Have a question (theory) about why Carnival has a bad reputation

tripman

Greetings,

I have never been on Carnival. I know people who have been on Carnival and told me to stay away, and others who told me it is the best ever. It seems to get a bad reputation. I have been on three different cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Holland America), and I honestly don't see much difference between the three of them, so I doubt Carnival would be any worse.

However, I do have a theory. Is it possible that maybe the shorter (3 & 4 night) Carnival cruises are a bit lower in quality and even class? They seem to be the cheapest, and so I wonder if you truly get what you pay for when going on one of them. It would seem logical to me that the cheapest of cruises might tend to attract....dare I say....lower class passengers who might tend to be more rowdy, more likely to wear jeans and tank tops on formal night, more likely to puke in the hallways.

So is my theory true?: It is perfetly fine to go on Carnival, as long as you take at least a 7 night cruise?

Carnival used to be the "party" ships... but have worked hard trying to bet away from that rep... they ARE the fun ships but it's not an out of control party. Sure, the shorter cruises are going to attract more of a party atmosphere, but that's not always a bad thing ;)

Oh the things we could tell you about RCI and Princess would make Carnival look like a sunday school.:rolleyes:

Ah, so you remember all those people on the Grand Princess flashing the Carnival cruisers for hours on end in February??? :D Oh, what a sight that was :D

Blame Kathy Lee Gifford, I like to. Seriously they tried to market to younger people for years and got what they wanted. Unfortunatly it has really hurt them now. The average age of their cruisers has dropped but it's still in the 40's.

I've gone on 2 to 12 days cruises on Carnival. I have seen no difference in 17 years. If what you're describing ever regularly existed, it is before 1988.

But each cruise is different, and will take on the life of the people sailing that particular cruise.

Stop with the theories, book a trip, and see for yourself. Whether its worse or bad, who knows, but it's surely gonna register in the fun arena.

And that's providing you like fun.

And no, I disagree with you.

Mr Pete: Since you have sailed the shorter cruises...and the longer ones.. you can say that the shorter cruises are NOT more of a booze cruise compared to a longer cruise?

That is the main reason I stay away from the short ones. Misconceptions. rumors..etc.etc.

I found the shorter cruises a little more "active" but it also could have had to do with the ship.... cruised the Sensation in July, over a holiday weekend... there was a party atmosphere, but also SO many children... the disco was open until after 4 every night, and packed. The Sensation out of NOLA in October, probably had to do with leaving out of NOLA, those people know how to party :D plus we had a large group... GREAT party atmosphere, and SO much fun... not alot of children onboard. The Miracle in February... the ship was very quiet, if it weren't for our group, there would have been zero party atmosphere... seemed almost "retirement home'ish" in my opinion... but I have heard that is true of the Miracle... again, very few kids. So perhaps it depends on the ship, the port, and time of year.

EVERY cruise I been on has been like the Mircle in February-- you mean that isnt the norm?? (LOL)

THe most kids I sailed with was 35 on the Sensation back in 2000 and the majoirty of the kids were ours.

VERY FEW kids onboard the Miracle. I think the kids onboard belonged to the people in the groups.

It's quite true that the average passenger age has a direct relationship with the length of the cruise. Shorter cruises have a lower average age and longer cruises have a higher average age--especially the 8+ day cruises. Retirees and those who have been in the work force a while have more free time to cruise, so you don't hear about as many wild Mediterrean cruises, for example. While it is true that shorter cruises with their lower total price attract younger cruisers, not all young cruisers are party animals. Short cruises at a low cost allow more young couples with children to cruise.

I introduced a couple in their early 70's to Carnival. We had a small group on Carnival Legend. This couple. who have cruised a number of different lines, had previously avoided Carnival due to hearing bad things about their quality, wild night life, etc. At the end of the cruise, the gentleman told me that this was the best cruise he had ever been on. My Mom, who is now in her early 70's, considers our Sensation cruise as the best cruise she has been on. I'm not suggesting that if you cruise Carnival you will feel the same way. It all comes down to personal preferences and realistic expectations.

I agree with others who have stated that the Carnival atmoshpere is pretty similar, whether on a 4 day or a 7 day. Don't forget that any ship on any line can have that person (or group of people) who just drive you batty becasue they act so obnoxiously.

FYI, I've only been on one RCI cruise and the experience was unmemorable, to say the least ... I keep telling myself that I need to do a 7 dayer with them to make sure, but it hasn't happened yet. :)

Hmmm, tell that to the people who sailed the second sailing of the Liberty. The Reviews that came off about the kids were a mess.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing!!!!

You can get a wild bunch anywhere... Like I said, we had men on the Grand Princess flashing us... for hours... and some say that the Grand Princess is "tame"... well, probably not that week :D

Blame Kathy Lee Gifford, I like to. Seriously they tried to market to younger people for years and got what they wanted. Unfortunatly it has really hurt them now. The average age of their cruisers has dropped but it's still in the 40's.
I don't see how this has hurt Carnival at all; they are a very successful cruiseline.

I remember my brother going on a Carnival cruise when he graduated from college. Ran up a huge bar bill that my parents had to wire money to help pay off. That is part of the reason for the 25 year old age restriction unless your married.

I think the reason that carnival has such problems is because they really don't do anything to try to change people's opinions. Most people that I know think that Carnival is cheap and gaudy, and the decor of their ships does nothing to disuade people from that view point. I happen to agree with that opinion, and yes, I have sailed Carnival, on the Conquest when she was new. If that's the best that Carnival can do then it's really sad.

I'd say the people that think Carnival has a bad rep are "prolly" about the same amount that were "grumpy" *cough*whined*cough* that Bob was talking about...only 5%....I mean I just came from another RCI and Carnival is superior in entertainment and food but I saw some things one the RCI cruises that would make some of those 5% surprised that things like that go on,,,,,on THERE ship...OOPS?:D

Archived