Circle C club review

moongal

Just off the Carnival Magic today and am writing a review of the Circle C club. When we were planning our trip I was looking all over for Circle C information and could find very little so for anyone out there wanting to know more about Circle C club for kids age 12-14 on Carnival here are my experiences. (long review ahead!)

I was traveling with my 13 year old daughter and my mother, I am in my fifties and my mother is in her 70's so we were really excited about the Circle C club because we hoped that my daughter would be able to have some "young people" fun on the trip. My daughter was excited because she wanted to meet some other kids and have some fun.

We pre-registered our daughter for Circle C online prior to our trip, which I highly recommend if you are planning to have kids age 12-14 participate. There is a youth programs orientation the very first night on board and you can register them at that time, but for us we did not make the orientation because we were spending all of our time walking around being lost on the ship and trying to find dinner etc... the evening sped by and somehow despite our best efforts to get there we missed the orientation.

There was a "meet and greet" scheduled for 8 or 8:30 scheduled for the first night which we did manage to make (after rushing through our dinner and skipping dessert to get there in time...) even though we got to "Our time" dining early, on that first night service was very slow, so we had to skip dessert in order to get out in time to get over to Circle C for meet and greet.

Once over to the Circle C Meet and Greet in the Circle C area, we sent my daughter in and waited in some chairs outside the area. I saw a bunch of other parents going in with their child, but that was so that they could register their kid. Your child will be given a sticker for their sign and sail card that says "Circle C" on it at this time, although we never could figure out what purpose the sticker served.

After about an hour of sitting around outside the Circle C club (watching what was going on in the inside..) they sent all the parents out and all the parents then left for destinations unknown on the ship. I wasn't going to leave as I didn't know how or when to come back and pick my daughter up. (other note... AT & T cell phones DO NOT work aboard the Magic for text messaging) I figured I would just sit outside the club and when the activities were over she would come out and we would go on our merry way. Every so often I would peek in through the glass on the doors and she seemed to be having a grand time chatting it up with some other girls.

She finally came out about 45 mins later with a printed Circle C schedule and asked if she could stay because there was going to be a dance in a few minutes and she wanted to stay with her new friends. I said she could stay and as the printed schedule said it was only going to last 30 mins we said we (my mother and I) would just continue to wait outside the Circle C club until she was done. My mother and I had not made any plans for this evening other than getting my daughter settled into Circle C so we were fine with just relaxing and chatting on the comfy chairs outside Circle C. Little did we know what was in store for us the rest of the evening!!

So we settled into our comfy couch seat ready to just sit and chill till daughter came out of Circle C....but about 5 minutes after the dance started we started seeing different packs of kids running out of the club. We were wondering what was going on.... and then all of a sudden we saw my daughter with a giant pack of girls leaving Circle C running out of the club and she hollered over her back as she ran by with the pack.."Going to get ice cream!"

As we were feeling a bit lost that first night on the ship and still had no idea where the ice cream place was, we set out to follow my daughter because I had not given her permission to be running all over the ship, and she was with such a large group of girls that I was afraid if she got separated from the group they didn't all know each other well enough that the others would even notice if she was gone or not... so my mother and I frantically started chasing after the group of girls.. but needless to say we couldn't keep up and I saw my daughter disappear into an elevator.. I was panicked that I would never find my daughter again as we had made no advance plans of what to do if lost, or separated because we did not anticipate that they would not stay in Circle C.

We finally found the ice cream location, but there were no pack of girls that included my daughter there... we then started to head back to the Circle C area in the hopes she might have gone back there. I don't remember much except being practically in tears that I couldn't find my daughter and wondering where she was and imagining all kinds of terrible things but finally the gaggle of girls she was with showed back up to Circle C. She seemed to be enjoying herself immensely and begged to be allowed to stay a bit longer. Despite my wanting nothing but to go back to the room and collapse (long travel day) I said ok... thinking to myself "ok now they will stay in the Circle C club and we can relax"....WRONG!

