Our large family adventure on the Adventure of the Seas (6.13.15)

Can I ask how Orient beach was? The water looks calm enough for little ones. Were there many people topless? That is one reason I am hesitating going there as we'll have kids (and I'll be uncomfortable myself)...but also thinking of the Bernard Tours that people talk about and that's the beach they stop at.

Conditions of the beach were better than San Juan by far. She didn't even go near the water in San Juan because it was rough. That being said, she was 2 and could walk the distant area where the waves splashed down and rolled onto her feet here, but there were still some fairly large waves out in the water when we were holding her, and there was a small shelf that I had to navigate when bringing her in. The best beach we had for her was Antigua, hardly any waves and she could have walked right in if we had let her.

In terms of nudity, we saw some. There are two sides of the beach, we were on the side that didn't claim to be topless friendly. I think I saw the oldest lady with a boob job (when it should be illegal). If I had to think back to how much we saw, probably 5-8 topless women. TONS of topless men ;) two men were wearing a sarong with nothing underneath... it was a windy day. Lastly, there was one man who wore nothing, and we were concerned for how you properly apply sunscreen :eek::eek: it wasn't over the top and never in your face, just people walking the beach- easy enough to avert eyes, or giggle if that's what you want to do :D

Moving right along!

. Many shops were damaged by a recent hurricane. According to multiple shop owners, they are tearing all of the shops down, moving back about 30 yards and putting in a boardwalk. It will really change the feel of the beach, and I’m just not sure how I feel about it. They said they would be starting in July- so interested to see what people think in the coming months.

There is a Saint Maarten group on Facebook that has been updating with pictures of the demolition that has just begun.

Conditions of the beach were better than San Juan by far. She didn't even go near the water in San Juan because it was rough. That being said, she was 2 and could walk the distant area where the waves splashed down and rolled onto her feet here, but there were still some fairly large waves out in the water when we were holding her, and there was a small shelf that I had to navigate when bringing her in. The best beach we had for her was Antigua, hardly any waves and she could have walked right in if we had let her.

In terms of nudity, we saw some. There are two sides of the beach, we were on the side that didn't claim to be topless friendly. I think I saw the oldest lady with a boob job (when it should be illegal). If I had to think back to how much we saw, probably 5-8 topless women. TONS of topless men ;) two men were wearing a sarong with nothing underneath... it was a windy day. Lastly, there was one man who wore nothing, and we were concerned for how you properly apply sunscreen :eek::eek: it wasn't over the top and never in your face, just people walking the beach- easy enough to avert eyes, or giggle if that's what you want to do :D

Thank you for the feedback. Your little girl is adorable by the way from your pictures. The beach does sounds good for kids in terms of waves, but not so sure if we'll avoid it because of it being topless.

Great review so far.

I certainly hope you opted for the dining room for breakfast....every breakfast food item you'd want, and it's SERVED to you!

We did! On our one and only Sea Day- we opted for the slower pace of breakfast, and it was wonderful- I don't think I took pictures. I have to apologize from here on out because I was mainly chasing an almost 2 year old, I didn't have my camera at the ready all the time! But I have some other great and not so great things to review :)

“A mixed bag” is the nicest way I can describe the dining room experience. We had a LOT of issues. There were 33 of us at 5 tables, with traditional dining. (we have cruised as a large group previously, and it was not this bad).

The first night was terribly slow. To the point where I thought maybe everyone was new staff in some kind of mass changeover the day that we boarded in San Juan. They were not. Swapneel was our waiter, and he was clearly frustrated with the kitchen, and his assistant waiter. We sat there and weren’t offered bread until our entrees came. On another night, we were in a different section, and only half of the table was ever offered water (even after asking, twice). Unacceptable. I think there was an issue with our section, as we were always leaving an empty dining room, it was just us and the 4 or so tables next to us. It was frustrating.

We have a cousin who has a gluten allergy. (no, not the fad thing going around, actually has the genetic condition for it) She specifically ordered items that were marked gluten free. One night she was brought a meal with the same protein as she ordered, but it was a meal that had gluten in it. She could have been made violently ill if she hadn’t checked with someone. The wait staff was aware of the issue.

