Upsell e-mail confusing

Medtech2

I received an e-mail today offering me a free upsell (their words) to a balcony if I would give up my oceanview in February 2016 and move to "the same itinerary" in November or December 2015 (again their words).

However, those sailings are NOT the same itinerary! Mine is western caribbean with a stop at Great Stirrup Cay, which is why I specifically booked this cruise.

The ones they want me to move to are Eastern. Why would they call those the same itinerary? Also a free "upsell" is essentially a free upgrade, is it not?

At this time I have no desire to move but I wonder who writes these offers and what their definition of itinerary is...

All of this means, of course, is my sailing will be full and my dreams of moving to a higher category closer to February probably won't happen...My category is sold out and the remaining oceanviews are going for $200 more than I paid.

Another reason to book early if you are looking for a specific port and/or cabin...

I received the same email, but my cruise was on the Star in Jan 2016.

We opted not to go for it because of scheduling, but it was tempting.

The email states "we would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to change your current reservation and [ receive a free upgrade to a Balcony at no additional cost if you move to the same itinerary aboard the Norwegian Star on one of the following dates:

9 dates listed in Oct, Nov, and Dec 2015.

I received an e-mail today offering me a free upsell (their words) to a balcony if I would give up my oceanview in February 2016 and move to "the same itinerary" in November or December 2015 (again their words).

However, those sailings are NOT the same itinerary! Mine is western caribbean with a stop at Great Stirrup Cay, which is why I specifically booked this cruise.

The ones they want me to move to are Eastern. Why would they call those the same itinerary? Also a free "upsell" is essentially a free upgrade, is it not?

At this time I have no desire to move but I wonder who writes these offers and what their definition of itinerary is...

All of this means, of course, is my sailing will be full and my dreams of moving to a higher category closer to February probably won't happen...My category is sold out and the remaining oceanviews are going for $200 more than I paid.

Another reason to book early if you are looking for a specific port and/or cabin...

You may want to call your TA or PCC and have them do some checking as to "why" NCL wants you to move. Typically Oceanview cabins aren't in sufficient demand that would make it worthwhile for NCL to offer you a better cabin.

There very well could be a large charter group on your sailing and NCL may be trying to make room for them. If that is the case, you may want to consider a switch as large groups can have an impact on the rest of the ship as they will have venues and events specifically reserved for the charter group.

I'm confused. You didn't mention your vessel, but the Getaway has the exact same itinerary in Nov and Dec 2015 as in Feb 2016 (including Great Stirrup Cay) unless I am missing something painfully obvious.

You may want to call your TA or PCC and have them do some checking as to "why" NCL wants you to move. Typically Oceanview cabins aren't in sufficient demand that would make it worthwhile for NCL to offer you a better cabin.

There very well could be a large charter group on your sailing and NCL may be trying to make room for them. If that is the case, you may want to consider a switch as large groups can have an impact on the rest of the ship as they will have venues and events specifically reserved for the charter group.

Hadn't thought of that...

Nothing I can do until I check with my boss about moving my vacation anyway but knowing there is or is not a large group would be good info. Forwarned is forearmed....

Edited by Medtech2

Please copy the e-mail (word for word) here for a better understanding of the language issue surrounding "the same itinerary" and the terms of the "upsell".

It was from the "upsell" desk/e-mail:

We would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to change your current reservation and receive a free upgrade to a Balcony at no additional cost if you move to the same Itinerary aboard Norwegian Spirit on one the following sail dates:

Applicable sail dates:

November 21, 28, 2015

December 5, 12 and 19, 2015

It was from the "upsell" desk/e-mail:

We would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to change your current reservation and receive a free upgrade to a Balcony at no additional cost if you move to the same Itinerary aboard Norwegian Spirit on one the following sail dates:

Applicable sail dates:

November 21, 28, 2015

December 5, 12 and 19, 2015

That is indeed strange - 3 of the dates are Eastern and 2 are Western. The confusion of "same itinerary" is understood considering your sailing is/was Western.

I tried to call our PCC but reached the voicemail instead.

I tried to make a mock booking on our cruise and there were several cabins available in our oceanview category.

Just talked to our PCC and she is just as confused as we are. Especially since there are different dates and different ships. She is going to contact the Upsell Dept and get back with us tonight or tomorrow.