Next few minutes we see the gaggle of girls running out the door again and my daughter holllered "going to Arcade!" Oh no... where is the Arcade??? How long are you staying there?? There was no time to get all the details worked out as these teens traveled fast!! So we took off as fast as our tired old bones could move chasing this pack of girls to some arcade because yet again, I was afraid that my daughter might be separated from her new best friends and find herself alone and lost in this big ship. Remember this was the first night when just navigating to the toilet in your stateroom feels like an adventure! (exaggerating there a bit...but still seemed very lost that first night)

We finally found the arcade and saw the gaggle of teen girls talking to some random pack of teen boys. There was no where to sit in the Arcade... no old folks parking tired butts section...so we stood....watching around the corner so daughter wouldn't see us "spying". After a while I took another look around the corner and saw most of the gaggle of girls had gone...and I saw my daughter and 1 or 2 other girls standing talking... I wondered where all the girls had gone, when I saw a door open up and some boys come out and entice some more of the original gaggle into what was the Club O2. So the Circle C girls were being snuck into the Club O2 (Club 02 is for the older teens) by some older teen boys....NOT COOL !! (at least not for this Mama!)

So I retrieved my daughter who did not go in the Club o2 because she knew we were watching from around the corner.... and we finally headed back to the room.

She was quite upset with us for ruining her fun and said she was perfectly fine and there was no reason for us to worry and that none of the bosom buddies would ever leave her alone or she would never get separated (typical teen thinking) and that we worried for nothing.

So as I was too exhausted to figure out the future we just went to bed and figured we would get it all sorted out the next day.

Next day daughter wanted immediately to head back to Circle C to be with her friends... we talked about what to do about getting separated and made all kinds of plans.. they give you a daily activity schedule just like your daily Fun Times but it is for Circle C activities so there was alot on the Circle C schedule that she wanted to do, so we headed back over there again, and she went in to participate in whatever that scheduled activity was (I can't remember now) and within seconds she was out the door running with a different pack of girls heading off to the food area.. again, I followed along behind , because a part of me just wasn't comfortable with my daughter just running the ship with kids she barely knew completely unsupervised. I guess I must have been the only parent who felt this way because the other kids seemed to have no restrictions and could just run and go where ever they pleased without having to check in with their parents.

My daughter did say the night before that some of the other girls were scared when they started sneaking into the Club O2 because they said that if their parents found out they would probably get into trouble. After my daughter was done at the food section with that pack of girls I retrieved her again and we left. She told me the other girls were going to go back to Club O2 where they had made boyfriends the night before (after we left) and that they had all decided to "date" and was telling me about all the drama... some girls didn't like their new "boyfriends" etc. and were going to go back to Club 02 to "break up" and the boys were buying them all arcade games to get them to stay etc... (a bunch of typical teen stuff)

We came to the conclusion that Circle C was pretty much an unsupervised sham. They never stuck to any posted schedule... the activities shown on the daily schedule delivered to the room never seemed to happen and Circle C was basically just a place to meet the other kids, and a meeting spot, but then once enough kids showed up, they basically just ran unsupervised wherever they wanted and did whatever they wanted.

We decided this was not something we wanted to be worrying about (what my daughter was up to) for the entire trip so we did not participate in anything Circle C after the 2nd day and we were all a lot happier when we decided not to deal with it any longer. My daughter is a good kid and tells me everything, and I was the only parent who was actually keeping an eye on what was actually going on there. I did not see any parents at all after the meet and greet time.

So if you are ok with your teen (12-14 year old) running the ship completely unsupervised and mixing with other teens from Club 02 (15-17years) then go for it....your kid will have a great time running with the other kids. Just be sure that they go the first night.. that is when they get their packs together.

If you are like me and not quite ready to let your kid run around the ship unsupervised then I don't recommend it. Perhaps if the cell phones had worked and I could have kept in touch with Text msgs I might have reconsidered, and we did purchase a walkie talkie but it made so much noise (disturbing to the other passengers) and barely worked at all that we abandoned it. So for us Circle C was not anything for us.

After we gave up on Circle C we all just hung around together and ended up having a great time and my daughter was even surprised that she could laugh so much at "old lady" jokes and it ended up being a very nice bonding time with the 3 generations and I am glad that I had her spend the time with us instead of running around the ship.

