Very different expectations!

How did the mother/grandmother think the excursions were going to be paid for if not from her credit card on file (that you give your signature for when you are doing all of you paperwork to check in)? I can maybe see charging like $320 - $350, before thinking there might be something wrong with notifications. But to charge $1,500 before you think "Hey, this seems like a lot of crap I'm getting for my $300" and check with the front desk is completely stupid.

I think the overall review is ridiculous and possibly fake, but I can see this part happening.

If they had my credit card on file and I ordered excursions on the first day or even sooner, I'd expect those charges to go directly onto the credit card, as a completely separate additional transaction, not be deducted from the on-board credit. Especially if you knew you'd only put on $300 worth of credit and it was supposed to lock you out after that.

Edited by cadien

I've never cruised Disney and I don't have kids, but I also find it difficult to believe that it would be that hard to acquire a PBJ on a ship aimed at families with small children? Would love to hear input on this. (Although maybe it's harder because so many DCL-family children seem to have extensive nut allergies?)

My son ate PB&J at least twice a day on our last DCL cruise. He's a super picky eater, and they basically created whatever he wanted at dinner for him, regardless of what the menu listed. Most days just PB&J or else noodles with butter.

Hi Perditax

What LrgPizza says is so true. My kids went through food phases as I call them so I admit we had some weird requests. For spaghetti, DCL was more than happy to put the noodles on a plate and the sauce in a dish so my son could spoon it over the top himself. Seriously if they wanted a scoop of peanut butter on a plate they'd do that too. We never had any types of issues with DCL's service.

I think that the NCL review was much worse than the DCL review.

If the DCL review is fake it's fun to read but just fake and nothing to really care about.

If the DCL review is a real review I think that some of the complaints are valid.

I really can't believe that the food issues are correct but some other things they wrote should have bothered me but they should probably not have ruined my cruise, for example seatbelts in the transferbus. I agree that the bus should have seatbelts but I don't agree that it's impossible to make excited children sit in the bus. Most children sit when their parents tell tham to sit!

I finally had time to read the DCL review, and then I also shared it with several DCL cruisers with about 50 DCL cruises between us. Here are our thoughts:

(1) If you order excursions prior to boarding, you pay for them at the time of ordering just like on the NCL website. If you don't you have to wait until you are on ONBOARD to order, so there is no way the part about the $1500.00 appearing BEFORE she "steps foot on board" could happen.

(2) Pedialyte is readily available in the stores on board for sale - however, DCL allows you to bring in drinkable liquid - they even allow you to bring whatever alcohol you want to bring onboard - just put it in your carry on (have never tried to put it in the larger luggage, but you may even be able to do that).

(3) We have never seen any waiter not bring a child a PB&J sandwich - we have seen many many of them being brought to tables.

(4) Cabanas is a buffet line, you could easily pick up any food in the morning you want and take it to your room. I know - I have done this often.

(5) One of the people I shared with says if you read between the lines, this looks to be a teen-aged mother who is writing this review.

(6) I have personally called room service and asked for things not on the menu (a mickey bar is my favorite to order), and have never been told no - now I don't ask for out of the ordinary things, but pancakes are not out of the ordinary - escargot yes, but pancakes - no.

Just my nickels worth again....

If it's called a 'Haven', and it's not a haven from children, what's it supposed to be a haven from?

Just the Great Unwashed who can't afford it?

I gotta say this is the best post ever. I get a lot of flak on here or not worshipping the ground children walk on, I could have not said that better myself.

I gotta say this is the best post ever. I get a lot of flak on here or not worshipping the ground children walk on, I could have not said that better myself.

I agree with you. We don't have 2 legged kids, ours are 4 legged, so we don't like being around a bunch of kids running and screaming everywhere. We did a new years cruise in 2014, and it was the worst ever. Too many kids running around and their parents were just as rude. :mad: We now schedule our cruises when the kids should be in school. Much much more enjoyable. :)

I agree with you. We don't have 2 legged kids, ours are 4 legged, so we don't like being around a bunch of kids running and screaming everywhere. We did a new years cruise in 2014, and it was the worst ever. Too many kids running around and their parents were just as rude. :mad: We now schedule our cruises when the kids should be in school. Much much more enjoyable. :)

I'm the same lol. I made the mistake of booking a cruise in March last year and like you said it was kids running around being loud and annoying lol, and don't even think of saying anything to the parents or they will bite your head off lol. It's cool that you're an animal lover so am I.

Wow, that's beyond different expectations! Unfortunately, that is someone who did NO research prior to cruising. Most people love the Haven experience (have not done it so can't say).

Agree

If it's called a 'Haven', and it's not a haven from children, what's it supposed to be a haven from?

well, if it was intended to be a haven from children, then it shouldnt have a large number of "Family Villas" as part of the Haven.

Sorry. If you hate kids and can afford the Haven, you really may be happier on a premium or luxury line. Im going to make my kids behave, but for cruises I can afford the Haven, Im NOT sharing a minisuite with them again. Too cramped!

Based on the magazine ads I've seen, exactly that.

And really, NCL is the most family-centric line out there beside Disney. Not least because people with kids often don't have enough leftover for a more expensive line. You're not going to avoid them in any cabin class.

I don't have any kids and never had an issue with them being on-board any cruise ship. They are so well catered for onboard with activities, planned events and special activities.

I've had far more experience with rude and intolerable people than I have parents/kids. We were all kids once, and part of me still enjoys the waterslides, the ice cream machines, the cookies, and all the unhealthy treat foods (such as fruitloops) that some adult only lines miss on.

I've never had an issue with staying healthy at sea - with some 200odd nights onboard last year. Fruit is plentiful on most lines, vegetables always on offer and one American line also assisted me greatly last year when I had a bash at paleo.

but some other things they wrote should have bothered me but they should probably not have ruined my cruise, for example seatbelts in the transferbus. I agree that the bus should have seatbelts

Most buses actually don't have seatbelts because the seat design is made to protect you in a crash. And, specifically school buses, they have found it actually more dangerous to belt everyone in, because it makes an emergency evacuation (say a fire) with so many young children difficult. Now- on a Disney bus, parents could unbuckle their children in an emergency; but laws don't require the seatbelts, so it is an added expense to have them.