I think the key to the offer is the dates offered for switching. I suspect that NCL is not selling as many rooms rooms in between Thanksgiving and XMAS. This is the low season for the cruise industry. So, they are just offering folks a small 'upgrade' in order for them to fill the ships in early December. They know that they can move the rooms in January-March.

Another thing to think about......the cost of an oceanview in February may actually be more than the cost of a balcony in early December.

With all that being said, if I wasn't tied into traveling certain dates, I would counter offer with a request to go from inside to balcony OR oceanview to mini-suite.

With all that being said, if I wasn't tied into traveling certain dates, I would counter offer with a request to go from inside to balcony OR oceanview to mini-suite.

shoot as long as you are asking....go for a suite!;)

Yep just got the same email but for a Mexican Riviera cruise in January '16 on the Jewel. This is a really weird email. I have never cruised Norwegian before so I don't know if they do this normally, but I have never got an email to VOLUNTARILY change my sail date. I am confused on why they would do this. I am thinking about doing it though because that means I can then cruise soooner in Oct or Nov.

I think the key to the offer is the dates offered for switching. I suspect that NCL is not selling as many rooms rooms in between Thanksgiving and XMAS. This is the low season for the cruise industry. So, they are just offering folks a small 'upgrade' in order for them to fill the ships in early December. They know that they can move the rooms in January-March.

Another thing to think about......the cost of an oceanview in February may actually be more than the cost of a balcony in early December.

We always sail between Thanksgiving and Christmas and the ships are always full!! Certainly not a slow time. I think the OP's cruise has an issue (charter etc) and they are trying to move people.

February is a very popular month for large group cruises. A group isn't really a bad thing. many times they will just have some kind of group seminar on the first sea day (that will keep them out of the pools that afternoon). They will seat them all together in the MDR, and the rest of the time they can do what they like. It's a good way to take a vacation and write it off on your taxes.

Yep just got the same email but for a Mexican Riviera cruise in January '16 on the Jewel. This is a really weird email. I have never cruised Norwegian before so I don't know if they do this normally, but I have never got an email to VOLUNTARILY change my sail date. I am confused on why they would do this. I am thinking about doing it though because that means I can then cruise soooner in Oct or Nov.

What is the date of your Jewel cruise? We're booked on her for Jan 24th. Do you mind sharing the offer they sent you?

We would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to change your current reservation and receive a free upgrade to a Mini-Suite at no additional cost if you move to the same Itinerary aboard Norwegian Jewel on one the following sail dates:*

Applicable sail dates:

October. 4, 11, 18, 2015.

November* 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29, 2015

December 6, 13 and 20, 2015

This offer is intended for those guests with flexibility in their travel plans. Please see full Balcony details below.

The number of volunteers will be limited, so this offer is on a first-come, first-served basis!

Category: Mini-Suite

Total Approximate Size: 272+ sq. ft.

Floor Plan

This special offer is available for a limited time while supplies last.

Please contact your Travel Professional or Norwegian Cruise Line at 1.800.625.4309 to take advantage of this offer.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard,

Norwegian Cruise Line

We received this same email today for our January 31, 2016 cruise on the Jewel for the Mexican Riviera.

Not sure we want to switch dates but am very curious as to why they are offering this.

We're on the 11/29 Mexican Riviera sailing of the Jewel. The price we reserved dropped $700 last month so I immediately contacted our TA to take advantage of it. The TA was also able to get us the current perk package, so in addition to the $700 price drop, we ended up with the UDP, UBP, shore ex credit, and paid DSC. A total score for us.

My best guess is they're trying to fill cabins. We booked an aft penthouse and there are still several available. Selfishly, I hope there aren't a lot of takers and they have to drop prices again...before final payment, of course.

Katink

Not sure we want to switch dates but am very curious as to why they are offering this.

Same thoughts here. I am VERY curious. Why do they want me to cruise in Oct, Nov, Dec instead? The prices then are even HIGHER than my January sail date.

Edited by bonnie&clydecruzers

Thanks to those that posted receiving free upgrade offers for changing cruise dates. We (two couples) had two oceanview staterooms with ultimate beverage package at a very good price under old promo for January 24th on the Jewel.

I looked at the stateroom availability for December 6th and found two adjoining BA balcony staterooms port side. Called and talked to reassignment department first who was going to make the change, then realized we were booked through travel agency. I called travel agency and walked them through what we wanted to do .... they called reassigment number and got the same person :) It is a done deal - balconies with same pricing and Ultimate Beverage Package. Nice to be retired and have some flexibility with travel planning :)