Sooo for anyone out there that is wondering about Circle C, that is what I experienced... hopefully it will answer your questions.

Glad you had a great cruise in spite of Circle C not being what you had expected. I would probably have been concerned with a girl under 14 having that kind of freedom to run the ship also, but sounds like she was a good sport about having her freedom curtailed! We cruised when my son was 15 and we rarely saw him except for dinner and shore excursions, he hooked up with a group of kids and we would spot them swimming in the pool, shooting hoops, etc... he was good about checking in and letting us know what he was up to though. They were rarely at the teen club, except for dances. They were all great kids though and didn't get into trouble. Same when he was 16. They all had a great time. I think the 12-14 age group on cruises is probably the trickiest, though. On the brink of teen years but not really old enough to have the kind of freedom they would like. In retrospect we were probably lucky that finances dictated we skip cruising during that stage, but he had a blast with the kid's club when he was 11... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem when my daughters were around 13. I purchased the most powerful FRS radios I could find (36 mile) and made the rule that any change in location had to be permitted by me first. Then I occasionally spot checked to make sure that they were where they said they would be.

It seemed to me to be the right balance of allowed responsibility and they never disappointed me. The 36 mile radios work well almost anywhere on the ship. Without a solid source of communication, I do not think I could have left them to roam.

I thank you for this detailed summary. We have a 12 year old and he actually wants to stay in camp for our upcoming cruise, because he's liked it so much in the past. He's quite a bit introverted and thinks he will have trouble making friends.

That said, we are going to encourage him to give it a try and see how it goes. And in advance, like we did last year when for the first time we allowed him to sign himself in and out, there will be a set of rules in place of where he is and isn't allowed to go. And we'll pick a meeting spot and sign up for the internet plan right away so that we can keep in touch via text. I agree with the above poster - this tween/pre-teen age is tricky. Gotta strike the right balance with that whole freedom thing. I hope he makes out alright. If not, he can definitely just hang with us.

You didn't say which ship you are going and I don't know if it matters, but our cell phones did not work to send texts aboard the ship. I purchased the internet plan also but i still could not send or receive texts using wifi, or any method. We have AT&T iPhones and I had even called AT&T beforehand and was assured it would work and we would be charged 50 cents each way (send & receive) which seemed a small price to pay to be able to keep in touch, but no texts would ever go through. Some other passengers told me that Verizon phones were the only ones that would work on the boat. (We were on Magic)

Hopefully you have Verizon!

You didn't say which ship you are going and I don't know if it matters, but our cell phones did not work to send texts aboard the ship. I purchased the internet plan also but i still could not send or receive texts using wifi, or any method. We have AT&T iPhones and I had even called AT&T beforehand and was assured it would work and we would be charged 50 cents each way (send & receive) which seemed a small price to pay to be able to keep in touch, but no texts would ever go through. Some other passengers told me that Verizon phones were the only ones that would work on the boat. (We were on Magic)

Hopefully you have Verizon!

Hoping I will have better luck. Yes we have Verizon. We are booked on the Sunshine for this year and the Magic next year.

Thanks for this. I have a 10, 14, and 16 year old sailing and we looked at an activity schedule a friend brought back from a recent sailing. My 14 year old will be the most difficult. I am comfortable with him roaming with new found friends to a point but we have been laying down the law for weeks. I will be watching the first night though to see how it goes. Thanks for your honest review.

Thank you for your review. While I was not so alarmed about the ice cream runs and general pack outings as I'm semi used to it for scavenger

I think it is concerning overall with the Club O2 situation. My 12 year old is going into 7th grade while 15 year olds are typically high school sophomores. There is definitely a maturity difference with Club O2 and especially in relationships. I would hate for those girls to be pressured into something to mature for them. I'm not talking about assault, even kissing/touching can be too much. I am not saying all 15-17 year old kids are bad. I just think what is considered "okay" will be different.

This information will help parents talk to their kids in hopes that they make good decisions. Club O2 is near the arcade on quite a few ships.