On a more minor note, dishes were constantly being delivered to the incorrect people. Or they were “selling” the dishes tableside. Annoying.

The kids meals are supposed to come with a fruit salad. We had two one year olds in our group, our cousin’s daughter got it most nights, we got it nights 1, 2, and 5. It was most unfortunate and frustrating. We kept having to ask for something extra, no anticipation of needs with a child. We were lucky if we got it with the first request.

On night 3, I was frustrated enough that I went to the head waiter for our floor. I asked if they had recently reduced staffing or if the staff was completely new. He acted genuinely surprised and said he would “look into it.” It worked for one night, and then it was back to poor service, rarely with a smile. I wish we could have stayed at Swapneel’s table the whole time, as he was friendly, smiled, told us about the next port and cared. The other two women we had were disinterested at best.

A note on Italian night: don’t go here after going to Giovanni’s table, you are bound to be disappointed. The lasagna was made with meat that I would describe as “Taco Bell Leftovers” it was that grainy, tiny ground beef that you questioned as you ate. I did however love the bay scallops served in the same dish as the escargot with a garlic butter sauce and a bread stick to dip. I wanted 2 more bread sticks! That was delicious!

I will say that we missed the parade of flags (Maybe that was our one night in Giovanni's, but I doubt it because other said they missed it too) It was always fun to see flags of all the different countries the servers/cooks/bar staff were from. They did still have the Italian night of waving the napkins.

Parade%20of%20Waiters_zpsuq3jei7v.jpg

There was a trio of desserts on the menu and they were ok. I didn’t care for the gelatin topped one, but the rest were good.

Dessert_zpscgaepdbo.jpg

It was past bedtime most nights when we were done in the dining room- this night in particular, our daughter wanted to tell us she was ready for bed:

dd3dd6ce-7ac1-470b-9391-331bb66f1523_zpsprvzzzfy.jpg

But she got a second wind when she heard the music playing right outside of the dining room on the 4th floor, so we danced a little, had another round of drinks and relaxed before enjoying the show for the night.

6a406e5c-f994-4769-9867-a4b481eb4477_zpsbgxbohfo.jpg

It was re:Voiced. They were phenomenal. I wanted them to come and sing our daughter to sleep. I sent my husband to buy their CD and they either ran out or my husband ran out of patience (more likely). If you get the opportunity to see them, take it!

reVoiced_zpsqydwn1td.jpg

The welcome back party was also this night, and the promenade was PACKED. We avoided like the plague and got to bed a little early. But others were trapped in different areas on the Royal Promenade. We would probably watch from a distance next time.

Welcome%20Back_zps3rhmtac4.jpg

Next stop: true paradise, Antigua

We decided to go to Dickenson Beach for the day while in Antigua. I had some concerns about reviews, but we decided it would be a good stop for us. We got a cab driver, Mike (pictured below) and asked him to drop us off at the best place on that beach. Boy did he ever. It was the Caribbean Beach Club, and for $5/chair, $10/umbrella, we had a small little cove practically to ourselves. We didn’t feel like we were near the big Sandals resort that we could see in the distance. It was wonderful. We stayed in the water most of the day and it had the best sand of our trip.

7f8a042c-92eb-4159-8933-35f9d8390963_zpsyi4wwnsr.jpg

We ate at the restaurant for lunch. Service was slow and somewhat surly, but if you want big portions this is a good place (who needs to eat that much for lunch when they’ve got cruise ship dinner coming up??). Just make sure you look up the EC$ exchange rate before you go.

We brought a sun shade with us, and I think we would probably leave it at home next time, unless we were going to beaches where we had to provide our own shade. Our daughter hung out under our umbrellas the whole time.

f7056ca2-bd3e-4422-b50d-46d90cacf6c1_zpsmlze4mdt.jpg

Unless she was playing in the sand...

32260f12-b165-4c7a-bce6-e6bd83d6d1ec_zpscq4qkun7.jpg

I think the pictures pretty much speak for themselves for the rest… absolutely amazing.

0499a331-d012-4ba8-9da4-bdc11e62a769_zpsl11vi9a0.jpg

Next up: The dinner I didn’t take any pictures of, but I’ll try to explain it in the most mouthwatering way possible.

