Alaskan Railroad Packages

ProfessorandtheGeek

They are similar to many cruise tours. IF you have specific places you want to go, AND it is on the rail line, then it would also be simple to go on your own. Advantage, is you determine how many days at your locations. I will mention, you really need a longer stay, if you use the train. I really recommend 3 nights at Denali, round trip Anchorage using the train.

Although, less generous, the last few years, the purchased coupon books sometimes have Alaska RR discounts, that could be a great offer going independent.

You already have given some thought to "things you want to do". If an Alaska RR package, offers this, may be a great selection for you, but, I also would suggest you don't compromise overall.

After reviewing our cruise line cruise tours, they do not encompass the things we want to do. However, the Alaskan Railroad has some great packages. Has anyone ever done this? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

We are going to be doing that exact thing coming up, so can't say from experience yet. Do know that the ladies we have spoken to at AR have been SO helpful and helped us create an itinerary to our liking. We - DH, my kids (13 & 15) and I really wanted to see the country by train. We started out with one of the basic ones and went from there to create what we were looking for. I liked that they could include the hotels and transfers etc.... And if you want, excursions. We chose to book our excursions directly for the train portion and we are really excited about our trip - cruise and land/train!! I can't say enough good things about the girls in the AR office - we called so many times that we got on a first name basis and they knew us right away!! LOL. :rolleyes::

Good luck in your planning!:D

We started out with one of the basic ones and went from there to create what we were looking for. I liked that they could include the hotels and transfers etc.... And if you want, excursions. We chose to book our excursions directly for the train portion and we are really excited about our trip - cruise and land/train!!

Good luck in your planning!:D

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. We are looking to go from Seward to Anchorage on the Coastal Classic, then Anchorage to Denali by train, 3 nights in Denali and then the train back to Anchorage. The Just Basics package is good, but we really wanted one more night in Denali. Glad to hear that we can combine all of this and include excursions! Thank you so much :-)

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. We are looking to go from Seward to Anchorage on the Coastal Classic, then Anchorage to Denali by train, 3 nights in Denali and then the train back to Anchorage. The Just Basics package is good, but we really wanted one more night in Denali. Glad to hear that we can combine all of this and include excursions! Thank you so much :-)

You have a very easy basic plan. If you have a preference for lodging, many do have rr shuttles. No need to limit yourself to what the Alaska RR has contracts with.

I'm not sure what the above post is talking about with the add ons. And they haven't gone yet.

I find it is of significant benefit to book all your tours/excursions direct, you do not need to involve any "booking agent", who the RR would be, plus you are actually limiting yourself to all that may be available. At Denali, there is a lot of walk up touring available, that is well suited to this fantastic place. It leaves the ability to perhaps, enjoy something of interest at the last minute.

You are welcome!! We didn't realize that you could tailor it either until we called, so like I said, think you will find the ladies at the AR very helpful!! Happy planning!! :D