Ice Show Photography

Ecuador

Going on Royal Caribbean cruise and would like to take some pictures at the ice show.Have DSLR with 18 -135mm and 70 - 200mm lenses.Which lens would you recommend and where is the best place to sit in the theatre to get the best shots?

Going on Royal Caribbean cruise and would like to take some pictures at the ice show.Have DSLR with 18 -135mm and 70 - 200mm lenses.Which lens would you recommend and where is the best place to sit in the theatre to get the best shots?

If you sit fairly close to the ice, 50mm (75mm equivalent on an APS-C camera) is sufficient. A wide aperture is good since the light is bright, but still not outdoors bright. NO FLASH! They seem to think (and I agree) that a blinding flash of light in the eyes of someone preparing to do a double lutz on a postage-sized patch of ice could cause problems.

We were about three rows back. We had the run of the theater and lower seemed too low for a good angle.

50mm (75mm eq.) at f/2.8

p187102458-4.jpg

p449108522-5.jpg

p425121070-5.jpg

Dave

So Dave what did you set the iso/shutter speed at?

John

ISO3200 and around 1/800s for the jumpers.

For the dimmer parts it was still ISO 3200 but at f/1.8 and 1/250s

p479503480-5.jpg

f/2.0 1/200s

p424404496-5.jpg

Dave

why do they keep saying the A6000 does not do well in low light? If I tried 3200 with my other cameras at that shutter speed it would be a mess. Can't wait to shoot the ice show, thanks again Dave for all your tips

John

• 2 weeks later...

One word of advice. Please check to see if your camera uses a focus lamp to aid focussing on low light conditions. Some cameras use coloured lights but many cameras use very bright lamps at the front of the camera. Please make sure these are turned off as they can be very distracting not only to the dancers but also to people sitting around you. Also I think it is a good idea to turn the brightness of the screen down to its lowest level and to also turn off any audio beeps/sounds that your camera may make whilst taking a photo. I have been at ice shows and theatre shows where people taking photos during a performance have really annoyed members of the audience. I've also witnessed arguments between audience members concerning the taking of photos. If you follow my advice above and be considerate to others watching the show I'm sure you will get the photos you want just make sure you experience the show through your own eyes instead of being glued to your camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I shot the photos above I had my sounds turned off (because I find them annoying), the autofocus illuminator turned off (because frankly, unless it is nearly pitch dark, a decent camera doesn't need it) And I didn't stand up and block anyone's view. My LCD didn't bother anyone because it was pressed against my face and if someone had manufactured some kind of outrage at it I would have pointed out that they should really be angry at the brilliant sweeping spotlights following the skaters.

As long as you are reasonably discreet, pay attention to your surroundings and are courteous of those behind you, photographing the ice shows is fun and challenging.

Now if some padhole had held a tablet over their head in front of me to take a photo...there may have been an argument between audience members! :)

Dave