Tracy Arm & Juneau - Question on Whale Watching from a California Resident

s0479

We will be on the Celebrity Solstice in June 2016. I'm trying to plan our Juneau day. We will be doing the small boat tour for the Tracy Arm from 8:30-1:30 and then in Juneau until 10 pm. I don't know if we are tendering or docking (my schedule doesn't say though, it did for our last cruise to Europe hmmm). I don't want to feel too rushed especially since my mom is going and while she is doing great she's not a spring chicken either :-). We were looking at doing whale watching and the Mendenhall Glacier. My question is - we are very fortunate in California to be close to whale watching almost year around, they are either coming or going, in fact I just went on a great trip in Monterey Bay this year and saw many humpbacks. For those who have done whale watching in CA and Alaska is the experience different enough to do it in Alaska too?? I'm just trying to decide if it is worth the time/money or should I put my time/money to something else so I thought I'd get some opinions, I'm really going back and forth! Thanks in advanced.

We will be on the Celebrity Solstice in June 2016. I'm trying to plan our Juneau day. We will be doing the small boat tour for the Tracy Arm from 8:30-1:30 and then in Juneau until 10 pm. I don't know if we are tendering or docking (my schedule doesn't say though, it did for our last cruise to Europe hmmm). I don't want to feel too rushed especially since my mom is going and while she is doing great she's not a spring chicken either :-). We were looking at doing whale watching and the Mendenhall Glacier. My question is - we are very fortunate in California to be close to whale watching almost year around, they are either coming or going, in fact I just went on a great trip in Monterey Bay this year and saw many humpbacks. For those who have done whale watching in CA and Alaska is the experience different enough to do it in Alaska too?? I'm just trying to decide if it is worth the time/money or should I put my time/money to something else so I thought I'd get some opinions, I'm really going back and forth! Thanks in advanced.

You would be seeing feeding behaviors in Alaska, which you don't in Ca. The ONLY reason to choose this tour- is IF YOU want to see humpbacks? Your post has the edge, of it not being a priority- seen them before- available "year round" (which they aren't with humpbacks) different enough? time and money? etc? At face value- it appears it wouldn't be the best choice for you? Are there other tours that you are interested in?

You would be seeing feeding behaviors in Alaska, which you don't in Ca. The ONLY reason to choose this tour- is IF YOU want to see humpbacks? Your post has the edge, of it not being a priority- seen them before- available "year round" (which they aren't with humpbacks) different enough? time and money? etc? At face value- it appears it wouldn't be the best choice for you? Are there other tours that you are interested in?

I love all types of animals and love to whale watch - so its more trying to get the most out of our trip. I know I can see whales and humpbacks two hours from my home, but like you said maybe the behavior I see here will be different in Alaska - I don't know as I've never been. Though we did see lots of feeding on my last Monterey trip, though it may not have been the same kind. I was set on whale watching but then wondered if there is something else that I can't easily do near my home that would be better experienced on this trip. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer just trying to get options and opinions.

......I'm just trying to decide if it is worth the time/money or should I put my time/money to something else so I thought I'd get some opinions, I'm really going back and forth! Thanks in advanced.
Afraid there is no easy Yes or No answer here.

I would say that the answer depends on personal priorities, a combination of how much one enjoys whale watching and one's financial resources.

Whale watching tours in Alaska are expensive and a gamble because even though we know that we will see whales, each time we go not knowing whether it will turn out to be a "wow" experience or only a so-so experience.

You may see different feeding behaviors, or you might not. We went whale watching in early June and didn't get to see bubble feeding or breaching. We did see plenty of whales (spouts, backs, tails, baby, pectoral fins), but no spectacular behaviors. If there is something else you are interested in that is unique to Alaska, I would do that. If the chance of seeing bubble feeding is alluring enough, give it a go and hope for good luck!

You may see different feeding behaviors, or you might not. We went whale watching in early June and didn't get to see bubble feeding or breaching. We did see plenty of whales (spouts, backs, tails, baby, pectoral fins), but no spectacular behaviors. If there is something else you are interested in that is unique to Alaska, I would do that. If the chance of seeing bubble feeding is alluring enough, give it a go and hope for good luck!

