Crown and Anchor now has Open Enrollment

They have no problem sending me multiple emails per day. And yes, I know for sure RC has an IT department. I can tell you that I bet the IT departments main focus is keeping the ships online. There is huge technology liability in play with digital business. Website is secondary. They want you to call in to book to sell you more product. Amazing how people don't get it. If you want to think of another business like crusing think about the PGA tour.. They are a business that is heavily reliant on technology and move the circus from town to town week/week. Cruise companies are similar expect at a greater scale and their IT is ever moving, not packed up in trucks week over week. Yes they have centralized structure but "their" cogs are the actual ships and technology is 85% of that. RC has to protect their investors and is a well recognized brand with multiple vehicles to sell its product. If they could just have a marketing website without booking I bet they would do it, application maintenance is very expensive.

Yes, similar to airlines, their computer systems, and their websites, which seem to be superior to (at least) this cruiseline's. Sorry, but I'm not very forgiving of the glitches with RCI's website over the years, nor am I forgiving of any company who rushes their product to market before testing it thoroughly.

Yes, similar to airlines, their computer systems, and their websites, which seem to be superior to (at least) this cruiseline's. Sorry, but I'm not very forgiving of the glitches with RCI's website over the years, nor am I forgiving of any company who rushes their product to market before testing it thoroughly.

Ditto. People can move around easily on line and find one that works for them, so if you want their business it should be working very well.:)

We shouldn't have to almost beg for RCL emails of their promotions and Any updates to the Cruise Line and all the stuff we don't get. We sure get enough from places we don't want info on, they seem to get it right???

Edited by CVU

A lot of issues can cause emails not to be received by the recipient besides not sending them.

I have a site where yahoo mail blackholes the newsletter we send out, and they refuse to do anything to correct it. Doesn't even show up in the spam folder.

Cruise ships have much more complex technology than commercial airlines. I think you are missing the point here. RC's tolerance for down instances on their ships is almost zero, they can't afford it. Their website is probably not even in their top 5 priorities for the fiscal year or 3-5 year plan, that is not where innovation happens in the cruise industry. Do you know how many people actually book a cruise through RC's website? I can almost assure you it is less than 15%. So tell me, if you were RC and know your website only generates less than 15% of your bookings where would your prioritize, spend your investors cash? If you say your website, well think again. It's a marketing tool, top of the funnel. From a booking perspective, what you see on RCs portal is the top layer of the larger travel agent portal. If it was truly that important to RC and had a high impact to revenue believe me, they would fix it.

HAL does this.

I was able to sign my MIL up for an account before her first cruise. By doing that, I got better pricing for her cruise than if I wasn't logged in to "her" account. After her cruise she got a Mariner number (before it was just an account, or something like that) and I'm sure she'd get better rates than before...but she didn't enjoy her cruise and isn't willing to go to sea again, so I haven't messed around with pricing.

If Royal has pricing differences for C&A people who haven't yet cruised, it's nice to do.

Kids won't get coupons until their second cruise.

Royal allows one "significant other" living at the same address to be linked with you. They won't get your points, but they will get your C&A level.

Actually, our GS got the coupons the first time he sailed with us.

What benefits does someone who "refers" a new member recieve?

Nothing to refer a new C&A member.

However, if you cruise with a new cruiser, you can get $25 OBC. See the Bring-a-Friend offer on Royal's website.

Cruise ships have much more complex technology than commercial airlines. I think you are missing the point here. RC's tolerance for down instances on their ships is almost zero, they can't afford it. Their website is probably not even in their top 5 priorities for the fiscal year or 3-5 year plan, that is not where innovation happens in the cruise industry. Do you know how many people actually book a cruise through RC's website? I can almost assure you it is less than 15%. So tell me, if you were RC and know your website only generates less than 15% of your bookings where would your prioritize, spend your investors cash? If you say your website, well think again. It's a marketing tool, top of the funnel. From a booking perspective, what you see on RCs portal is the top layer of the larger travel agent portal. If it was truly that important to RC and had a high impact to revenue believe me, they would fix it.

I'm not missing the point at all. However, I do not wish to debate the finer points of why websites do not function properly. As a consumer, my concern is whether or not I can access the product that is offered. If I cannot, the website, and the company, has lost a customer.

