LEGENDary Alaska Sailing 6/23-6/30 Photo Review

theriac

We docked in Juneau for another early port of call. Today I had arranged for Whale Watch, Mendenhall Glacier and City Tour. It was booked with Juneau Tours online and the cost was $125 per person. We got the cost down because 13 of us from a roll call group booked together saving us all 10% bringing the cost down to $112.50 per person.

So we docked at 07:00 and had to meet the group at 08:00 by the Mount Roberts Tramway. There were a few people holding up signs so it was very easy to find out where we needed to be. I will say the girl who was working the dock for them was very outgoing and charismatic. She took our picture and told us where to wait. We did change the tour around a bit because we would have been getting back to the ship right around the time all guests needed to be back on board and we didn't want to chance it. So we opted for an earlier Whale watch an cut our time at Mendenhall by about 45 minutes.

So our bus had arrived which was an entire school bus just for our group of 13 so we had ample room to be comfortable and take pictures on both sides. The first part was the city tour and then a drop off at Mendenhall. We got to learn about the cities history from a very funny gentleman. He was also of Tlinglit descent so he had a lot of knowledge about his heritage that he was willing to share. Unfortunately I didn't get any good pictures on the tour that I can make out and tell you what they are. I will add though that there are a ton of bald eagles all around Juneau. When we got off the ship there was easily 10 flying around the port, on the tour we saw more especially on our way into Mendenhall.

So we finish the city tour and he drops us off at the glacier and lets us know where and what time we will be picked up. We had about 45 minutes to an hour here as I recall which seemed like enough time. As you're driving in you start getting a look at the glacier which is absolutely amazing. The color of the ice was this baby blue like color I will never forget. As you get there you have many different options. You can get on a trail and head for the waterfall, go upstairs to where there's a little museum($3 admission), there's also a spot right by the parking lot to go look at the glacier and lake and also view the waterfall, and to the left there is a board walk and what appeared to be a myriad of trails where you could view the landscape and if you're lucky some wildlife.

IMG_0514_zpstoemippd.jpg

IMG_0517_zps5rlmisfy.jpg

IMG_0522_zps3hvy1q1j.jpg

IMG_0524_zpswkoujlxw.jpg

So it's about 10:00 at this point and our bus picks us up to bring us to Auke Bay where we will be catching our boat for the whale watching part of the day. The ship wasn't huge, but it also wasn't small. There were 25 people total on the boat and open decks at both the front and the back for people to observe. However the first sight upon arrival was this majestic bird.

IMG_0528_zpsbw0xct9v.jpg

We boarded the boat and off we were. The views of leaving the bay were also absolutely stunning.

IMG_0535_zpswzb5rx6j.jpg

IMG_0536_zpsisafcjzo.jpg

It takes about 20 minutes or so before we find a spot that had 3 or 4 whales. They were just coming up for air every few minutes and weren't very active. It was hard to get that great shot since you never knew when they would be coming up for air, and also letting other people in to see them if they were on one side. Here are a few pictures from our first sighting of the whales.

IMG_0537_zpslsvotymp.jpg

IMG_0539_zpssjnlrdl4.jpg

IMG_0540_zpse5lpjncc.jpg

After the whales stopped coming back up on a regular basis the captain decided to bring us to another spot where there's known whale activity. We were sailing down the channel for about 30 minutes and then all of a sudden we come to a stop and get to see this.

IMG_0546_zpskqf7h1rd.jpg

IMG_0550_zpsck4ihbac.jpg

IMG_0552_zps7lzdcwgn.jpg

On the last picture with the lone Sea Lion you can notice the scars on its side. We were told how these animals are very mean to one another and actually enjoy fighting each other(sounds like democrats and republicans trying to work together). They make this noise which sounded like Chewbacca mixed with a cat in a fight. They look so peaceful in these pictures, but you could tell they get agitated very easily.

So we left here to go to where the whales were. We arrive and there's already another boat there so we can easily find where the whale is at by the bubbles starting to surface at the top of the water.

IMG_0553_zpshnaqwdsq.jpg

IMG_0554_zpsaunv8alf.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsjxvbmuzd.jpg

I would like to add how amazing the scenery is when outside of the water. Endless snow capped mountains and little islands all around.

IMG_0556_zps8dnh4c4q.jpg

IMG_0557_zps8usi3np2.jpg

IMG_0545_zpsljt2bud2.jpg

This one actually has a glacier right in the middle. I didn't get it's name, but this entire area is absolutely beautiful.

I really like the experience I had with Juneau tours. They were all very professional, energetic, fun, courteous, and knowledgeable. After the roughly 2.5 hours on the water we made our way back to the dock. We boarded a bus and back to ship we went. It was probably about 13:15 so my father and I went to get lunch on the ship and then walked around the port area to look at some different shops.

I really enjoyed our day in Juneau. It started to rain just a little bit when we got back from the whale watching tour, and also when boarding the ship for the second time.

Once back on board it was again kind of boring. I went and took a nap since there was nothing to do. They didn't have any comedians on tonight and the only real thing they did in the theater was The Love and Marriage show which was amusing, but also only 45 minutes of entertainment. I will say though this is a very relaxing cruise and it's nice to just be able to sit and look at all the scenery you're sailing by through the passages.

Later tonight I will review Ketchikan.

Thank you for posting this review, pix are amazing! The scenery is breath taking for sure and this is a cruise DH and DS (12) would love to take.

I get why people do it, but I have to be honest, my brain is having a really hard time NOT seeing beaches and island pix on a cruise :eek: ! It is just not adding up and I really wish I could get on board (literally I guess) with the idea of it. Especially since we would not be driving to the port like we do now, its just a lot of money overall and no tropical beach!!! But, I will keep working on it.....

I still enjoyed the pix and reading the review, great job on that.

We sailed in May on the Crown Princess and took the ship excursion doing this same trip in Skagway. The mountains in May were completely covered in snow and absolutely beautiful. People say don't go in May or early Jun, but I have to disagree with them. The scenery was so much more fantastic, just unbelievable. Our temp were in the high 60's and lo 70's and the only rain we had was a drizzle in Ketchican.

Loving your review as it is bringing back some good memories.

Agree i was in may as well with tge snow it was stunning! But Op, your pics are great as well!

1436722785051.jpg.d8da7d0e83ee76b8990246bd2a065d31.jpg