I've spoken about the kid's clubs many times on various different threads. We started traveling with our 9 yr-old DS every single Spring Break or summer up until last year when he was 19.

The Circle C and teen clubs are mostly considered places to make new friends and then meet up with them there the next day. For the most part, kids do not stay in them. Roam the ship...that's what they do. They're not doing anything nefarious...just hanging out. You'll see them all over the ship...playing ping pong, sunning on the Lido Deck by the pool, eating at all the food venues, and just basically being kids.

Also, be prepared to extend your pre-teen's and teen's curfew. On ships kids stay out later at night than they do on land due to the fact that the Clubs close late and then the kids go out for pizza, ice cream, etc. For this reason from age 14 on it was 1 A.M. About the time we get back to our cabin.

Your best bet is to set up rules for what your kid can and can't do and if they break any of the rules...be sure to enforce consequences depending on what rule they break. For example, our DH and his DF, that we took with us on several cruises, broke curfew one night (at age 14 & 15). The consequence was that the next night they had to be back in the cabin by 10p (which as anyone who has cruised with teens knows that's way early)...they never broke any other rules after that...LOL!

Also, only you know your kid's level of maturity and how they obey your rules. From age 9-11, we sent the DS out with a walkie talkie and it worked great. From 13-19, he was on his own and never got into any trouble...except for that one breach of curfew. I was nervous the first time we let the DS off on his own, which was when he was 9 (because he hated the kid's club), but he followed all our rules and there was no reason after that to not let him be on his own. We stopped using the walkie talkies when the DS was 11 and relied after that on certain times to meet on the ship at specific locations to check-in. At 14 until last year when he turned 19...he was totally on his own and came and went at his leisure no problems at all, again, save the time he broke curfew.

Now...if we had a daughter...then we might feel differently.

Edited by mousey

Maybe its different when you have a boy but almost 3 years ago on Destiny (right before it became Sunshine) my DH was 13 and had an amazing time in Circle C. Yes there was some unsupervised times (which I believe it stated in the sheets we got) and it did become a sort of meeting place for him to meet up with friends. My son is a pretty quiet kid and I was a little worried that he would not like it but it was just the opposite. He loved it. He would check in with us at specific times and places and we would check the schedule and check in with him several times. He kept a walkie with him so we could reach out if we wanted to see where he was. We saw him a lot on the outside decks with groups a friends playing basketball or just walking around. I trust him to make good choices and he has always been really honest with us and told us if something happened that made him uncomfortable. He ended up with some great friends that he still stays in touch with. He is really excited to be on Triumph next month now that he is almost 16 and will be in the older group.

Thank you for your review. I'm taking a cruise with my 14 and I agree, I would not feel comfortable letting him roam. Call me overprotective.. to each his own. Next cruise I'm letting him bring a friend from home, then it would be better maybe.

Original poster here. I don't know how to quote on here so this response is for singbluesilver who said I was paranoid and wanted to know if I trusted my daughter.

Well I may be a bit over protective but answer this hypothetical question....would you let your 13 year old daughter run around with packs of kids she barely knew well into the late night at a hotel or other land based resort? I wouldn't so I don't know what is so different about being aboard a ship. The potential is still there for a girl to run into the wrong kind of person.

As a mother I would have no problem letting my son run around the ship unsupervised, but I would be foolish to think it is the same for girls. It's not. I would love it if it were not that way but it is what it is.

When I am out with my 13 year old daughter whether we are walking at the mall, or the grocery store and yes, even on the ship I always see men ogling her. (She is a leggy, tall, thin blond with a nice figure). And no she doesn't go around half dressed. So while I trust my daughter completely, I am well aware of her extreme innocence and trusting nature. She is completely oblivious as to how she looks. I certainly do not trust every stranger on the ship though and do not feel that just because we are on a ship that somehow magically every segment of the population will suddenly become perfect and nice.

So for me I feel like it is my duty to protect my daughter till she becomes a bit more aware of what goes on in the world and becomes a little less naive and trusting.

