Hiking in Icy Strait and Skagway

Dancer9933

I am looking for advice on hiking not nature walks in both ports. I am thinking 5 miles in each port with the intention of seeing bears at ISP since the salmon will be running in August. We will be hiking in a group and I am planning to buy bear spray in anchorage. Any resources or experiences would be helpful.

I am looking for advice on hiking not nature walks in both ports. I am thinking 5 miles in each port with the intention of seeing bears at ISP since the salmon will be running in August. We will be hiking in a group and I am planning to buy bear spray in anchorage. Any resources or experiences would be helpful.

Skagway- Upper Dewey Lake would be a good choice. Also if of interest, renting bikes and going out to Dyea is a nice scenic ride.

Big problem with your thinking in Hoonah- the bear tours, need guiding, and armed guides in my opinion. Your "idea" with not knowing the area, and a lot of the "stops" looking similar, really no "official" well marked trails- I would not recommend it. You have no idea where the bears are likely to be seen etc.

Thank you for your opinion I will look into Dewey lake and my husband is planning to bike in Skagway so I will suggest Dyea to him. I will be doing more research into ISP as we will not be paying $100 per person to maybe see bears. I have hiked backcountry with topo map and compass before and my brother who will be with our group does a lot of backcountry so I am not worried about getting lost. Bear spray in my opinion should be enough especially given that we plan to use bear bells to alert the Bears to our presence before we see them. I appreciate the warning but unless I see a lot of bears in Denali this is my chance.

Thank you for your opinion I will look into Dewey lake and my husband is planning to bike in Skagway so I will suggest Dyea to him. I will be doing more research into ISP as we will not be paying $100 per person to maybe see bears. I have hiked backcountry with topo map and compass before and my brother who will be with our group does a lot of backcountry so I am not worried about getting lost. Bear spray in my opinion should be enough especially given that we plan to use bear bells to alert the Bears to our presence before we see them. I appreciate the warning but unless I see a lot of bears in Denali this is my chance.

You will see bears in Denali- if you go to at least Eielson and multiple times. Hopefully you have the opportunity to enter twice? Denali bears are half the size of the coastal bears, so it is worthwhile seeing both.

Your "bear spray" idea is pretty worthless. Better take a look at the Alaska Fish and Game website. I never use "bells" either. Rocks in an empty soda can is a far better noisemaker. Uneven scraping sounds travel better as well.

We only have one full day in Denali and we have booked to Wonder lake. The partial day we are doing a hike near the entrance and dog demo.

Thanks for the idea with the soda cans. I am aware that bear are dangerous but they aren't going to let me brother bring a gun on the ship. As long as we don't surprise the Bears I think we will be ok given our group is likely to be 10 people or so.