Our large family adventure on the Adventure of the Seas (6.13.15)

We had quite a busy first and only day at sea.

Breakfast was in the main dining room. The eggs benedict were good as always. It took quite a while, but we were in no real rush. On a side note, my sister-in-law is 26 and looks young, but not 12. They served her the kids portion, we thought as a joke... but the real adult sized meal never came. She had 2 small pancakes and 2 sticks of bacon. It was annoying and led to us needing snacks later.

From the dining room, we went to the spa to see if they had any last minute spots available, we both wanted to get 1 hour massages. Only one half hour massage was available, we declined but gave them our room numbers.

Off we went to pack up and get things cleaned up so we wouldn't be rushed at the end of the night to get our things together.

After a bit of relaxing, we headed up to lunch in the Windjammer. It was not so spectacular, I wish we had gone to the Main Dining room- we just didn't have the time. We had soggy fried chicken, overcooked corn on the cobb and luke warm potatoes. Disappointing.

From there, we went up to the golf simulator. One thing you should note is that it is $25/hour. That is for as many golfers as you'd like to add. So we had quite a few people in there at one point, and it was just $25 for the hour. And they went on break from 2-3 (we had it booked from 1-2) and they told us we could stay for an extra 1/2 hour or so at no charge as long as we were gone by the time they got back. At 2:45 we finished up. If you have anyone that is a little older and hasn't golfed in a while, this may be great for them. Not very well air conditioned (but then again, neither was most of the ship) but we had our 84 year old grand parents golfing again. His grandmother enjoyed it so much that she left saying "Maybe I can still play" That was awesome!

edited-5_zps99zszyqe.jpg

From golf, we went up to Cloud 9 where the kids played with the toys and some 20+ of us played cards and just enjoyed. It was no wait at all to get drinks from the bar tender, and we could also watch the belly flop contest. I can only watch so much of it- so after a while, I figured listening to the "OOOOOH" from the rest of the crowd up there watching was sufficient enough. Poor fellas.

Nice review..we will going on the AOS in Nov, doing the St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Grenada, Antigua itinerary...question: was there a lobster tail night? Usually it's the 2nd formal night, OR next to last night..my friends went on the AOS in Feb. '14, and were not impressed at all by the food or shows..they are almost Diamond and said it was the worst RCI cruise as far as dining went..only Giovanni's ( it was still Portifinos then) was good- all 6 other nights were between mediocre & pretty bad..shows the same..in fact, I asked them to join us in Nov. & they said, "not even if it was free"...they liked the service & loved the ports..just food & shows they gave hands down..also, did you see the singer in the British Pub at all? Thanks again..looking forward to the Pitons excursion a lot!!

Big Al

Thank you so much first of all for your reviews of this same itinerary my family of 16 are going. It was great to get the reviews ahead of time and to know what to expect and what to look out for!

It looks that your family had a grand time despite some obstacles! :)

We are looking forward to our traveling there in 17 days. We are staying one night pre-cruise on July 24th

I have been anxiously asking for the compass for this itinerary, and you pulled it through for me, and really appreciate it! :D

Thanks again for your reviews certainly enjoy every moment and again for the compass

Nice review..we will going on the AOS in Nov, doing the St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Grenada, Antigua itinerary...question: was there a lobster tail night? Usually it's the 2nd formal night, OR next to last night..my friends went on the AOS in Feb. '14, and were not impressed at all by the food or shows..they are almost Diamond and said it was the worst RCI cruise as far as dining went..only Giovanni's ( it was still Portifinos then) was good- all 6 other nights were between mediocre & pretty bad..shows the same..in fact, I asked them to join us in Nov. & they said, "not even if it was free"...they liked the service & loved the ports..just food & shows they gave hands down..also, did you see the singer in the British Pub at all? Thanks again..looking forward to the Pitons excursion a lot!!

Big Al

On the shows:

-Loved the a Capella group

-Didn't like the Rock of Ages show so much. Ok, just not my favorite Genre

-Liked the ice show, but some of it was just weird and made me question the choreography

-There was a vegas trio, they were OK, but I would have preferred more traditional music for a trio of tenors, not the popular stuff they tried

-Opening comedian (Kivi) was fantastic

-Love and Marriage is the same ole same ole

-Quest is the same but usually good for a laugh or 10

-Didn’t like the last “Adult” comedian. Just not as funny as Kivi

I know you probably won’t have all of the same acts- but you can look them up and see if they’ll be back on your ship, most will show what their schedule is online. Ultimately, it is very subjective. I know that other people loved the tenors and rock show, and so on. I would just say to go in with an open mind, if you don’t like something, leave- there were plenty of people who got up and left at various points of the show. It’s your vacation, spend it how you would like. There is also always the free entertainment in the promenade: music in the pub (fantastic cover guy!) piano bar, karaoke, people watching- my all-time favorite… Enjoy!

On the shows:

-Loved the a Capella group

-Didn't like the Rock of Ages show so much. Ok, just not my favorite Genre

-Liked the ice show, but some of it was just weird and made me question the choreography

-There was a vegas trio, they were OK, but I would have preferred more traditional music for a trio of tenors, not the popular stuff they tried

-Opening comedian (Kivi) was fantastic

-Love and Marriage is the same ole same ole

-Quest is the same but usually good for a laugh or 10

-Didn’t like the last “Adult” comedian. Just not as funny as Kivi

I know you probably won’t have all of the same acts- but you can look them up and see if they’ll be back on your ship, most will show what their schedule is online. Ultimately, it is very subjective. I know that other people loved the tenors and rock show, and so on. I would just say to go in with an open mind, if you don’t like something, leave- there were plenty of people who got up and left at various points of the show. It’s your vacation, spend it how you would like. There is also always the free entertainment in the promenade: music in the pub (fantastic cover guy!) piano bar, karaoke, people watching- my all-time favorite… Enjoy!

Thanks for the update..you didn't mention about the lobster tails night....yes or no & on the formal night? Thanks again...

Thanks for the update..you didn't mention about the lobster tails night....yes or no & on the formal night? Thanks again...

Oh yes- plenty of lobster tails. My 2 year old had one to herself, I think my husband had 2.5 and I had .5 (I've never been a huge fan :eek:)

It was on the second formal night (Night 6) and it was also prime rib night. You could easily order multiple entrees that night. They were passing out extra lobster tails towards the end of service.

Oh yes- plenty of lobster tails. My 2 year old had one to herself, I think my husband had 2.5 and I had .5 (I've never been a huge fan :eek:)

It was on the second formal night (Night 6) and it was also prime rib night. You could easily order multiple entrees that night. They were passing out extra lobster tails towards the end of service.

Thanks, good news, though DW hates lobster,lol...