Sorry for long post just got my dander up for being called paranoid. I guess I could come back at you and accuse you of being careless. I am not one to judge anyone else's decisions that they make in regard to their own children. My post was simply my own experiences. No need to call me paranoid. I even said if you are ok with it to be sure to get to the meet n greet the first night. Thanks for being so judgmental.

Well as a mother of a 12 yo son, I take issue with the idea the OP provided in her last example that it's ok to let boys run free either. They are just as susceptible to danger as girls and deserve as much concern. I have one of each and equally protective of both.

Two things: first, I don't think it was neither polite nor necessary to call the OP paranoid. Every parent does things differently and you were very detailed in your review. I didn't necessarily agree with your approach to it all, but having a son who will be in Circle C for the first time in few weeks, the insight was very helpful nonetheless.

Second, I don't plan to let him "roam free" around the ship, but I do anticipate that there will be times that he is not with us. With ground rules and expectations, I don't consider that allowing a child to roam free. As much as this is a family vacation, I know neither he or my daughter will want to be with us every minute. She will be constantly supervised either in camp or with her mother, father, or aunt. My son is no longer in a gated, fully supervised camp so I have to accept that him participating in the camp for his age group comes with less restrictions. I will allow him some freedom. It will be good for all of us. And just as in the past, we will still get time together as a family.

To the OPs example about a hotel - if we took an all inclusive where there was the same type of set up and was there for 8 days, I can't imagine or expect he would be by my side the entire time.

Every parent has to make their own set of ground rules and expectations. And ease into it. I'm much more prone to allowing him time away from us mid way through the vacation than I am on day one or two before any of us gets familiar with the layout and meeting spots. Have a plan and talk to your kids ahead of time. That Is the best you can do. Usually it works out but nothing is guaranteed with kids. Parents just do the best they can. I know I've been talking to my son bit by bit for months. I don't plan on no mess once we get onboard.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I've never expected the kids club to be a babysitting service for my boys (twins, 15). It's a place where they can meet other kids and attend activities. We set up meeting places and check in times well in advance of vacation.

I also take issue with the OP's "double standard" that boys can roam free and it's different for girls. My boys are tall, handsome, and there's two of them. They've never had to "buy girls arcade games to get them to stay". It's the opposite - they've had packs of tween girls follow them around the ship. It bothers me that tween girls decided to sneak into Club O2, and that somehow teen boys are to blame. That's a double standard, and it's not okay.

I've always thought that the kid's club did a great job of getting the kids together, encouraging them to meet each other, and providing a "home base" for activities.

• Thanks 1

I've never expected the kids club to be a babysitting service for my boys (twins, 15). It's a place where they can meet other kids and attend activities. We set up meeting places and check in times well in advance of vacation.

I also take issue with the OP's "double standard" that boys can roam free and it's different for girls. My boys are tall, handsome, and there's two of them. They've never had to "buy girls arcade games to get them to stay". It's the opposite - they've had packs of tween girls follow them around the ship. It bothers me that tween girls decided to sneak into Club O2, and that somehow teen boys are to blame. That's a double standard, and it's not okay.

I've always thought that the kid's club did a great job of getting the kids together, encouraging them to meet each other, and providing a "home base" for activities.

Exactly!

Original poster here. I don't know how to quote on here so this response is for singbluesilver who said I was paranoid and wanted to know if I trusted my daughter.

The matter is not just trust. I was laughing the whole time picturing two seniors chasing a group of teen aged girls. That is too much. Your DD already is aware what she looks like trust me. Your not preventing or protecting anything by being helicopter mom. Unless she is home schooled she has alot more free time with out you before during and after school. If she is running off with out you in front of you what do you think she is doing when your not around. But I am sure she is just being a teen having fun. Trying to restrict her from being a normal teen will only end up bad. IMO

• 2 years later...

I'm really glad to read these reviews. My son is very mature and outgoing and will be turning 13 on the second day of our Carnival Splendor cruise. He's the kind of kid that at 12 is closer friends with his friends'' 16-17-yo high school siblings than he is with the friends themselves.

