QM2 STN-HAM-STN 28Jun Review

laktex

This was quite a last minute decision for us as we are reticent to book short cruises (this was 4 days) because of the possible "booze cruise" mentality. However, being the last leg of the TA from NY to Hamburg and the first leg of the special Anniversary crossing via Liverpool we thought we would take the risk.

Good embarkation process after checking in the car to CPS and we were quickly in our cabin on 10 deck. We popped off for lunch in the Princess Grill which is always a pleasant experience on embarkation day - back to our room - cases had arrived - unpack (we always travel heavy) and enjoy a bit of time on deck. I temporarily left the two bottles of Pol Aker unopened!! Sail away from the QEII terminal was good - Aurora led out, overtaking us in the process, and Ventura followed us so there was plenty of horn blowing and much flag waving from Aurora.

Dinner was pretty good - my wife's Tournedos Rossini was excellent - the only thing we would say (and previously mentioned in other posts) that the plates and food could have been hotter. The show was brilliant with Massimo and Alessia doing a sort of twosome Cirque de Soleil act. Evening closed with my nightly visit to The Commodore which wasn't too busy - there was certainly no "booze cruise" elements about in our experience.

Sea day was lovely with plenty of sunshine and the decks were comfortably full of sun bathers. The Insight lectures were good with the former Heathrow Customs officer being the pick of the three for me - very entertaining and interesting.

The day in Hamburg was bathed in sunshine - we got off early walked through Hafen City to the Rathaus and used the hop on hop off bus to explore the city - I always think this is one of the best ways to see a city without incurring great cost. We had a brilliant day and leaving Hamburg is a great experience - is was fun watching Captain Wells on the bridge wing in charge of turning the ship round. There was plenty of maintenance going on during the day - especially the crane with platform to allow two ship hands to paint the Port Bridge Wing. There are lots of criticisms about the ships condition - frankly in my opinion things are pretty good - for sure some things need doing but we must remember she is a 10 year old ship and things will fail and rust will constantly prevail - she will certainly be better after the supposed 2016 dry dock.

The evening meal was superb - we ordered the Duck and got the entire duck to the two of us, very tender, beautifully served and HOT. We did mention that the food could be hotter and for the remainder of the cruise everything was much better.

Another sea day in excellent weather ensured the decks were full of sun lovers and finally back to Southampton - Capt Wells turned the ship at the QEII and then reversed back (is there a nautical term for that?) to City Terminal where we docked on time - my car was just a minutes walk toward the Holiday Inn and now we are home.

All in all a brilliant 4 days.

Thanks so much for the report, I've been tempted by the Hamburg trip but slightly worried about the "booze cruise" comments.

It looks as if I'm going to have to give it a go.

Edited by Host Hattie

This was quite a last minute decision for us as we are reticent to book short cruises (this was 4 days) because of the possible "booze cruise" mentality. However, being the last leg of the TA from NY to Hamburg and the first leg of the special Anniversary crossing via Liverpool we thought we would take the risk.

Good embarkation process after checking in the car to CPS and we were quickly in our cabin on 10 deck. We popped off for lunch in the Princess Grill which is always a pleasant experience on embarkation day - back to our room - cases had arrived - unpack (we always travel heavy) and enjoy a bit of time on deck. I temporarily left the two bottles of Pol Aker unopened!! Sail away from the QEII terminal was good - Aurora led out, overtaking us in the process, and Ventura followed us so there was plenty of horn blowing and much flag waving from Aurora.

Dinner was pretty good - my wife's Tournedos Rossini was excellent - the only thing we would say (and previously mentioned in other posts) that the plates and food could have been hotter. The show was brilliant with Massimo and Alessia doing a sort of twosome Cirque de Soleil act. Evening closed with my nightly visit to The Commodore which wasn't too busy - there was certainly no "booze cruise" elements about in our experience.

Sea day was lovely with plenty of sunshine and the decks were comfortably full of sun bathers. The Insight lectures were good with the former Heathrow Customs officer being the pick of the three for me - very entertaining and interesting.

The day in Hamburg was bathed in sunshine - we got off early walked through Hafen City to the Rathaus and used the hop on hop off bus to explore the city - I always think this is one of the best ways to see a city without incurring great cost. We had a brilliant day and leaving Hamburg is a great experience - is was fun watching Captain Wells on the bridge wing in charge of turning the ship round. There was plenty of maintenance going on during the day - especially the crane with platform to allow two ship hands to paint the Port Bridge Wing. There are lots of criticisms about the ships condition - frankly in my opinion things are pretty good - for sure some things need doing but we must remember she is a 10 year old ship and things will fail and rust will constantly prevail - she will certainly be better after the supposed 2016 dry dock.

The evening meal was superb - we ordered the Duck and got the entire duck to the two of us, very tender, beautifully served and HOT. We did mention that the food could be hotter and for the remainder of the cruise everything was much better.

Another sea day in excellent weather ensured the decks were full of sun lovers and finally back to Southampton - Capt Wells turned the ship at the QEII and then reversed back (is there a nautical term for that?) to City Terminal where we docked on time - my car was just a minutes walk toward the Holiday Inn and now we are home.

All in all a brilliant 4 days.

reversed back (is there a nautical term for that?) going astern

Thanks so much for the report, I've been tempted by the Hamburg trip but slightly worried about the "booze cruise" comments.

It looks as if I'm going to have to give it a go.

Just off the QE in Hamburg today after a 3 day short cruise. Nothing resembling a booze cruise. Didn't see a single person who appeared to have imbibed more than they should.