Thanks appreciate the feed back so far! I have some ideas of what else we could do just thought I'd see if anyone could comment on whale watching in both places :-) Of course seeing something specific is never guaranteed!

I love all types of animals and love to whale watch - so its more trying to get the most out of our trip. I know I can see whales and humpbacks two hours from my home, but like you said maybe the behavior I see here will be different in Alaska - I don't know as I've never been. Though we did see lots of feeding on my last Monterey trip, though it may not have been the same kind. I was set on whale watching but then wondered if there is something else that I can't easily do near my home that would be better experienced on this trip. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer just trying to get options and opinions.

Actually, it would not have been a "lot of feeding" behavior seen for humpbacks out of Ca. There is little food there and the reason, they make all that more effort and go to Alaska. They can not live on what is outside of Ca. Greys seem to have a more southern range- a major feeding area I've been to Newport Oregon, where they are seen year round. But not humpbacks.

An above post is misleading- You will ALWAYS see feeding behaviors on whale watches, it isn't exclusively bubble netting. Clear evidence are the dives- and that beautiful fluke viewing and identification of who you are seeing. :) There are many other behaviors they use. The only reason they go all the way to Alaska is to eat, probably like 18/20 hours per day- every day. :) Leaving the prior year, they can loose 1/3 of their weight.

An off topic, but I whale watch more frequently out of Gloucester to Jeffreys Ledge and Stellwagen Bank. An interesting adaptation that I've witnessed are the humpbacks, crossing over, and using some of the Fin whale techniques with lunge feeding. Even though pure humpbacks, the Pacific and Atlantic are 2 separate animal groups, with the Atlantic having a lot of white pectoral fins that glow neon green under the water. Very different sighting potentials. :) Fin whales are very interesting as well, very fast and different coloring on each side. :) I've also had the pleasure of seeing the rare Right whales, and loads of pilots.

OK, settle down BQ- :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Actually, it would not have been a "lot of feeding" behavior seen for humpbacks out of Ca. There is little food there and the reason, they make all that more effort and go to Alaska. They can not live on what is outside of Ca. Greys seem to have a more southern range- a major feeding area I've been to Newport Oregon, where they are seen year round. But not humpbacks.

An above post is misleading- You will ALWAYS see feeding behaviors on whale watches, it isn't exclusively bubble netting. Clear evidence are the dives- and that beautiful fluke viewing and identification of who you are seeing. :) There are many other behaviors they use. The only reason they go all the way to Alaska is to eat, probably like 18/20 hours per day- every day. :) Leaving the prior year, they can loose 1/3 of their weight.

An off topic, but I whale watch more frequently out of Gloucester to Jeffreys Ledge and Stellwagen Bank. An interesting adaptation that I've witnessed are the humpbacks, crossing over, and using some of the Fin whale techniques with lunge feeding. Even though pure humpbacks, the Pacific and Atlantic are 2 separate animal groups, with the Atlantic having a lot of white pectoral fins that glow neon green under the water. Very different sighting potentials. :) Fin whales are very interesting as well, very fast and different coloring on each side. :) I've also had the pleasure of seeing the rare Right whales, and loads of pilots.

OK, settle down BQ- :)

Actually the food in Monterey has been crazy the last few years with tons of anchovies very close to shore. I saw quite a few humpbacks lunge feeding along with many many many sea lions, it was crazy! Saw them from my campsite in 2013 and on my whale watching tour in April this year. It was amazing!!

First off you are so lucky that you get to see whales close to where you live. If you like whales and want to see them in the "cold" environment with mountains in the background then go for it. Humpbacks very rarely breach in Alaska, so you would only get to see the bubble netting behavior. It is really up to you to be honest.

First off you are so lucky that you get to see whales close to where you live. If you like whales and want to see them in the "cold" environment with mountains in the background then go for it. Humpbacks very rarely breach in Alaska, so you would only get to see the bubble netting behavior. It is really up to you to be honest.

Yes we are very fortunate!!! We are leaning towards doing something more land based since we don't know when or if we'll ever get back to Alaska but know the wonderful whales come visiting near us every year.