Discounted Kids Menu Adopted in Carnival STEAKHOUSES

eponym

Great idea. Why shouldn't kids have access to the great food as well, with smaller portions and a discounted price. It was changed from a Supper Club to a Steakhouse years ago, because there weren't enough Carnival customers that even knew what fine dining was.

You can order the selections in the Main Dining Room with a smaller portion and lower cost.

Great idea. Why shouldn't kids have access to the great food as well, with smaller portions and a discounted price.

Why should only kids have access to smaller portions? A lot of kids eat a ton more food than me. I'd love if the price were cut and I could receive half as much food!

I personally am glad that they are not doing a kids menu. Although I am not personally a parent myself, I was hardly taken to restaurants as a kid that had kid menus. My parents never made my sister and I our own meal and we learned to eat what the adults were eating. We turned out just fine. I don't understand this concept of cook one meal for the adults and one meal for the children. (my sister in law does this).

But honestly, I personally, as much as I love kids, really would like a nice quiet place to dine on the ship for upscale dining. As it has been mentioned before, there is a difference between dining and eating. If your kids aren't at the age where they can't appreciate fine dining then maybe chose something else or don't have the kids attend for one night? My husband and I have the steakhouse booked for our Anniversary on our next cruise. I hope to have a nice kid free dining experience. I think that's what it was meant to be. And truthfully, if you have a super well behaved child that minds their manners I really wouldn't even mind if they came to the steakhouse, but that's just my opinion.

The main reason behind the kids menu is portions. My 5 year old isn't going to eat an 18oz NY strip. With that said, I agree with you that the steakhouse isn't for kids. I'm taking my son in the Pride in two weeks. I love David's steakhouse and my son is very well behaved at dinner, but I won't bring him to David's. Even though he is well behaved, I'm sure some adults will spend their entire dinner anxiously waiting for him to act up.

Why should only kids have access to smaller portions? A lot of kids eat a ton more food than me. I'd love if the price were cut and I could receive half as much food!

Because one of the symptoms of parenthood is an extreme kick in the wallet. It's nice for restaurants to throw us a bone with a discounted smaller portion menu so we can still enjoy occasionally eating out with our children.

The main reason behind the kids menu is portions. My 5 year old isn't going to eat an 18oz NY strip. With that said, I agree with you that the steakhouse isn't for kids. I'm taking my son in the Pride in two weeks. I love David's steakhouse and my son is very well behaved at dinner, but I won't bring him to David's. Even though he is well behaved, I'm sure some adults will spend their entire dinner anxiously waiting for him to act up.

I learned a lot time ago to stop worrying about what others think of me.

I have taught my child to behave and he generally goes everywhere with us he can. We took him to the steakhouse and we would again, assuming we'd go. We weren't that impressed by the steakhouse.

I would like to see child sized portions with appropriate pricing. I'm not looking for chicken fingers, burgers, etc., just a steak sized for a child.

I love kids, I really do.

That said, if I'm dressed up (which would be the case here) and spending $35+ per person for a meal (which would be the case here) I sincerely don't want to hear cartoons or video games playing in the background while someones kid is being kept "occupied" with an iPad or such. I sincerely don't want to see the floor covered in bits and pieces of food dropped from highchair, or whatever. I sincerely don't want to listen to whining and maybe even a full blown tantrum. I sincerely don't.

Let's be real here. I don't give a rats behind how well groomed your beloved little Jennifer or Travis is, NO CHILD UNDER 12 years old (and maybe even older than that) can sit through a 2+ hour meal without being bored out of their minds.

Ever been to a kiddie movie? These are movies made for children, with all their beloved characters. NOT ONE child is sitting quietly absorbed after the first 15 minutes - if that.

Let me say it again, lest I be misunderstood. I love kids. All kids. All ages. But there are some places children need to wait to go to until they are older. A fine dining establishment is one (even if it is on a Carnival cruise ship).

I have two DDs (6 and 2) who cruise with us, but I'm still against this idea for two reasons.

