considering purchasing travelscoot

cruisin0218

I have been researching the Travelscoot and have read much of the info posted about how well it works for cruising and travel in general. I would also just love to go to the mall and shop without back pain. I live near Winston Salem, NC and I wonder if there is anyone in this area or from Hickory to Burlington, NC who might be willing for me to see the Travelscoot before I talk to Tony on Monday about ordering one. I spoke with him on Wednesday and he said that he is on vacation this week and would be available to take an order by phone on Monday. I love to cruise and to travel but for the past year I have been experiencing low back pain when I stand for a long time or when I walk long distances due to arthritic changes in the lower 3 levels of my back. I am a nurse and have already discussed the Travelscoot with my Doctor who is in agreement that it sounds like it would be helpful to me. would just feel better ordering one if I could see one in person. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

I am in Hickory and have had a travelscoot for the last six or so years. You can reach me at k a t i s d a l e @ e m b a r q m a i l . c o m - with no spaces. I will then give you my address/phone. My husband has made some alterations to mine and it is one of the older models that does not have reverse gear. I had polio as a child and would be staying home all the time if not for my scoot. It is my lifeline. I am also a retired nurse and worked at Baptist Hospital before my legs stopped working. I enjoyed Winston-Salem.

Edited by katisdale

I have had mine for about a year. They are great for shore excursions, long "walks" and shopping.

I have used mine in Australia, New Zealand and France.

It sometimes does not handle gravel well.

I suggest a spare battery. I can fold it up and carry it in the back of my smart car!

Best Wishes

Thanks smart4-2. I really like what I have read so far. I took the info with me to my orthopedist's office and he was very impressed with what he read as well. It sounds like something I can use for walking those longer distances and to avoid standing in one place for a long time. I really didn't want to have to assemble and disassemble something completely each time and I like the idea of it being so lightweight. I may be able to shop at the mall comfortably again. Also traveling without worrying about flaring up my back would be great!

I, like others have problems distance walking & have ordered a scooter for travel. It is travel friendly & when folded is the size of a large travel bag (45 lbs) that is easy to wheel. My questions are: 1. Do I have to notify the cruise company (Azamara) that I will be traveling with it? 2. How to I (they) get the scooter on & off the ship when we dock? On the ports that we tender can I board the tended & take my scooter with me? Thanks for your help--I have done 11 cruises & this will be my first with a scooter.

Thanks Fred (Sea-FAB)

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies and thanks especially to katisdale for welcoming my husband and myself so that we could get first hand advice and see the travelscoot firsthand. The modifications made by your husband are really neat and it is great to be able to apply these things to our needs. I just finished ordering the deluxe model for myself and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I told Bonnie that you had shown us your scoot and she assured me that she would credit you with this. By the way Bonnie said she thinks the battery you have is the 11.25 ah one that costs $755 and is 283.5 wh. The smaller one is 6.3 ah and 160 wh and she said it is newer than yours and would only go about 4 miles on average on level ground vs 8 to 10 miles on the other one. It was a good thought however briefly that the replacement cost may have gone down. She said they also have another larger one that is not listed and will go longer but that one does not meet airline regulations. So I bit the bullet and ordered 2 of the 11.25 ah. According to Bonnie the only country that would be a problem with that one is China because their airlines only allow li ion batteries of 160 wh or less. I guess if I go to China I'll have to add in the cost for 2-3 of the 6.3 ah batteries. Please let me know if you think that I have misunderstood this info on the batteries. I hope you have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip - it sounds fabulous!

Hubby just checked our batteries and written on the side is 11.25 ah so yes, I guess we will have to bite the bullet when we need replacements as well. Mine are six years old this summer so buying new batteries probably isn't too far in my future. It was nice to meet you.

Thanks katisdale for checking the battery size for me. And thank your husband as well. Please keep us posted on your upcoming cruise. I would love to cruise for that long--well retirement for me isn't that far off--maybe then.