We last cruised on Carnival two years ago, when he had just turned 11. He HATED the kids club, as it was ages 3-11, and described it as preschool HELL. He had sign-in/sign-out privileges and lasted less than an hour their the first day. He spent the rest of the cruise somewhat bored, entertaining himself mostly hanging out at the pool or doing the trivia and game-show activities (sometimes with us, sometimes on his own).

He's really looking forward to being in the 12-14 club, though he'd be even happier if he could hang out with the high school kids. The "club-as-a-meeting-place" to then go hang out with friends on the ship sounds perfect for him. The very things the OP cites as issues sound like features to me (no offense intended to OP). I would like nothing more than for him to find a group of friends to hang out with during the cruise. Sounds like he'll have a blast! (We have a very bright and responsible good kid. I completely understand that this level of freedom might not be appropriate for every teen.)

I’m grateful for your thoughts on this as my son is 12 and we will be trying circle C for the first time in March on Dream. I’m sorry that some people “took offense” and/or judged you for what you said. Unfortunately, that tends to be a frequent occurrence on cruise critic...it certainly has happened to me before. Thank you for your review and sharing your perspective.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience with Circle C. My own opinion of it is quite different...we love it. It sounds like this was your first cruise, and the first day was pretty overwhelming, so I can see how it was jarring to find out that Circle C has activities that are unsupervised, and that the kids come and go as they please. That information is widely available, however, so I'm surprised you didn't know that in advance. (On the Circle C schedule, they even mark many of the scheduled activities as "unsupervised") The kids usually meet up in Circle C, and then move about the ship in what you describe as "packs". The key is to outline for your child where they are allowed to go, and when they are to meet back up with you. If you need to follow your child around, you (or they) are clearly not ready to be in such an environment, and that's fine...different families have different rules. For my family, my children have pretty much grown up on Carnival ships. My three girls are age 14, 13, and 7...and all have been on cruises for the past 6 years or so. So we got used to the Camp environment gradually. Carnival structures its camps so that the kids gradually get more freedom as they get older. Age 2-8 are strictly signed in/out by a parent. For age 9 - 11, parents decide if the kids can sign themselves in and out by themselves or not. Age 12 and up are able to come and go on their own. By this age, you should be able to set expectations with your child, and have them follow them. I think your case, OP, the cruise environment was just so new, that you really didn't know enough about the ship and the activities to be able to comfortably set those expectations, so you did the right thing by keeping your daughter with you. I can tell you that, having grown up on ships, my daughters know a whole set of rules...like never go into anyone else's stateroom; never take a drink of ANY kind from another person; steer clear of adults who've clearly been drinking...and on and on. As for texting, while you had the internet plan, what you really needed was the HUB texting plan. It is a $5 charge per device, and it allows you to text using the Carnival Hub app and the ship's wifi, whether you have an internet plan on board or not. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. There are numerous threads on here about it, and there is information available all over the ship about it too.

As for the sticker...you asked what the purpose is. Well, if any Carnival employee had seen those girls sneaking into O2, they could have immediately looked at their cards and seen they didn't belong. As for sneaking in...it's not like there is a bar in there. Trust me, if anything inappropriate started happening in that room, you cannot even believe how fast Security would be there. There are cameras everywhere, especially in areas like the arcade, kids clubs, etc. I've seen kids misbehaving on the sports deck with equipment, and security comes very quickly.

Anyway...quite a long response, but I'll tell you what, my girls are frequently part of those "packs" of teens. But they are not simply running wild. They are exercising the freedom I have granted them, within the parameters we have established. Keep on cruising, and you'll figure out your own limits in time!

NO intent to bash anything anyone has said on the thread, just presenting a different opinion from a family of experienced cruising kids!

... As for texting, while you had the internet plan, what you really needed was the HUB texting plan. It is a $5 charge per device, and it allows you to text using the Carnival Hub app and the ship's wifi, whether you have an internet plan on board or not. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. There are numerous threads on here about it, and there is information available all over the ship about it too.

The HUB app didn't exist when this thread started 2 1/2 years ago! But it sure does make it easy to communicate onboard nowadays!