Reflection - Handicap room, good or :-(

motherchic

We have a handicap room for our upcoming Reflection cruise.

Has anyone had experience with one?

PLEASE share it.

I read a review, that the drainage in the shower was poor. The bathroom floor was always very wet and it had a very bad mildew odor.

It helps me to have an accessible room but I certainly dont want an awful smelling wet one.

# 1024

In your experience did you find the rooms to be smelly? Or not as nice?

I have my parents booked in 1028, same ship. I got some really good tips from people here about requesting extra towels for the floor and building a dam with towels to align with the shower curtain to keep the water in. Another suggested bringing trash bags to wrap the towels in to make the dam so you don't have to deal with tons of wet towels.

We recently sailed the Summit in an accessible sky suite, not because we needed it but because of availability. I was concerned about the shower situation, but it was a non-issue for us. We kept the shower head aimed slightly towards the back shower wall and only ever had the one mat set on the floor outside the shower. We never rolled a towel or had to ask for additional.

It wasn't the Reflection, but it was one of the older ships, and we never felt like we were in an inferior room. I have glanced into HA cabins while walking the hallways of the Silhoutte and Reflection and envied the additional space. I would stop worrying and start smiling about your choice. I hope you have fun and come back and post of your experience afterwards

PLEASE share it.

I read a review, that the drainage in the shower was poor. The bathroom floor was always very wet and it had a very bad mildew odor.

It helps me to have an accessible room but I certainly dont want an awful smelling wet one.

This past February on Silhouette we were assigned an interior accessible cabin (we had booked an interior GTY). We nick named the cabin an "interior mini suite" it was HUGE! The shower was initially a little annoying but we just put down a pool town to make a little dam to prevent the water from going all over the bathroom floor. After that the cabin attendant carefully folded a towel and left a fresh one there each day.

The only other thing that could be considered different besides the size of the cabin is the door. The door is on an automatic opener and stays open for a few seconds then automatically closes. Since we don't require an accessible cabin we would never book one, but would gladly take the upgrade to one if we ever book a GTY in the future.

I have not smelled mildew in any cabin ever..,..am also booked in 1024 for next octobet....one of the hosts posted photos of reflection hc cabins last week....they look very spacious and we'll laid out...

I have found the cabins have less furniture to be able to have enough turning space...that does make them look a little less dressed up and more utilitarian..,I recently sailed on princess regal and that cabin was just as beautiful as any other...

PLEASE share it.

We will have the same accessible cabin on the Oct. 23 Reflection TA that we had last spring and it was fine, though we did have to ask for extra towels for the shower and bathroom. Consider the occasionally wet floor a minor inconvenience and enjoy the extra space.

When traveling with someone who needs the accessibility features, if it prevents even one fall, I feel it is worth the nuisance of coping with the disadvantages,

(such as drainage problems, needing to arrange extra towels on the bathroom floor, having less storage space in the bathroom, and sometimes inconveniently arranged hanging space in the closet).

Sometimes the bars in those closets are the pull-down type, designed to be accessed by someone in a wheelchair, with a lower rod that cannot be folded up out of the way and inadequate hanging space between the bars.

But despite the disadvantages for an able-bodied person, having the extra grab bars and the seat in the shower are big advantages for someone with balance problems, especially when the ship is rocking.

The emergency cord and telephone in the bathroom are also great for peace of mind in such situations.

If assigned an accessible cabin on a guarantee when traveling without a person who requires one, you may be able to exchange it for another cabin, if available.

Unfortunately, there are some cruises where the accessible cabins are given to able-bodied people who don't need them, and then those who really need them are unable to get them and end up stacking wheelchairs and walkers out in the hallways.

We have done 2 Reflection Caribbean cruises in accessible concierge cabins and are going to Norway in August on eclipse. I need to book an accessible for the grab bars. That being said, if I did not need the accessible cabin I would choose a regular cabin due to the issues discussed with water management of the roll in showers. We were in different cabins and never had any musty odors etc..make sure the cabin attendant stays up with removing towels. If you need the accessibility features than these cabins are very nice and spacious. Enjoy your trip