Let’s head to the Windjammer. I forgot what deck it was on. Let me check this sign over here. Ah, Deck 11, it is.

Sign%201.jpg

Mind if we take the elevator this time? I need a break from all the stairs.

Elev.jpg

Sheesh, these elevators are so slow. They only go one direction at a time. And you have to keep your eyes on all the elevators, but we are no vacation, right? No need to rush.

While we wait, let’s see what happening on the ship right now. Click this yellow “What to do right now” and all the events, shows and activities are shown by the hour.

What%201.jpg

What%202.jpg

It sure kept my Cruise Compasses from getting all wrinkled since I didn’t need to carry them around with me. (I kept them all and will scan them and post them near the end since I have not seen anyone post them yet.)