Nieuw Amsterdam cabin 5061. guidance, please

retiredkid

She just kept repeating that those two categories have exact same size balconies unless handicap accessible.
Total baloney!! Both the deck 5 V and the deck 8 VA are 9 ft wide, but the respective depths are approximately 4.5 ft and 7 ft. The exact V depth could be cited as nearer 4 ft if you measure to the floor gutter and closer to 4.5 if you measure to the plexiglass, but there is no question that the balconies do not have "the exact same size". It could be that their information was outdated, but even before the recatigorization last year the V and VA on deck 8 did not have "the exact same size". Unbelievable!

Or they were just trying anything they could to keep you from "downgrading" from V to VA.

Edited by catl331

I'm back! I just hung up from a very unsatisfactory phone call with ship services. He was actually even s tad snippy. He informed me that he deals with this on a daily basis and he knows for certain that I am wrong, as are the passengers who took pics of their verandas, as V category is the same as every other. He said a VA on deck 8 had same size. I got nowhere other than he did email the ship directly to actually go measure them. He said I should hear back in a couple of days. We shall see! I don't hold out much hope. I have to change category by end of month and I believe I will do that. HAL needs to get their info together.

A little while ago I booked my first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, directly with HAL. I was also told that all the balconies are the same size. I knew different from reading this forum, and argued with her, comparing a deck 5 cabin with a deck 4 - which is deeper. I also was able to tell her about the double-wide balconies on deck 4. So far, I have been very disappointed with the incomplete or inaccurate responses to my questions.

I'm back! I just hung up from a very unsatisfactory phone call with ship services. He was actually even s tad snippy. He informed me that he deals with this on a daily basis and he knows for certain that I am wrong, as are the passengers who took pics of their verandas, as V category is the same as every other. He said a VA on deck 8 had same size. I got nowhere other than he did email the ship directly to actually go measure them. He said I should hear back in a couple of days. We shall see! I don't hold out much hope. I have to change category by end of month and I believe I will do that. HAL needs to get their info together.

A little while ago I booked my first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, directly with HAL. I was also told that all the balconies are the same size. I knew different from reading this forum, and argued with her, comparing a deck 5 cabin with a deck 4 - which is deeper. I also was able to tell her about the double-wide balconies on deck 4. So far, I have been very disappointed with the incomplete or inaccurate responses to my questions.

Very disappointing to hear this. Not very good customer service at all.:mad:

Just received email from ship services director on Nieuw Amsterdam. She attached two layout drawings, one of our cabin, 5104, and one of s category VA on deck 8. They made me laugh as only showed balcony/verandah width, not depth. I replied back that I need depth. This is just crazy and I'm getting very frustrated.

Ship services coordinator on Nieuw Amsterdam already replied to my direct reply to her regarding balcony depth. 5104, which is a more expensive V category, is 9.2 x 4.3. The cheaper VA cabin on deck 8 is 9.5 x 7.2. CC comes through again! HAL should be embarrassed regarding personnel arguing with me over this when they were wrong. They should make sure their personnel all have cabin specs. Thanks to everyone. I am moving today.