Anyone just off Radiance??

:DSo happy to finally read a report from a 2015 SOUTHBOUND! We'll be Southbound on August 14. I'd be very appreciative if you have copies of the Compass. I've scrutinized the Northbound ones but not sure if it's safe to simply assume everything is exactly the same only in reverse order (if you know what I mean). Thanks in advance.

I have the north and southbound compasses from our B2B in May. Is there anything in particular you want to compare between the two?

I have the north and southbound compasses from our B2B in May. Is there anything in particular you want to compare between the two?

Would you kindly consider posting them? I'd just really appreciate being able to scrutinize them a bit for planning purposes. We're kind of "winging it" on this trip and don't have any firm ideas about what, if anything we're going to do ashore. We'll work around anything on board we really don't want to miss. (I realize we are total weirdos, but we're kind of considering this trip a CTN. It was booked spur-of-the-moment as a fairly ill-considered knee-jerk reaction when we had to cancel a big trip to Europe with a Med cruise we had planned for September. But I digress...)

Edited by ronandannette

Would you kindly consider posting them? I'd just really appreciate being able to scrutinize them a bit for planning purposes. We're kind of "winging it" on this trip and don't have any firm ideas about what, if anything we're going to do ashore. We'll work around anything on board we really don't want to miss. (I realize we are total weirdos, but we're kind of considering this trip a CTN. It was booked spur-of-the-moment as a fairly ill-considered knee-jerk reaction when we had to cancel a big trip to Europe with a Med cruise we had planned for September. But I digress...)

Sorry - don't have access to a scanner or much free time to do that! I did a quick comparison of north vs south on the 'same' days though (eg looked at Ketchkian port day as an example). Many of the activities were the same (down to the same times) but with a different type of trivia in the schooner bar for instance (eg disco hits trivia NB and country music trivia SB!). Some events though were on different days eg love and marriage game show.

I really wouldn't sweat it too much - with 4 days in port and only 2 days at sea (with both being scenic cruising) you might find what is in the Compass pales in comparison to what Alaska itself has to offer!

Sorry - don't have access to a scanner or much free time to do that! I did a quick comparison of north vs south on the 'same' days though (eg looked at Ketchkian port day as an example). Many of the activities were the same (down to the same times) but with a different type of trivia in the schooner bar for instance (eg disco hits trivia NB and country music trivia SB!). Some events though were on different days eg love and marriage game show.

I really wouldn't sweat it too much - with 4 days in port and only 2 days at sea (with both being scenic cruising) you might find what is in the Compass pales in comparison to what Alaska itself has to offer!

Thanks anyway! I'm glad you had a great trip.

Departing in Vancouver you do US Customs and Security, so it takes time. Be there early, 2 hr as someone mentioned is wise.

Just talked to people yesterday off their cruise and it was cool and damp but no rain in Ketchikan. If you are by the Glaciers it is COLD. We stood outside for ages and it was sooooo cold.

Thanks for the customs time tip....starting our packing tomorrow and making sure we have our sweatshirts, gloves and hats - being from south Florida, we are probably kind of wimpy!! LOL. :rolleyes:

Anyone remember what day of the (northbound) cruise they did the laundry special on? (Know no jeans and there's a list of items) Just trying to plan ahead.....:rolleyes:

THANKS!! :D

Speak to your stateroom attendant about the wash & fold bag. We've been able to get the bag any day, on request.

I was on Southbound 6/19 and will try to post compasses tonight.

Reading a few previous comments and I'm always amazed how many different opinions you can get on the same cruise. I enjoyed Giovanni's and Samba Grill but didn't have a good meal in Chops. Only went to the MDR twice, because we had such a bad meal and service on the first formal night.

Recommend whale watching at ICP.

Enjoyed the rail from Achorage to Seward but I don't think you do that segment on the cruisetour.

Well-----just had friends get off her Friday and said that unfortunately there was a sewer smell throughout the ship....said it was fine in their cabin with the door shut, but to bring a room freshener!! LOL Hoping for the best when we board her!!! :p

I was on Southbound 6/19 and will try to post compasses tonight.

Reading a few previous comments and I'm always amazed how many different opinions you can get on the same cruise. I enjoyed Giovanni's and Samba Grill but didn't have a good meal in Chops. Only went to the MDR twice, because we had such a bad meal and service on the first formal night.

Recommend whale watching at ICP.

Enjoyed the rail from Achorage to Seward but I don't think you do that segment on the cruisetour.

I would LOVE it if you could - thanks in advance! We actually chose the ROS over the Star Princess because I find the food (comparing my most recent cruises) both MDR and speciality - to be better on RCCL than Princess. Any chance you happen to remember the order of the MDR menus? We'll be doing at least a couple of specialities. Last fall on the Liberty I was pretty disappointed in Chops as well, especially at the price it is now (cover charge + individual upcharges for "premium items"). It's nowhere near worth it. Looking forward to Samba though.

Edited by ronandannette

Well-----just had friends get off her Friday and said that unfortunately there was a sewer smell throughout the ship....said it was fine in their cabin with the door shut, but to bring a room freshener!! LOL Hoping for the best when we board her!!! :p

We just got off the Radiance on the 26th and there was no sewer smell. Except there was a flu (respiratory) thing going around, people seemed to be hacking all over the place, they had stepped up their sanitizing a step and were supposed to deep clean when our cruise was over.

Just clarifying something - is the Windjammer open for dinner? And does it remain a buffet or is it sit-down?

I'm asking because our group has dinner on our night in Juneau free from our normal group dining because we're in port so late and there are some late excursions. We're allowed to go to our assigned tables if we choose, but I'm just looking at options.

Just clarifying something - is the Windjammer open for dinner? And does it remain a buffet or is it sit-down?

I'm asking because our group has dinner on our night in Juneau free from our normal group dining because we're in port so late and there are some late excursions. We're allowed to go to our assigned tables if we choose, but I'm just looking at options.

Windjammer is open for dinner every night, and it is a buffet. You might find some cook to order items, like pasta or Mongolian BBQ.

From what I've learned, when the ship is at sea, your phone connects to the ships cell phone service, therefore your carrier will charge you additional fees per call and per text. Your regular domestic plan will be available to use when the ship is in port (the ship turns off their cell service, which allows people to access their own domestic service while in port). To avoid the additional fees while at sea, as we anticipate would really add up, we will bring walkie-talkie's to communicate with our son, for free.

You can also rent a "dect" phone.

From the RCI website:

"Dect phones (portable phones) are available to rent for $25.00 a week on Radiance and Voyager class vessels. Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change)."

I'd assume the $25 is a flat rate for unlimited calling while on board, to another person who is also on-board, but would need to verify this.

...You can also rent a "dect" phone.

From the RCI website:

"Dect phones (portable phones) are available to rent for $25.00 a week on Radiance and Voyager class vessels. Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change)."

I'd assume the $25 is a flat rate for unlimited calling while on board, to another person who is also on-board, but would need to verify this.

The $25 is a flat rate for the DECT phone, should they still be available. They will call any stateroom phone or other DECT phone.

Edited by clarea