Loving your review! So happy to see a review by a cruiser with a toddler! We will be doing the same itinerary in September with our 3 year old.

You're going to love it even more because they can go into the kids club! We really do wish we had that option!

Giovanni’s for the best meal on the ship!

We had 6:30 reservations at Giovanni’s table. It was difficult to get reservations for the 8 of us, and this was the only night available for pre-book a few months out from the trip. So we took it. When we arrived, we were the 3rd table in the place, and one of the other tables was just clearing out, so it must have been an early dinner for them?

When we first sat down, the table was incorrectly set for 6 instead of 7 adults. Took a few rounds of “I still don’t have a fork… water… plate… napkin…” to get the right setup. A waitress introduced herself to us, told us about the best items on the menu and told us that she would pick our first course for us. Then, about 5 minutes later she came back and said she wasn’t our waitress and introduced someone else- a little rocky start but we were just happy to be there, so we rolled with the punches.

Our waitress did indeed order our appetizers for us. We started with a plate of antipasta and caprese salad. The antipasta had a few types of Italian meats, some grilled veggies (squash, tomatoes, peppers, etc.) and select olives. The veggies were lightly dressed and crisp and tender at the same time- perfectly prepared. I liked the prosciutto, and enjoyed it over some of the veggies. We all had decent helpings when the caprese salad came out. It was balls of mozzarella, and I was expecting the larger more moist rounds. They were perfectly marinated and it was a good tasting dish. So far, I enjoyed what they made for us. Then they came out with these scallops in fake shells that were lightly breaded on the top and perfectly baked so that the breading was a crispy golden brown. We each got two of these and thankfully, they miscounted and there were a few extras for the table, so I enjoyed another round. They came out with more trays and I was convinced that we were onto the pasta course. I was wrong, more appetizers. It was a crepe stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach, then baked with melted cheese and cream sauce on top. It was so delicious. I think we were all dunking our bread in the leftover sauce afterwards.

The pasta course was next and we were all ready to loosen our belt buckles a little bit. We ordered four different things off the pasta menu. I’m starting with our least favorite, and that was the gnocchi bolognaise. It wasn’t bad, but compared to everything else, it wasn’t as flavorful. The gnocchi themselves were perfectly cooked, and tender. We also had the penne with the brandy sauce. It had enough shrimp for everyone and some extra for good measure. There was some salmon in it as well, just not as much, so I didn’t get any and can’t comment on it. But everything else was delicious! Then came the eggplant parm, we wanted more and more and more. The eggplant was thinly sliced, tender, and cheesy. I think I finished my helping and then some of this dish. We’re not done yet, and I’m full just thinking about it. Our last pasta dish was the crab ravioli. It was lump crab and shrimp meat so when I bit into it, I knew what I was eating. The flavors were nice and mellow and when combined with the sauce, they were well married. Mmmmmmmm take me back!

Well, you would think this is the end, but it’s not. We also all got entrées. I think most of us got the beef tenderloin. Not a complaint at our table for how they were prepared. It was fork tender, and I had mine served with the gorgonzola butter sauce. It comes on the side and you can add as much or as little as you’d like. It was a subtle flavor but the butter added to the meat’s tenderness. My husband got the lamb and I think I would get the lamb the next time I go. It was delicious, prepared just as expected and I only got one bite, he wasn’t going to share something so delicious.

At this point, you may be feeling like it should be over, that there is nothing left to enjoy. Think again, my friend. Dessert was up next. At this point, the restaurant had pretty much filled in, and all others looked as they wheeled the dessert cart over to us. The offerings: tiramisu, chocolate cannoli, standard cannoli, flourless chocolate cake, alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions of cherries jubilee. What did we order? ALL OF THEM! So here is my review since I tasted most:

1) The best on the menu is the tiramisu. It’s 10x better than what is served in the MDR. The texture and flavor of the cream was spot on. I will knock it a few points because the lady fingers were soggy. 9.0/10. It would have gotten a 9.5 if it was served in a chocolate bowl like Portofino’s.

2) The non-alcoholic cherries jubilee was great. A nice, light, flavorful dessert if you are too full for another.

