Which port gives the best chance of seeing an Orca?

Dancer9933

We are cruising in July from Seward to Vancouver and stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan. Orca whales are my big desire for Alaska and I am trying to figure out which port is my best bet. I would love to see them while kayaking in either ISP or Ketchikan but I assume it's all luck. Any insight appreciated.

We are cruising in July from Seward to Vancouver and stopping in Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan. Orca whales are my big desire for Alaska and I am trying to figure out which port is my best bet. I would love to see them while kayaking in either ISP or Ketchikan but I assume it's all luck. Any insight appreciated.

You can forget trying to see them while kayaking.

Your "best" area would be to spend several extra days and go to Vancouver Island. I like north, with Port Hardy, and Telegraph cove being good options. Otherwise, Victoria is an option.

Vancouver offers orca tours, but I don't see as good success stats compared to Vancouver Island. Even so- I've been parked 4 days one trip with them never getting within range, so can be skunked with not seeing orcas even with multiple days.

With your priority, you need to stack your decks and get out at every opportunity. You already made mention of not "spending" money for bear tours in Hoonah- which can be VERY successful, so are multiple boats tours going to be considered by you?

IF you were to try out of Hoonah- you HAVE to have a boat tour, extreme- very small chance of seeing any- with a kayak rental, which probably doesn't even have a mile of range.

Other places- to get boat tours- are Juneau and Seward- needing at least 6 hours on the water there.

I've seen orcas many many times on boat tours, but I'm talking about having taken at least 50+ trips out of Juneau alone, another 25+ out of Seward.

Finally- your last sailing day- check your route maps on your tv. And when you start seeing land, Queen Charlotte's, inside Vancouver Island, get out on a forward deck- with a good pair of wide angle binoculars (a must), then STAY out. I've had very good success of seeing orcas- however- many people won't miss a meal, won't spend the considerable amount of time that is necessary, and simply aren't interested. I'm frequently out by myself. :)

Vancouver - none of the other ports have resident pods close enough to be reliably sighted.

Scheduling a tour after your cruise with Wild Whales from Granville Island is your best chance of seeing Orcas on a single trip - unlike the other companies out of Steveston or Victoria their trip length is indeterminate, staying out up to seven hours if you haven't yet seen a whale.

All the local companies offer a 'keep coming back for free until you do see a whale' guarantee, but unless you can spend another day in town it's not much help...

The really good news is this is also by *far* the cheapest way (edit - unless of course you get really lucky and see them off the cruise ship or shore of course!) to see whales - our dollar is 80-85 cents US right now so a tour is only going to cost you about US$115.

Edited by martincath

Wow I hadn't even thought about Vancouver and $115 is a great price! I plan to have a very good relationship with my binoculars by the end of the cruise, thanks for the advice on when to look constantly.

Edited by Dancer9933

Wow I hadn't even thought about Vancouver and $115 is a great price! I plan to have a very good relationship with my binoculars by the end of the cruise, thanks for the advice on when to look constantly.

There a pod of Orcas directly in Vancouver Harbor near Canada Place.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

the southern resident pods hang out in the waters between Victoria and the WA coast; a pretty large territory. If you're on a day trip that is more than 3-4 hrs you have good chance of seeing them.

If you have any time in Seattle, there are orca viewing trips out of Anacortes, about an hr north of Seattle.

Look at the vendors web sites .... Victoria, Vancouver, Anacortes; they typically post their sightings each day. If the company only has 1 departure per day the log will be an excellent indication as to your chances. They're usually pretty slow until mid May, then pick up thru the end of Sept.

Some thoughts...

• if you are going to Victoria/Seattle... consider Prince of Whales.... you can whale watch your way from Vancouver to Victoria with your luggage. http://princeofwhales.com/vancouver/
  • I took a Granville Island whale tour a few years ago and if I had to do it again.... I'm departing from Richmond/Steveston.
    • the Granville Island tour took us down to the San Juan. The ride from Granville Island to Steveston was long and rough. While the segment from the Fraser River to the San Juan was smooth.
    • get to see Storybrooke
    • Steveston is Richmond's Granville Island.
    • $15 shuttle from downtown hotel or you can explore public transit w/ subway for $4.
    • http://www.vancouverwhalewatch.com/ haven't used their service, so I welcome hearing other's experiences.

Here is some tape that were around Canada Place and Coal Harbour today. However, they are part of a transient pod and likely aren't around this evening. They just came in Vancouver's harbour to get a good feed of seals.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2068947/raw-close-up-encounter-with-orcas/

Wow! Great video. Thanks for posting it. We were lucky enough to catch a transient pod of 6 out of Juneau, but they're so fast and we had to be so far away that I didn't get a lot of great photos. I got some, though.

We were on a whale watch in Juneau and had already seen a bunch of hump back whales when our captain got a radio call that a pod of orca's had been sighted, we raced across the water and got to see that amazing sight, they were so close to the boat you could almost touch them. Truly a great day!