Celebrity Summit 6/28 Sailing

tlaffin

We are hoping to also charter a catamaran or small boat while in Bermuda. Could you share the name of the company that you used, and also possibly the cost? Thank you!

We used Somerset Water Sports and rented a Boston Whaler. Their shop was not too far from Dockyards (15 minutes by taxi, $20 each way, but can go by bus for less). Service was friendly and efficient. Their website is useful and an accurate representation of what they offer. I would recommend using them if you are looking for a small boat or jetski.

We fished, visited a wreck, and went to a beach. The closest beach was not very good, but you can go farther. We spent only $13 on gas even though they estimate $40, so I guess we were not very adventurous. We have young kids and the boat was fine for them. They liked feeding bread to the schools of ravenous chubs that hang out near the Vixen, a partially submerged wreck that is close by.

I think we paid $126 for 3 hours (we were late for a 4-hour rental and they kindly gave us a discount. It's normally $140 or so). We paid another $19 to rent bait and tackle, which included one rod and two boxes of whole squid. You can rent snorkel gear and there are snorkeling opportunities too. We had our own but the kids didn't want to snorkel in the slightly wavy sea.

Hope that helps.

One more opinion on the temperature: I did not notice any problems. The AC in the cabin worked fine most of the time. My wife thought it wasn't cooling properly at one point but she said something to the room attendant and we didn't have a problem after that. The rest of the ship was fine. Maybe I'm not sensitive to it. We always interpret the dress codes loosely so never had a problem with being hot in the restaurants.

Yes, they provide towels and it's one per person. However, I'm sure if you needed an extra, they would provide it.

There wasn't anyone serving drinks on the beach when we were there. You did need to go to the bar area which is by the pool/restaurant.

I did see a few children there. They were building sandcastles and had some small beach toys with them as well like buckets, shovels, etc.

The one thing I would recommend is trying to consolidate trips from the restaurant/bar/pool area to the beach. It's a little bit of a hike up the stairs and pathway. The bathrooms are also only located up at the resort and are not on the beach area (unless I completely missed them!). So maybe when you go up for lunch, hit the restrooms and grab drinks while you're there so you don't have to constantly go up and down the hill.

We had a wonderful time and I think you'll really enjoy it. The food was definitely top notch, and the view and scenery is one of the most beautiful I've seen.

We were there at the same time and agree with everything said here. In fact, I think we were the family with kids and beach toys you referenced! We came prepared!

There is a nice freshwater swimming pool that the kids really enjoyed. We did beach in the morning, then lunch, then pool in the afternoon. You have to book early. The Coco View offers a limited number of day passes and yes, it's completely worth it. Elbow Beach is a bit of a hike from the ship, but we took the bus and it was fine.

How did you pay the cab? With a credit card, American dollars or local currency?

Thanks so much!

We paid cabs (and tips) with American cash. The Bermuda dollar is pegged to the U.S. dollar. We paid for services like resort day pass, restaurant bills, dive and boat rentals with credit cards. If you take buses, you need coins (American is fine) or you need to buy tokens, which require purchasing at fixed times and locations.

One interesting feature of the sailing from Bayonne is that most of the passengers we met were local. So many strong accents from northern NJ and Staten Island, and so forth. Yankee fans everywhere. I did not don any of my Red Sox gear in public. Very different feel from a sailing from Florida, where the conversation about where you are from is unpredictable. On the Summit to Bermuda, people talk about which exit and it seems like a large group of neighbors taking a voyage together.

I will be on this cruise in 19 days and really looking forward to it. I like the idea to going to the resort beach. Can you tell me how you booked it? What was included?

We've been on several cruises before (Carnival & 2 RCL) but this is our ffirst time with Celebrity. We have our 4 kids going with us (21, 16, 14, and 11). I want to go relax and find nice beach where I don't have to fight or chairs or a spot.

I will be on this cruise in 19 days and really looking forward to it. I like the idea to going to the resort beach. Can you tell me how you booked it? What was included?

We've been on several cruises before (Carnival & 2 RCL) but this is our ffirst time with Celebrity. We have our 4 kids going with us (21, 16, 14, and 11). I want to go relax and find nice beach where I don't have to fight or chairs or a spot.

First off they may be booked so be aware of that. If you go to the CocoReef web site there is an email address. Send them a note telling how many in your party and of course what day. The price is $69.95pp and is payable when you arrive, no need to give credit card or anything on the email. If it is available you should receive an email back in a day or two. I'm not sure what the price is for the kids. The price for the adults includes a two course lunch which was excellent and a glass of wine. There is more info available on the Bermuda board.

Sarah:

I was there a few weeks ago, they did have people serving drinks at the pool area which is right below the restaurant. I did not hit the beach due to a problem with my leg. The lunch was excellent in my opinion, two courses, either appetizer and entrée or entre and dessert. I had a fish chowder for an appetizer which was loaded with fish and excellent. Also, had as an entre a pasta dish with pesto which was really good.

We also did not have a lot of people there, I believe many of those who are staying at the hotel are off sightseeing. We did the same thing as the OP, took the earliest ferry and then the cab, we were there by 10.

I thought the food on the ship was excellent, enjoyed the various beef dishes, did not see any of these items recycled the next day in the buffet. Desserts, especially cookies were really good.