First, I am just against kids menus in general. I don't think there is "kid food" and "adult food" — there is just food. So while I think it would be cool if they offered smaller portions of menu items, I don't think we need to see chicken tenders and grilled cheese added to the steakhouse menu.

Second, I think it's nice to have a couple of areas on the ship where you can get away from kids. I certainly disagree with those who question bringing your children on vacation, because we always travel with ours. But I think the steakhouse is an upscale experience that should be kind of a quiet spot to get away. I know children are allowed now, but the price kind of helps keep kids out. Mom and Dad can drop them at Camp Carnival for a bit if they want to go to the steakhouse for dinner.

Agreed ... not every situation in life is appropriate for small children contrary to what I'm seeing out in public these days. Please don't flame me :D It's like my mom once told me .... "we didn't take you kids out to nice places until you were civilized (read grown up enough) enough to behave correctly.;)"

Because one of the symptoms of parenthood is an extreme kick in the wallet. It's nice for restaurants to throw us a bone with a discounted smaller portion menu so we can still enjoy occasionally eating out with our children.

Couldn't you enjoy eating out with your children in the MDR? If you are concerned with saving money- why go to the steakhouse?

For what it's worth...I want to take my grandkids on a cruise. They would NEVER act like silly people or forget their "Super good manners". I have extreme confidence they may act better than other grownups in the room. Dum dums and yeah they like steak!

Edited by GrannyFlamingo

For what it's worth...I want to take my grandkids on a cruise. They would NEVER act like silly people or forget their "Super good manners". I have extreme confidence they may act better than other grownups in the room. Dum dums and yeah they like steak!

Isn't that the truth. My child is better behaved than half the adults on the ship. Perhaps we should be excluding adults from the steakhouse?

Agreed ... not every situation in life is appropriate for small children contrary to what I'm seeing out in public these days. Please don't flame me :D It's like my mom once told me .... "we didn't take you kids out to nice places until you were civilized (read grown up enough) enough to behave correctly.;)"

I won't flame you, I completely agree. People just don't understand these days that it's ok to leave small children with baby sitters. I'll never forget my husband's college graduation a few years ago. The experienced was completely ruined by a winey little boy in the row behind us that was clearly too young to be able to handle sitting quietly through a three hour graduation ceremony. I honestly don't know why people expect that kids that age will behave at that sort of thing. They are just not equipped to and it's not their fault.

Dum dums?

I'll add that for the record I have no problem with well behaved children in the steakhouse. I think misbehaving children (and adults) should be asked to leave, though I doubt Carnival would ever have the guts to enforce that.

I just don't see the need to have a children's menu.

If you bring a toddler with so little appetite- let them share from your plate. You could easily go to the buffet and have them fed before hand if that won't provide enough or if they are unlikely to enjoy the food served in the steakhouse.

If you have an older kid- well, I think it is a strawman's argument that the portions are too large. The portion's are too large for most adults too.

And since the steakhouse is supposed to be elegant dining, I would not want to see "child friendly" foods introduced. This is not the place for chicken nuggets and pizza slices. If your child can enjoy elegant dining, they can enjoy a broader palate of foods.

I'll add that for the record I have no problem with well behaved children in the steakhouse. I think misbehaving children (and adults) should be asked to leave, though I doubt Carnival would ever have the guts to enforce that.

If you bring a toddler with so little appetite- let them share from your plate. You could easily go to the buffet and have them fed before hand if that won't provide enough or if they are unlikely to enjoy the food served in the steakhouse.

If you have an older kid- well, I think it is a strawman's argument that the portions are too large. The portion's are too large for most adults too.

And since the steakhouse is supposed to be elegant dining, I would not want to see "child friendly" foods introduced. This is not the place for chicken nuggets and pizza slices. If your child can enjoy elegant dining, they can enjoy a broader palate of foods.

To be frank, I'm all for smaller portions in the steakhouse, period. Quantity does not make up for lack of quality. I wasn't that impressed by the quality, but it was a massive steak and amount of food.

