Summit to Bermuda on Cricket holiday

wags

We are booked on the Summit cruise to Bermuda departing NJ on 07/26/15. We just learned that we will be there during the cricket games and the whole place will be buzzing, traffic will be difficult and a lot of the stores will be closed. Has anyone been there during that week? If yes, would you please tell me what we can expect. Is it best to take the ship's tours or will there be plenty of taxis? I can't believe my TA didn't mention this.

We were there two years ago for Cup Match. On odd years, the matches are held in St. George, rather than Somerset, so much of the "madness" is far away.

The year we were there, we did a private tour on Wednesday. It was interesting to watch more and more tents pop-up alongside the roads as the day went on. Other than that, everything was as normal. On Thursday, we took a taxi to Warwick Long Bay and walked the paths back to Horseshoe Bay. Horseshoe was crazy crowded, with parked cars as far as the eye could see, but walk a few hundred yards down and you had nearly a private beach. And finally on Friday, we did a private jet ski tour. The Dockyard shops were open as normal. We did not go into Hamilton.

All in all, except for the transportation expenses of using taxis over buses, which was as much for our convenience as it was for crowds or holiday schedules, it was not an issue for us.

Here's a link to my photo album https://picasaweb.google.com/116889349930358549335/BermudaWithLyn?authkey=Gv1sRgCJuuuYrN2uWsaQ

Try not to worry. You'll have a great time.

If the Cup Match is held in Somerset, be sure to go! I was there in 2004 for the Match with my late wife and we walked from Cambridge Beaches to the pitch.

The locals were incredibly hospitable and the Match was a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad you posted this. We will be on the same cruise with you and just learned about the Cup Match. Our excursion we booked through ************ was just cancelled b/c of the Match so we were pretty worried we weren't going to be able to find a beach to visit without bumping into people.