Flooding in S class Accessibles?

purpletequila

Hi,

Has anyone stayed in an accessible room? I'm curious about the bathroom. Drainage looks questionable from the shower. Has anyone who stayed in one experienced flooding/water inside the cabin? I'm also wondering how safe it is. Looks like the whole bathroom could become very slippery.

The towel trick is what I plan on doing on Constellation as we have an accessible cabin. By rights the floor should be non-slip - which I hope it will be, even when wet! The ferrules on my walking sticks/crutches do not mix well with smooth wet floors and I have no desire to go flying across the bathroom floor.

I guess there's nothing to stop us asking our room steward for extra towels for the floor?:confused:

Having used roll in showers in both the S class and the M class ships (along with a hundred different hotels and several other cruiselines), we have never had water leave the bathroom and go into the main room. If you do, you are running the water too long.

Use the shower chair and when you're finished your shower, wait for a minute or two for the drain to do most of the work. Then grab a towel and put it on the floor to step on.

If you transfer into your wheelchair from the shower, make sure your brakes are secure because the water can cause the wheels to slide (not roll) on the wet floor. Unfortunately, we've not had luck with putting the wheelchair wheels on a towel because it doesn't seem to do any good and the chair can still slide.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Water from the shower would wet a good portion of the bathroom floor every time we used it. We "built a dam" with rolled up towels around the shower to prevent this. Worked pretty well, & our room steward gave us extra towels to use.

What I have done is bring a plastic trash bag, roll up a couple of towels and put them in the bag, to make a dam. By using the bag, you're not having to deal with sopping wet towels every time you shower.

What I have done is bring a plastic trash bag, roll up a couple of towels and put them in the bag, to make a dam. By using the bag, you're not having to deal with sopping wet towels every time you shower.

Now THAT is a very smart idea!!

We just completed our second cruise using an accessible stateroom on the Silhouette. When we embarked, we found that the shower already had what appeared to be an over sized towel fashioned into a dam. I order to keep the floor outside the dammed area dry, I used a second smaller towel at he end between the sink and the shower, and I was also very careful to be sure that the shower head always faced the back wall while I was showering or when I put it down to adjust the temperature or flow. The drain is in the back corner of the shower and if you keep the shower head facing the area of the bench, even if you did not use the bench, you should not get any water outside the shower area.

The cabin steward or butler( we lucked out with getting an upgrade to an accessable sky suite this time) always dried the shower and replaced the " dam" when they came in to make up or turn down the cabin. I never had to worry about a wet floor!

And yes, if you are wondering, an accessible sky suite IS bigger than many Manhattan apartments I have visited. As a matter of fact, the accessible suite bathroom is larger than one of the bedrooms in our home here in Suffern NY!

Oh cool. This is for my father who will be in a scooter to get around but will use a walker into the bathroom I think so he can step over that. So do you just leave it there all week.

We just completed our second cruise using an accessible stateroom on the Silhouette. When we embarked, we found that the shower already had what appeared to be an over sized towel fashioned into a dam. I order to keep the floor outside the dammed area dry, I used a second smaller towel at he end between the sink and the shower, and I was also very careful to be sure that the shower head always faced the back wall while I was showering or when I put it down to adjust the temperature or flow. The drain is in the back corner of the shower and if you keep the shower head facing the area of the bench, even if you did not use the bench, you should not get any water outside the shower area.

The cabin steward or butler( we lucked out with getting an upgrade to an accessable sky suite this time) always dried the shower and replaced the " dam" when they came in to make up or turn down the cabin. I never had to worry about a wet floor!

And yes, if you are wondering, an accessible sky suite IS bigger than many Manhattan apartments I have visited. As a matter of fact, the accessible suite bathroom is larger than one of the bedrooms in our home here in Suffern NY!

Thanks. My father has a mobility issue/coordination problem. He can "walk" short distances, very short, if really careful and holding on but I am literally terrified he is going to slip on this wet floor. Such a strange design but you guys have given me some great tips. Thanks everyone

When you meet your cabin steward for the first time, explain that you are concerned about a possible wet bathroom floor even though there is a dam. Ask if it would be possible for you to contact them after all parties have showered so that the steward could come or send their assistant to insure that the floor is dry and that the wet towels are taken away and replaced with dry ones.

I am sure they will be happy to help. They don't want to come into a flooded bathroom a few hours later. They would rather attend to it quickly. You do not have to leave the room.

I had to call for this service one day after my husband had showered but was did not take care to put an extra towel down at the end. I would not walk into the bathroom even to use the toilet while the floor was wet. The attendant came immediately.