Zip Lines in Every Port

ronandannette

We've got a quirky idea for our upcoming Southbound cruise that we will only take excursions that include zip lines. We've ziplined in some very interesting places around the world and it looks like there are opportunities for this in every port (Juneau/Icy Strait/Skagway/Ketchikan).

What are your recommendations or experiences? There seems to be several different options offered through the cruiseline at a few of the ports - does anybody know anything about these tours? How many different zipline facilities are we talking about or are they all to the same place just with different tour names?

Has anyone booked zipline tours on their own independent of the ship? Might they even be available right on the pier? Any input would be much appreciated.

Edited by ronandannette

Vancouver's not an issue. We've been there dozens of times and aren't looking for activities. Thanks anyway.

Edited by ronandannette

I'd also be interested in learning more about the zip lines! We zip lined this weekend and a church camp and really enjoyed it and had a friend tell us we needed to do it in Alaska. I was hoping there would be one that we could book at a pier.

We did the Ziprider in Icy Strait point a few weeks ago - totally different experience than a zipline - lasts only 90 seconds, but oh my what an adrenalin rush! A steep drop and then a 60 mph whoosh down to the port below. It was expensive but included a 45 min narrated drive up the mountain, and about a 20 minute wait at the top which was fun with everyone enjoying the anticipation. Scenery was brilliant.

We did the Ziprider in Icy Strait point a few weeks ago - totally different experience than a zipline - lasts only 90 seconds, but oh my what an adrenalin rush! A steep drop and then a 60 mph whoosh down to the port below. It was expensive but included a 45 min narrated drive up the mountain, and about a 20 minute wait at the top which was fun with everyone enjoying the anticipation. Scenery was brilliant.

Is that the kind where two people sit in kind of a chair-lift thing? We've done that before over a river gorge on Vancouver Island. Honestly, there's only so much money I'm willing to pay for 90 seconds of anything. :p Did you book this through the cruise line, on your own in advance or at the pier?

Edited by ronandannette

Is that the kind where two people sit in kind of a chair-lift thing? We've done that before over a river gorge on Vancouver Island. Honestly, there's only so much money I'm willing to pay for 90 seconds of anything. :p Did you book this through the cruise line, on your own in advance or at the pier?

No, you sit individually in a harness, and there are 6 lines, so 6 people go simultaneously. Search ziprider dot com on the internet, and you'll get a better idea.

We booked through the cruise line, which is the only way you can prebook, or you can walk up on the day, but we arrived in Icy Strait at 10am, and the ziprider was sold out for the day by 11.30am.

It is expensive,(isn't everything in Alaska!) but the whole experience was worth it for us. It also includes a narrated drive up the mountain. We figured we will only be in Alaska once, and it was something we'll always remember. Some people felt it was great but too expensive for what it was but I'm still really glad I did it.

We just got back and did the zipline in Ketchikan. It was the "rainforest" tour. Pretty pricey on Princess lines at $210 a person. 7-8 zips with 900 feet being the longest and three nice suspension bridges to cross. VERY good guides and highly trained for safety - would definitely recommend (I'm 48, female, and semi adventurous). Might want to call the actual provider before you book. They had some pretty strong spring storms in Ketchikan that required the different zipline providers to reroute their courses this spring.

I did the Alaska Canopy Adventures zip line in Juneau in May. Great bunch of younger guides and professionally done. I never zipped before so was expecting a thrill ride but this one left me wanting more than what they had to offer. Pretty much just a run through the pine trees with an old building or two, a deep gorge (sort of) and huddling close together on tree stands.

You take a jet boat ride to get there and a big truck (Unimog) with seating that drives you up to the first zip (10 minutes). There are 3 suspension bridges and the longest zip is 600 ft (only 1 that long) The rest are shorter.

You will pay $140 to $200 per person on any zip in these ports and this one was just not thrilling enough to warrant the $$ but others may see it differently.....

I watched the Icy Strait zip while in port and it was fun looking but I could not fork over the $139 for 90 seconds but those that did looked like they had fun.

It is pretty jarring at the end when you come in that fast so folks with back or neck issues could not do it.

I believe the Bear Creek zipline is more family friendly than the Rainforest Canopy. Check out Alaska Canopy Adventures. They have a video and quite a bit of information. We are going with our two kids 16 & 18 and have booked the Rainforest Canopy adventure. None of us have ever ziplined before.