First timer, what are some must-do excursions?

billmanweh

My wife and I are going on a Princess cruise to Alaska next month and I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis choosing the excursions

Ports are Glacier Bay National Park, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Vancouver BC

We like scenery, wildlife, and active is good as long as it's not extreme. Any suggestions for can't miss excursions?

We (me and my wife) were first timers and just returned back from exactly the same cruise as yours and we are wildlife lovers too :-)

1. Whale Watching in Juneau ( highly recommend Harv and Marv)

2. Kenai Cruise out of Seward (before the big cruise if time permits)

3. Bear watching in Anan Creek ( out of Ketchikan) We were too early for this. Depends on your dates.

4. Helicopter ride along with Dog Sledding out of Skagway or Juneau. We did it out of Skagway because of lack of time in Juneau. Was AWAESOME!

If you are on Princess do not miss their 'North to Alaska' programs on the ship.

Cheers!

Edited by newbie_mke

There are hundreds of excellent tours to select. I suggest you narrow your ideas further, as they still would involve 100++++ tour selections.

For wildlife, Anan is the recommended bear watch, which likely will NOT be available, unless you only need 1 seat, also check the stats of Pack Creek. If at the end of the month- Neets Bay is another good area.

Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the tours out of Juneau.

There are no "tour" in Glacier Bay.

Here's some Top 5 ideas... once you get off the boat... the excursions are about the same.

txO8VK4LaLQ e_eMbvWq8lU F4PEcfMK1eY mjOwP2OAuPU

You might need more than one trip to do everything...

One Princess tour that may be a must do is the Tracy Arm excursion as you approach Juneau. In addition to Glacier Bay, you have an opportunity to see Sawyer glacier as a bonus... By transferring mid-ocean you save a few hours in Juneau not needing to retrace 50 miles of ocean. Need to confirm if it's available on your trip.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=TA1-665

Guaranteed sellout before the cruise ship departs as the excursion boat is much smaller.

[YOUTUBE]l40k_wZzVuc[/YOUTUBE]

My all time favourite excursion is the White Pass & Yukon Railway in Skagway. A wonderful trip and well worth the money. We took the train both ways, but there are other options, like bus up and train back.

My all time favourite excursion is the White Pass & Yukon Railway in Skagway. A wonderful trip and well worth the money. We took the train both ways, but there are other options, like bus up and train back.

My favorite also.....must do this in Skagway.

In Ketchikan, the Deadliest Catch is wonderful.

eclue:rolleyes:

In Skagway we book through Chilkoot tours for the van ride up to Carcross (driver pulled over so we could enjoy a glossy black bear chowing down on dandelions right next to us at the side of the road) and then white mountain train back down to Skagway. In Juneau we tour with Captain Larry at Orca Enterprise. Also did the snorkeling tour in Ketchakan for a different type of critter viewing. Next year we are finally going on the helicopter tour/dog sledding - still trying to decide between Skagway and Juneau for that.

Ketchikan - would be a municipal bus ride out to Totem Bight.

Juneau - an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway - the WP&YRR to at least the summit

Vancouver - Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge and or Grouse Mountain.

Ketchikan - would be a municipal bus ride out to Totem Bight.

Juneau - an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier

Skagway - the WP&YRR to at least the summit

These are the excursions that I have booked (or in the case of Ketchikan) plan on doing. I have booked the WP&YRR railroad to Fraser and the motorcoach for return. Helicopter/Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier. According to you...I have made the right choices. ;)

Edited by DentoAlaska

In Skagway we book through Chilkoot tours for the van ride up to Carcross (driver pulled over so we could enjoy a glossy black bear chowing down on dandelions right next to us at the side of the road) and then white mountain train back down to Skagway. In Juneau we tour with Captain Larry at Orca Enterprise. Also did the snorkeling tour in Ketchakan for a different type of critter viewing. Next year we are finally going on the helicopter tour/dog sledding - still trying to decide between Skagway and Juneau for that.

I second the Chilkoot excursion, we did opposite but it was great. Went as far as Emerald Lake. We thought the Flightseeing trip around McKinley with Talkeetna Air Taxi set the tone for the whole trip. Love it. Used Harv and Marv in Juneau only 5 on our trip! Really liked We also took a high speed boat to the hatchery where we watched 2 bear munch on salmon for a couple hours. (this was the only ship sponsored excursion we took) andd it was great.

If you check the very top of the page you will see reports from previous years. There are several great and length reports with lots of pictures. These were great to help me narrow down what I wanted to see.

One review that comes to mind is one from Walleylj. There are several great reports. Scroll the different years.

Have fun planning your trip and enjoy your cruise!

These are the excursions that I have booked (or in the case of Ketchikan) plan on doing. I have booked the WP&YRR railroad to Fraser and the motorcoach for return. Helicopter/Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier. According to you...I have made the right choices. ;)

I am always right....just ask Dudette.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently the wife has already done the train ride in Skagway

Any other suggestions?

First look over a Skagway shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. http://www.skagway.com

You state, very general about yourself, what else you are doing? There are at least a 100 different things you can do in Skagway.

Edited by Budget Queen

We are just back from a cruise in Alaska. Our very favorite excursion was the dog sledding and additional glacier landing out of Juneau. We have both said we are so glad we did not miss doing this.

How much was that?

Apparently the wife has already done the train ride in Skagway

Any other suggestions?

I did the Ocean Raft Adventure in Skagway - a large zodiac with approximately 15 people that goes along the shore - we saw lots of waterfalls and wildlife. The boat went fast and did doughnuts. I booked it through the ship - tried to book directly, but couldn't. It was a 2 hour excursion and so much fun.

For Juneau, we decided to take the shuttle out to the Glacier, then a whale watching tour with Orca Enterprises. And then either dinner or the Salmon Bake.

For Ketchikan, I think we've decided on the Deadliest Catch excursion.

And one of the Chilkoot tours for Skagway. Just need to decide which one.

:)