NCL Gem Chapel

I have read that the Gem has a Chapel on board ... a nice touch IMO.

Does anyone know how well "equipped" it is? I am cruising over the Thanksgiving holiday. If someone wanted to organize a Thanksgiving service, does the Chapel have hymnals, a sound system, etc? Or is it strictly what YOU bring to the Chapel for use?

I have read that the Gem has a Chapel on board ... a nice touch IMO.

Does anyone know how well "equipped" it is? I am cruising over the Thanksgiving holiday. If someone wanted to organize a Thanksgiving service, does the Chapel have hymnals, a sound system, etc? Or is it strictly what YOU bring to the Chapel for use?

I didn't see any hymnals but they could have those stored when not in use. As noted it isn't very big so a sound system wouldn't be needed. I believe it has a lectern and chairs. Best bet is to contact the event coordinator and ask about using it.

There are a few chairs in the chapel. It will comfortably seat about 20 - 25.

The one sailing I lead worship while sailing on the Gem, I had made arrangements with the Events Coordinator ahead of time. I also insisted that it be included in the Freestyle Daily with the time and place. I asked it be stated it would be an non-denomination Christian service. About 30 attended the first and 25 the second. On this particular sailing there was a RC priest present to celebrate mass.

I was unaware of any hymnals or other worship material being available. I brought everything I wanted for the services. Be sure any hymns, even just words, are in the public domain or you can reference a CCLI license.

There are a few chairs in the chapel. It will comfortably seat about 20 - 25.

The one sailing I lead worship while sailing on the Gem, I had made arrangements with the Events Coordinator ahead of time. I also insisted that it be included in the Freestyle Daily with the time and place. I asked it be stated it would be an non-denomination Christian service. About 30 attended the first and 25 the second. On this particular sailing there was a RC priest present to celebrate mass.

I was unaware of any hymnals or other worship material being available. I brought everything I wanted for the services. Be sure any hymns, even just words, are in the public domain or you can reference a CCLI license.

Thank you so much ... I am also a protestant pastor and have considered doing the same thing on my cruise!

The first service, on Epiphany, was actually held in Spinnakers. As it was a feast day, and the first Sunday of the month, my helper, someone waiting for her first call, we opted to serve communion. Must say it was the most unique setting I've ever presided at communion. The second Sunday we were in the Chapel and it was not in the Freestyle Daily, but because I had announced it the week before many showed up.

I have always found it amazing how many people will come up to me at other times during the cruise and talk about the service or ask some question. One person even came up and appoliged for interrupting the service by arriving early for the next event.

The room is quite small and unless they have something planned it often has no chairs. It was suggested to me by the HD as a location when my aunt passed whilst we were away and I wanted to be somewhere quiet at the same time her funeral was taking place at home. I arrived to find no chairs, a table with artificial flowers and found the entire room dismal rather than having a feeling of quiet and tranquility. I left after a couple of minutes.