Should I get "Cheers" package?

psk2347

SO I too am wondering about the Cheers package. I should look up what's included. My family has 2 cabins with me being listed in 1 (with my DDs) and DH in the other (with DS) and we are linked so that we get seated together for early dinner seating. Can just DH buy it? He would def get his $$$ worth but i wonder if I would.

Though he drinks Fosters as that's the cheapest way to drink. He'd have to drink, what, 6 of them a day to make it worth it...but he'd likely drink better beer and rum/diet if he had cheers package.

I like Mimosas, fruity drinks, beer, rum/diets, wine, martinis...I like it all and to mix it up on a cruise but will only get 2 or 3 drinks a day because they cost so much...so maybe I would be able to get my money's worth. I'll have to go back and look at prices. Can you do the martini sampler/flight thingy on the cheers package? Can you just get soda?

Maybe I'll add it as a Xmas present for my DH...cruise is booked for Aug 2016.

So google is my friend. I see we can get soda and virgin drinks too. But only 15 booze drinks per day. ANd under $10 each drink, so no martini tasting (boo :()...can I get half the flight (2/4) or order a whole 1 off the flight/tasting menu?

Edited by laumicmah

The Cheers program isn't worth it for us. Last cruise in April, we brought on 4 bottles of wine, 32 oz of rum, 16 oz of vodka, 16 oz of bourbon. At the first port we brought on another bottle of wine and 3 six packs of beer. Our bar bill was less than $10 on our s&s.

I never knew CCL allows you to bring 6packs of beer from a port to drink on the ship :confused:

I never knew CCL allows you to bring 6packs of beer from a port to drink on the ship :confused:

In San Juan, they basically let you bring on anything it seemed. Wine Juice boxes, bottles of liquor, wine. They weren't even checking on embarkation day. Wierd.

I just really wish the coffees were included! Silly wish I know. But it's silly thing not to include as a extra incentive

Agree. I don't *think* that is unreasonable at all. Each coffee drink should count as minus one drink off the 15 max drinks per day. It would make many additional cruisers happy. I'm pretty sure you can order all the fancy non alcoholic drinks too off the cheers program - virgin this and that - and they do count against the 15 max per day. I think the coffee shacks are operated by Carnival, but not certain if owned and operated. If they are not owned and operated by Carnival that would explain why the coffee drinks are NOT included...

I am also not sure whether sodas count against the 15 drink max per day under cheers. I would hope not...

Agree. I don't *think* that is unreasonable at all. Each coffee drink should count as minus one drink off the 15 max drinks per day. It would make many additional cruisers happy. I'm pretty sure you can order all the fancy non alcoholic drinks too off the cheers program - virgin this and that - and they do count against the 15 max per day. I think the coffee shacks are operated by Carnival, but not certain if owned and operated. If they are not owned and operated by Carnival that would explain why the coffee drinks are NOT included...

I am also not sure whether sodas count against the 15 drink max per day under cheers. I would hope not...

they do not, neither of those. you can get as many virgin frozen drinks or sodas as you want during the course of a day, and they do not count against the 15 drink limit. only alcoholic drinks do.

I see all these posts about cheers. Is it worth it, or isn't it. Here's my thoughts. The wife, and I always use to vacation with a budget in mind. What always ended up happening is we spent more than we planned. Now that we been together for 14 years, we know that there isn't really a budget on vacation. I feel a lot of people don't get the cheers cause they are being cheap. Buy it, have a few extra cocktails.

I have a cruise this august, and can't wait to have the cheers package. For us it's a no brainer. We love the fruity stuff being that we are on vacation. we will get our moneys worth for sure. If you only drink beer it's not worth it though

they do not, neither of those. you can get as many virgin frozen drinks or sodas as you want during the course of a day, and they do not count against the 15 drink limit. only alcoholic drinks do.

Oh good, thanks!

In San Juan, they basically let you bring on anything it seemed. Wine Juice boxes, bottles of liquor, wine. They weren't even checking on embarkation day. Wierd.

THe thing is, the security alarm would sound as you pass through security returning from a port.

a metal cap on a bottle of rum would set the alarm off and you need to hand over the stuff to security

Thats why I cant see how the other poster got 6packs of beer on board

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

THe thing is, the security alarm would sound as you pass through security returning from a port.

a metal cap on a bottle of rum would set the alarm off and you need to hand over the stuff to security

Thats why I cant see how the other poster got 6packs of beer on board

Someone isn't telling the truth. Lol

Someone posted that it is possible people don't buy the Cheers package because of being cheap. I find that to be untrue. Many don't buy it because of the restrictions. Every adult in a cabin must purchase it. My husband is mainly a beer drinker and prefers to buy it by the bucket, Cheers will not allow you to do this. I on the other hand may drink once a month, on a cruise I may drink a couple of times a week. As convenient as Cheers may be it is definitely not for us. Bottomless bubbles would also be a waste of time for us because I don't drink Coke products and my husband doesn't drink soda.

For those who can benefit from Cheers, good for you. We'll buy our drinks on board. By the way, we did take advantage of the reduced price of water and ordered some.

Most of my cruises are over 10 days, so it's not worth it to me. I don't like to drink everyday. To bad you can't purchase it on a day to day basis.

Now that I'm older, I also care more about my health, than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's, so I watch more what I eat and drink now. I do like my occasional martini, but 1 or 2 is enough for me. LOL

I think for those that think it is worth it for them, go for it.

They don't. I had 3 six packs of beer and a bottle of wine in my backpack. I also had a bottle of liquor in a separate bag. When I passed security, a screener yelled to the alcohol collection desk that I had alcohol. I gave the desk person my bottle of tequila and walked to my cabin with the rest of my drinks.

Someone isn't telling the truth. Lol

We never brought anything back from Port, at all. We had pre purchased from Bon Voyage bottles of vodka and rum also, so I feel like that could be why it wasn't noticed in the cabin. The interesting flavors that we bought in PR of Bicardi remained unopened and all but one of the Sangria juice boxes went in the trash so it really didn't do me any good anyhow.

We had checked in San Juan, then left to go get water and I saw those juice boxes idk if it was at the CVS or the place inside and HAD to have them.

I have gone both ways. First time was a 5 day from Galveston so I found the one benefit of the silly Texas rule of no cheers on day one to actually be helpful. After checking my bar bill from day 1 I ran to by cheers and was glad to do it. Only got off the boat at Coz. so it was truly a bargain.

Next time on Conquest it was a waste. One $20 tip to my fav. bartender at the alchemy bar rendered pint glass sized old fashions the rest of the week and I was done after 2 at night.

YMMV but to anyone agonizing over this. Stop stressing it now, try it once and even if you don't drink as much as you think, at least you will have a fixed cost with no surprises.

Edited by mbalmr71
spelling

I have gone both ways. First time was a 5 day from Galveston so I found the one benefit of the silly Texas rule of no cheers on day one to actually be helpful. After checking my bar bill from day 1 I ran to by cheers and was glad to do it. Only got off the boat at Coz. so it was truly a bargain.

Next time on Conquest it was a waste. One $20 tip to my fav. bartender at the alchemy bar rendered pint glass sized old fashions the rest of the week and I was done after 2 at night.

YMMV but to anyone agonizing over this. Stop stressing it now, try it once and even if you don't drink as much as you think, at least you will have a fixed cost with no surprises.

Good advice!!! I like the way you think!