3) Both flavors of cannoli were excellent. I think I preferred the standard to the chocolate- but keep in mind, no chocolate chips in this one. NYers may be disappointed.

4) Last up (and I wish I had forgotten to order it) the chocolate cake. It was dry, hard, solid and felt like it would be a brick sitting in my stomach. Not my thing- I’m sure others enjoyed it. So I just took my bite and we all left it on the table.

Instead of beam me up scotty, it should be “Wheel me down to my room, scotty”

We did take one family photo :)

775096a0-85d4-4cc2-b0e8-945c683d46d1_zpsypsy1brt.jpg

Next up: Babies and Tots Review

I am really enjoying your review.

I do have a question about Giovanni's. For a group of people I understand having so many courses and options. A tasting so to speak. However, we are considering booking Giovanni's for our next cruise and it is just the 2 of us.Can just order an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. And just 1 per person.

I do have a question about Giovanni's. For a group of people I understand having so many courses and options. A tasting so to speak. However, we are considering booking Giovanni's for our next cruise and it is just the 2 of us.Can just order an appetizer, an entree and a dessert. And just 1 per person.

I'm really not sure on this. I would think that they could accommodate, but I'm really not sure. Some of the items would be difficult to make single portions, but others I would think would be very easy. The first two courses are the ones served "family style" but the entrees are individual. Reservations for 2 were open for most of the week, so I would think you can go and ask night one if they would be able to accommodate and go from there. It was just difficult to get reservations for larger groups.

Sure, you can order whatever you want. Not everything is served family style, they serve individual portions of all the dishes. We have ordered one appetizer each and one to split. We have also done the same thing with the pasta, no matter what I get I have to have the lasagna too.

I'm really not sure on this. I would think that they could accommodate, but I'm really not sure. Some of the items would be difficult to make single portions, but others I would think would be very easy. The first two courses are the ones served "family style" but the entrees are individual. Reservations for 2 were open for most of the week, so I would think you can go and ask night one if they would be able to accommodate and go from there. It was just difficult to get reservations for larger groups.

Sure, you can order whatever you want. Not everything is served family style, they serve individual portions of all the dishes. We have ordered one appetizer each and one to split. We have also done the same thing with the pasta, no matter what I get I have to have the lasagna too.

Tahnk you for the responses. I think we will probably book Giovanni's.

Enjoying your review! Was wondering if you have any copies of the cruise compass to post?

Yes, I have all of them and some other odds and ends papers that were left in the staterooms. Will try to post them today- but still trying to finish our 8th load of vacation laundry!:eek:

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy. No, nope, not even close. It was humid, early, and I hadn’t had caffeine yet. It was 6:30 and my daughter was up, so I figured we’d go grab some breakfast at the Windjammer, then head up to the babies and tots room (Cloud 9 Lounge on deck 14) and enjoy playing with the toys.

Breakfast went as I expected in the Windjammer. Thankfully my daughter shares well, because I couldn’t wait in line for both of us while holding her hand as she tried to run away.

Up we marched to the 14th floor and in we look, nada. The room was empty. Where were all the toys we had seen the day before? I checked the sign, they only provide the toys from 9am-10pm. This was really disappointing for us, because our toddler is ALWAYS up before 8, and we missed out on some quality play time before heading off the ship for the day. They really should open earlier. I did leave a comment on this, and included it in my survey. I was disappointed that all we found was one ball left from the previous day and everything else was locked up. It’s not like there was staff there during the day watching it, so I’m not sure what difference it would have made to set it up earlier or leave it set up.

All that being said, they had a good variety of toys, mostly for ages <2. (They’re really not catering anything to the 2-3 year olds.) They had walkers, drums, ball poppers, mats on the floor, kids music playing, and tons of books in both English and Spanish. On our last day, they did have a staff member there who handed out CDs from RCI & Fisher Price. It was VERY corny (listened to it on the way to work on Thursday) but it has some good songs and had us laughing a little.

dc8e7679-a159-498e-b4fe-b092b98244f1_zpsdhtqtvys.jpg

I just wish they did a better job of catering to 2 year olds.

Next up… St. Lucia, the day we wished we never had