A little unknown sort of event is the tea they have in the solarium at the Aqua Spa café late in the afternoon.

Great! Thanks for the info. It will nice to sit pool side w/ a cocktail. I'm getting very excited and look forward to enjoying a bowl of fish chowder myself :)

We used Somerset Water Sports and rented a Boston Whaler. Their shop was not too far from Dockyards (15 minutes by taxi, $20 each way, but can go by bus for less). Service was friendly and efficient. Their website is useful and an accurate representation of what they offer. I would recommend using them if you are looking for a small boat or jetski.

We fished, visited a wreck, and went to a beach. The closest beach was not very good, but you can go farther. We spent only $13 on gas even though they estimate $40, so I guess we were not very adventurous. We have young kids and the boat was fine for them. They liked feeding bread to the schools of ravenous chubs that hang out near the Vixen, a partially submerged wreck that is close by.

I think we paid $126 for 3 hours (we were late for a 4-hour rental and they kindly gave us a discount. It's normally $140 or so). We paid another $19 to rent bait and tackle, which included one rod and two boxes of whole squid. You can rent snorkel gear and there are snorkeling opportunities too. We had our own but the kids didn't want to snorkel in the slightly wavy sea.

Hope that helps.

Oh so they did have fishing tackle rentals? We are renting a pontoon boat from Sommerset and had planned on bringing our own fishing gear. Were you able to catch many fish? In previous years DH has brought his own poles & tackle and fished right there at the Dockyard. He caught many different species of fish so he is particularly excited to try his hand at fishing a in deeper water.

We were there at the same time and agree with everything said here. In fact, I think we were the family with kids and beach toys you referenced! We came prepared!

There is a nice freshwater swimming pool that the kids really enjoyed. We did beach in the morning, then lunch, then pool in the afternoon. You have to book early. The Coco View offers a limited number of day passes and yes, it's completely worth it. Elbow Beach is a bit of a hike from the ship, but we took the bus and it was fine.

So you had a nice time at Coco Beach Resort? How was it w/ your children? Our children will be going w/ us as well and their ages are 6 & 9. I'm still a little nervous about taking the to a resort...hoping we won't get any glares for having young children there. I know the resort allows them but still a little nervous. :o

I contacted Vince to set up my day passes and this is the information he provided me. Hope this helps ;)

VAngelo@CocoReef.bm

Thank you for getting in touch with us at Coco Reef! Our day pass is $69 per person ages 12 and older. It includes a 2 course lunch, glass of beer, wine or a soft drink, use of the beach and pool facilities and towels. We have 2 small changing rooms but we do NOT have lockers to store belongings. Children under 12 are complimentary but that does not include their lunch, which can be purchased separately off the menu.

Reservations are required in advance but payment is not. The passes can be picked up and paid for at the front desk when you arrive at the Resort. Please indicate the age of the children when responding.

There are a few choices for transportation to Coco Reef. Taxi is the quickest and most direct. Costs about $45 or so from the Dockyard for 2 people. Bus will take about 50 minutes, due to stops, but the cost is $8 per person, roundtrip. You would get off the Bermuda College stop, cross the street and walk up College Road, about 5-7 minutes to Coco Reef. You could also take a ferry to Hamilton and then a taxi to Coco Reef. The ferry is about $4.50 per person to Hamilton, one way, and the taxi is about $15 on way from Hamilton.

So you had a nice time at Coco Beach Resort? How was it w/ your children? Our children will be going w/ us as well and their ages are 6 & 9. I'm still a little nervous about taking the to a resort...hoping we won't get any glares for having young children there. I know the resort allows them but still a little nervous. :o

I contacted Vince to set up my day passes and this is the information he provided me. Hope this helps ;)

VAngelo@CocoReef.bm

We did the ferry to Hamilton and then the cab. The ferry is always a nice ride. Keep in mind if you take the bus, it is a bit of a walk to the resort as it is sort of behind Bermuda College.

Don't think there is a problem with children as long as they are well behaved but that applies anywhere. Lunch for them will probably cost about $20 pp. Bermuda prices are pretty high.

Edited by dkjretired

We are hoping to also charter a catamaran or small boat while in Bermuda. Could you share the name of the company that you used, and also possibly the cost? Thank you!

We actually chartered a catamaran out of St. George. We were initially thinking of going out of Hamilton but this offered us a chance to see another part of Bermuda. We took the 9:30 ferry to St. George and the catamaran was waiting for us at the dock, which was SO convenient.

We used Ana Luna Adventures and we had a blast. For 18 people for 5 hours, it worked out to $89 per person as a base price. That does NOT include food and alcohol. They are able to arrange for lunch to be provided if you ask, but it's an additional cost. There is also 15% gratuity added on at the end to everything. For 18 of us it was about $2,500 total - catamaran, food, alcohol, gratuity, everything. Not a cheap day, but well worth it.

Let me know if I can provide any further info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One interesting feature of the sailing from Bayonne is that most of the passengers we met were local. So many strong accents from northern NJ and Staten Island, and so forth. Yankee fans everywhere. I did not don any of my Red Sox gear in public. Very different feel from a sailing from Florida, where the conversation about where you are from is unpredictable. On the Summit to Bermuda, people talk about which exit and it seems like a large group of neighbors taking a voyage together.

Steve, Do you ever sleep:)