Jewel Alaska - Sawyer Glacier

webzila

Just back from Alaska / NCL Jewel and just wondering why the ship did not go to the Sawyer glacier (July 1) even though it was on the itinerary. It was perfect weather that day. We weren't on the ship so not sure if the captain made any announcements.

We actually took the Tracy Arm excursion where you get on the boat that goes ahead of the ship and they went to Dawes glacier and the Jewel ended up there as well.

Just back from Alaska / NCL Jewel and just wondering why the ship did not go to the Sawyer glacier (July 1) even though it was on the itinerary. It was perfect weather that day. We weren't on the ship so not sure if the captain made any announcements.

We actually took the Tracy Arm excursion where you get on the boat that goes ahead of the ship and they went to Dawes glacier and the Jewel ended up there as well.

Not sure, but I would have asked Shore Ex while on board, not Cruise Critic ?

To tell you the truth, we didn't care what glacier it went to. What we saw was amazing either way and at that time we were just impressed with whatever glacier we were at. I thought it was Sawyer since that's what was on the itinerary. It wasn't until the very last night that we overheard someone that they were disappointed that the ship didn't go to Sawyer glacier. It was too late to ask shore excursion team and like I said, I don't really care but just wondering.

I am not going to call NCL about it now and ask so that's why I am asking here in case someone on the same trip knows why (or from previous trips with same experience). Not a big deal...

As the ship approaches the Saywer Glacier turn, the Capt evaluates the amount of ice flows up the finger of water leading to it. Unfortunately, frequently that route to Saywer cannot be navigated because of the amount of ice in the way. The later the season, the better chance of going there. However, we loved the trip up to Dawes. I am so impressed how the ship can navigate between cliffs and turns that are only short yards from the edge of the ship.

As the ship approaches the Saywer Glacier turn, the Capt evaluates the amount of ice flows up the finger of water leading to it. Unfortunately, frequently that route to Saywer cannot be navigated because of the amount of ice in the way. The later the season, the better chance of going there. However, we loved the trip up to Dawes. I am so impressed how the ship can navigate between cliffs and turns that are only short yards from the edge of the ship.

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely correct.

I emailed the company that does the tours and got the same reply:

Tracy Arm fjord had a large, large amount of ice fall.....in a short time.....and that created navigational difficulties for ships large & small for about 6-7 days. Happens 2-3 times a summer typically.