I felt like Carnival had determined what they were going to charge and the quality they were willing to provide and simply had to go to bigger portions to justify the price.

I'm a big guy, but the allure of stuffing your face has long worn off. Give me something that is better quality and tastier versus massive amounts of food. I am paying and I probably will be paying for overeating for the rest of my life.

Couldn't you enjoy eating out with your children in the MDR? If you are concerned with saving money- why go to the steakhouse?

My quote was tongue in cheek and directed at someone saying that adults who like smaller portions should get a special menu with kid's menu pricing. I'm in agreement that kids should not be allowed in the steakhouse. I don't even know if they are or not. You can't put Carnival in a position to police who is a good kid and who is a bad kid, and really, there are no bad kids, just bad parents.

And there it is! The best thing posted so far. I actually posted on JH FB page asking that very question. I wanted to know if there was a point where the Maitre D' would ask someone to leave because of their children.

There would be no need for any of this discussion if Carnival would only give the Maitre D' the authority to ask people with unruly children in the Steakhouse to leave. They could offer to box up the meal and even send it to the MDR to be finished.

Even if they just suggested that the child be removed to CC would be a step in the right direction.

And there it is! The best thing posted so far. I actually posted on JH FB page asking that very question. I wanted to know if there was a point where the Maitre D' would ask someone to leave because of their children.

There would be no need for any of this discussion if Carnival would only give the Maitre D' the authority to ask people with unruly children in the Steakhouse to leave. They could offer to box up the meal and even send it to the MDR to be finished.

Even if they just suggested that the child be removed to CC would be a step in the right direction.

Disclaimer-Personally I have only experienced well behaved children in the steakhouse's.

Going one step further, almost all the people I've met on board behave correctly .

Having said that ,I believe that Carnival never wants to "upset" anyone by insisting on good behavior.

Secondly staff never wants to "upset" anyone because they know people like that are always looking for any

excuse to remove tips .

Edited by richstowe

There is a father somewhere in the Tampa Bay area that has my utmost respect. We were at an Outback Steakhouse and he was sitting two tables away from us. Just as his food arrived and he had taken his first bite his young son started pitching a fit. Within a blink of an eye he picked up his son, left his food and walked outside. His wife requested the bill and took everything with them in a to go box.

I don't know who he is but he sure has my respect.

My opinion is you had them, you deal with them. Just because your screaming child doesn't bother you doesn't mean I should have to put up with it.

I really think CCL should put an age restriction on the steakhouse or make it clear in writing this is supposed to be a fine dining experience and we reserve the right to ask anyone to leave if we feel your behavior is diminishing the other patron experience. Yes that could include loud drunks.

My quote was tongue in cheek and directed at someone saying that adults who like smaller portions should get a special menu with kid's menu pricing. I'm in agreement that kids should not be allowed in the steakhouse. I don't even know if they are or not. You can't put Carnival in a position to police who is a good kid and who is a bad kid, and really, there are no bad kids, just bad parents.

Expecting Carnival to enforce ANY of their rules is a losing proposition....

There is a father somewhere in the Tampa Bay area that has my utmost respect. We were at an Outback Steakhouse and he was sitting two tables away from us. Just as his food arrived and he had taken his first bite his young son started pitching a fit. Within a blink of an eye he picked up his son, left his food and walked outside. His wife requested the bill and took everything with them in a to go box.

I don't know who he is but he sure has my respect.

My opinion is you had them, you deal with them. Just because your screaming child doesn't bother you doesn't mean I should have to put up with it.

I really think CCL should put an age restriction on the steakhouse or make it clear in writing this is supposed to be a fine dining experience and we reserve the right to ask anyone to leave if we feel your behavior is diminishing the other patron experience. Yes that could include loud drunks.

Children's outbursts don't bother their parents because the child is likely like that at home. The child has learned it gets results by carrying on. Sometimes I see demanding behaviors and it's a pretty good indication "who's the boss" at home.