I'm not missing the point at all. However, I do not wish to debate the finer points of why websites do not function properly. As a consumer, my concern is whether or not I can access the product that is offered. If I cannot, the website, and the company, has lost a customer.

That's your decision. There are multiple ways to book a cruise. Clearly Royal has not lost you even though they have a crappy website.

Don't disagree with your overall premise that the website is not a top priority, but your assumption that only 15% book through the website is highly questionable considering the rapidly declining state of the TA industry, and the availability to use the site to search for cruises and then call RCL directly. I'd err on the other end of that pendulum and surmise that 70-80% of people who ultimately book a cruise (any cruise line) start their selection process on the cruise line's website. BTW, even on the remote chance your numbers are even close to accurate, as a marketing tool, it truly sucks.

Don't get your hopes up to high. There are rules to getting that $25.00.If your parents are in the same cabin you can only get the $25.00 one time. If you have 3 room booked then some one from another room can claim the other person. Good Luck

Thanks! My parents are sailing with us on the Allure and they've never sailed with RCI before. I'm definately looking into that.

It's for marketing. Various countries do not let you campaign/email to them unless you explicitly "opt in". Some that come to mind are Canada and a few in EMEA who hold strict anti spam laws. Fines in the millions per incident. No better way to build your database then a smoke and mirrors promotion or enabling some sort of perceived value on the consumer end...LOOK! Come join our EXCLUSIVE club! All I want is your email and consent..and you will actually get nothing.

I wish that were true. I still get inundated with junk e mails that I have not opted in to. Also the fines in the millions is a load of crap. There was just a few high profile fines levied agains a few duct cleaning telemarketing companies. The biggest fine was well under $100,000 with several fines to other companies under $5000. Hardly a deterrent, just a cost of doing business.

Don't disagree with your overall premise that the website is not a top priority, but your assumption that only 15% book through the website is highly questionable considering the rapidly declining state of the TA industry, and the availability to use the site to search for cruises and then call RCL directly. I'd err on the other end of that pendulum and surmise that 70-80% of people who ultimately book a cruise (any cruise line) start their selection process on the cruise line's website. BTW, even on the remote chance your numbers are even close to accurate, as a marketing tool, it truly sucks.

Right I do agree with you where the search starts but where it ends is with a phone call for final booking (therefor the website did its job) The 15% I quoted is accurate. Do a little research of the industry and you will see. And as a marketing tool it actually doesn't suck. It does its job of collecting names and email addresses (which is all most organizations want). You know how other TA providers who tell you they want your zip to identify discounts for you which is a load of crap. This is marketing 101 in a digital world. You can think I'm full of bull if you want but most Fortune 500 & 1000 would disagree.

Edited by CaribSailor

I have, and it's not. :)

And what I meant by TA is the 3rd party websites who live and die by their ability to complete a booking as well as their online presence. Not your mom and pop TA in town.

Edited by CaribSailor

So does this mean that our 19 month old grandson who will be sailing on his first cruise with his parents who are D+...he'll be considered D+ on his first cruise :confused:

And what I meant by TA is the 3rd party websites who live and die by their ability to complete a booking as well as their online presence. Not your mom and pop TA in town.

Unfortunately, changing the variables in order to make your numbers fit your hypothesis doesn't change the reality of how bookings are made.

So does this mean that our 19 month old grandson who will be sailing on his first cruise with his parents who are D+...he'll be considered D+ on his first cruise :confused:

He will be listed as D+ as soon as the cruise ends...but he doesn't get the three free drinks :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have to admit, that is new information to me. RCI got DH's cruise history all wrong, and he ended up with fewer points (at the time it was cruise credits) than I. However, his cruise history now shows the same number of points that I have. :confused:

(We have always cruised together, with no additional cruises taken solo.)

Ours is a different situation - my daughter (at the time a minor) did a major repositioning voyage with my mother. She earned the equivalent of 45 points. My husband and I were given her status - platinum and our summary shows us as having 45 points while in reality we only had earned 15 points. We have taken several cruises since and our points balance still shows 45 points. It will remain there until we actually earn 45 points.