Livorno to Florence On Our Own

Cruisepm

I am planning excursions for a cruise in October 2015. We will be stopping in Livorno on Sunday, November 1. Unfortunately for us, the first Sunday of the month is “free admission” at the museums and I have been told that the lines to get into the Accademia and the Uffizzi could be 3-4 hours long. And, because it is All Saints Day, some churches will have reduced hours. So, I thought I would save Florence for another time. I planned a private tour to Pisa and Lucca. Then I learned there is an international comic book convention ending that day that over 250K attended last year. So now I’m back to going to Florence on my own on the train. I have some questions for you.

1) The Celebrity Silhouette is in port from 7am to 7pm. What is the earliest I can

be off the ship?

2) Is it possible to pre-arrange a taxi from the pier to the train station? If so,

what taxi service have you used in the past that can enter the port and pick us

up at the ship? I understand a taxi costs about 25 euro whether you have 2 or

8 people.

3) Is it possible to just grab a taxi on the pier? I plan to be off the ship by 7:30.

4) If I cannot pre-arrange a taxi or get one on the pier, what time does the

Celebrity shuttle to the center of town start running?

5) I guess another option is to use the city bus at the port to the bus station and

then take another bus to the train station. Has anyone done this? How early

does the city port bus begin to run?

6) I would like to be off the ship by 7:30 and catch an early train to Florence.

(Perhaps we could get into one museum.) I have used the trains in Rome.

Any tips for using the Livorno train station?

7) Any other advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Most of your questions have been answered hundreds of times on this very thread but we will tackle some of it again. There will be some taxis at the pier but most will not want to take the local fares to the station. Be among one of the first off the ship, head directly to the taxi queue, and assertively (but politely) make it clear you need a taxi to take you to the station (Stazione). There is often a few drivers that will make the trip for about 25 Euros and hopefully you can get a few others to join you to cut the cost. As to the shuttle buses, things do vary but they usually do not even leave the pier until around 8:30. And you still need to get from the shuttle drop point to the train station which may involve a taxi, public bus, or a long hike.

We have never known of any service you can pre-book to take you to the station. Bottom line is that you need to work that taxi queue and if all refuse the fare you should nicely ask if they can call some taxis that will do the short run. When off the ship early we have never had to wait more then 15 min to get a taxi to the station.

As to when you can get off the ship, we find that it normally takes about 20 min once the gangplank is in place.

Hank

There is a new independently operated shuttle bus taking cruise passengers from the port directly to the train station with a return. We were in Livorno on a Princess cruise several days ago and read about this in the ship's port information, although we didn't use it. Maybe someone else who has used it will chime in on the cost and frequency and whether it will continue through the high season into the fall or not.

We docked in Livorno last November on the first Sunday. I set up a private transfer, got 6 others to join in from the roll call to do whatever everyone wanted to do in Florence, after a brief tour when we arrived. DH and I went to both Accademia and Uffizi, and our driver reserved tickets for us. We had virtually no wait, despite the lineups. He drove us to both galleries, too. Plus we had time to explore a bit in town and have lunch. Excellent day and no stress!

QuattroRomeo, your tour last November is exactly what I am looking to do in Florence. Could you post a little bit more about who you set the tour with and how you managed both museums in one day. Were you able to see any other sights in Florence besides the two museums. I have read quite a bit that you need to pick one or the other or you will not be able to see much else.

QuattroRomeo, your tour last November is exactly what I am looking to do in Florence. Could you post a little bit more about who you set the tour with and how you managed both museums in one day. Were you able to see any other sights in Florence besides the two museums. I have read quite a bit that you need to pick one or the other or you will not be able to see much else.

Absolutely- we had a wonderful day and saw quite a bit. We used a transfer service by Nicola Scavenna. You can see all the details (plus photos!) In the first couple of pages of our cruise review, as this was the first port we had. Just click on the 'Photo Review- West Med on the Jade' link in my signature line. It should answer all of your questions I think- and then if you need more help just ask!

Your trip to Florence is exactly what we are looking for. Thank you for sharing as well as your wonderful review of your entire cruise. We will be visiting some of the same ports and your photos and review has given me some great options. Thanks again!

You're very welcome, glad it was of some help. That cruise was one of our best ever, in large part because of the private tours and transfers -they were terrific- and we saved so much time, and did not have to worry about anything! I wish you the same!