Regal vs. Royal

twinkle toes

We have sailed on them both and they are almost identical. The Regal has a tiny aft pool that the Royal doesn't, but we really enjoyed sitting at the aft of the Royal in the covered area. Great place to watch the wake and be out of the sun. Preferred the promenade on the Regal as you can walk behind the life boats, whereas on the Royal you can't - to go front to aft you have to go inside the ship then go back outside again.

But those are minor things and we loved our cruises on both ships and we would not hesitate to go on either again.

I've also sailed on both ships & as 'Daisyloo' posted there are few differences and I'd decide based on price & itinerary.

There are a couple of other changes made to the Regal & in the Princess Theater side aisles were added for better access to seats. Other changes is a window in Princess Live, modifications to the stacks to reduce any soot issues & additional wind blocks at the adults only Retreat pool to be less windy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have sailed on them both and they are almost identical. The Regal has a tiny aft pool that the Royal doesn't, but we really enjoyed sitting at the aft of the Royal in the covered area. Great place to watch the wake and be out of the sun. Preferred the promenade on the Regal as you can walk behind the life boats, whereas on the Royal you can't - to go front to aft you have to go inside the ship then go back outside again.

But those are minor things and we loved our cruises on both ships and we would not hesitate to go on either again.

Just know that the small pool on deck 17 on Regal rear is a smoking area. They built steps down to Lido & the smoke drifts down in the outside eating area.

If you had the exact itinerary, would you rather go on the royal or the regal, and why?

I have sailed them both.The chances of the two ships doing the same itinerary for the same price at the same time are slim. But if it did happen, I would flip a coin. They are both excellent ships with great crews and service.:D

Hi,

I have cruised on both the Royal Princess and the Regal Princess. As discussed above, the ships are very similar. However, a few minor changes were made to the Regal Princess. I would probably give a slight edge to the Regal Princess (a year newer and design improvements), but there honestly is little difference between the ships.

Chuck

Regal-- as I enjoyed the small aft dipping pool and the views over the wake. Also the Princess Theatre has side aisles, which makes entering and exiting much easier. The "improvement" on the promenade deck didn't make a difference for me. Much prefer the walking track. You won't go wrong with either ship. As evidence, I'm back on the Royal for two cruises this year.

Regal-- as I enjoyed the small aft dipping pool and the views over the wake. Also the Princess Theatre has side aisles, which makes entering and exiting much easier. The "improvement" on the promenade deck didn't make a difference for me. Much prefer the walking track. You won't go wrong with either ship. As evidence, I'm back on the Royal for two cruises this year.

I should go look at the deck plans. I didn't know there was not a walking track on the Regal. I'm sailing with one definite walker on the Regal and really thought she would like the walking track.

I should go look at the deck plans. I didn't know there was not a walking track on the Regal. I'm sailing with one definite walker on the Regal and really thought she would like the walking track.

Michelle...both Royal & Regal have the 1/7 mile track on the upper deck...one lane for runners & one for walkers.

To me the narrow area under the lifeboats on Promenade deck is useless & like 'HRPro' I prefer the upper deck track or using a treadmill. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Does DH need to climb up the stairs on Regal near aft 'dipping pool' to have his cigarette break?

Thanks.

PS is there smoking on the prom. deck outside, starboard side or where else outside.

Thanks again.

Safe sails.

Does DH need to climb up the stairs on Regal near aft 'dipping pool' to have his cigarette break?

Thanks.

PS is there smoking on the prom. deck outside, starboard side or where else outside.

Thanks again.

Safe sails.

We took the elevator.

Promenade deck starboard side aft.

We cruised on the Regal Princess last November & liked the side aisles in the Theater. Being the newer ship, we would cruise on the Regal once again. Nothing against the Royal Princess, just a few differences on the Regal Princess. We would do a cruise on either ship.

For New England Itinererary, I would use either ship- we are using the Regal 2016 because that is the one being used.

What I didn't like about those ship's designs were:

elevators very crowed: too small for that size of a ship.

steam rooms on different deck than the gym, plus only being part of the spa where only 40 passes are issued per sailing???

lack of center stair case, we found peculiar.

Many people didn't like the lack of full wrap around promonade- (that didn't make any difference to us.

tiny balconies--

But for New England Itinerary- we are booked for the first time in an inside cabin, as there is only one sea day, and we will be busy with al the ports on the other days. As a floating hotel, the ship will be just fine for us. DH can manage without the steam room for this voyage.