Amsterdam Airport to Rotterdam cruise port

We are taking a river cruise next summer and I am considering combining it with a seven night Norway Fjord cruise before the river cruise.

It is much easier to fly into AMS, which is where the river cruise ends, but the Norway cruise starts in Rotterdam. Is it fairly easy to get back and forth between these two points? After disembarking the Norway cruise I have two days in between and will need to get back to AMS to fly to Zurich as the river cruise starts in Basel (or would a train be easier)?

Thanks for any help!

Most cruiselines offer a shuttle from the airport to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam.

Populair also for travel from/to the airport are tinker cabs.

https://tinker.travel/

Or check this private driver, so you might include e.g. a stop in the charming town of Delft (coming or going)en route.

http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

But there also are frequent trains from the airport station to Rotterdam Centraal. http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

You need to take either a cab, tram or metro to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam.

The same for the return. Trains from Rotterdam Centraal to Amsterdam Centraal (train stop at the airport).

Be aware you have to put luggage into the train yourself, while other passengers are getting into/out of the train. No real special luggage place, apart from the space near the entrance doors. Please stay with it at all times. Of course 1st class travel gives some more comfort and try to avoid rush hours with full trains.

Easyjet is a discount airline that has flights to Basel (check their rules for luggages carefully) , while KLM and Swiss have flights to Zurich. Unless those flights are incl. in your transatlantic flights there is a charge for luggage to.

Ine,

You are always so helpful, thank you!

The distance between the two points did not look that great, just wanted to be sure that it was fairly easy, which it sounds like it is.

Is the cruise port in Rotterdam far from the train station?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

There is a direct rail service between Amsterdam and Basel, either by an overnight sleeper or day time train. The best information on the service is found at this site:

http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Amsterdam.htm#.VZ2czfnK9dw

Scroll down to the ''Amsterdam to Basel, Zurich, Geneva & Switzerland from €43...'' section.

Dermot

The Amsterdam airport, of course, sits right on top of the main train line between Amsterday and Roterdam Centraal. Buy your ticket, trains run every 15 minutes. At Rotterdam airport, my suggestion is an easy cab ride, not terrible expensive (perhaps 20 euro) or the Roterdam Centraal station sits right on top of the new Rotterdam metro...just check the map. The last stop on the iine you can catch at Roterdam central station is 3 stops away, one block from the pier terminal. A literal piece of cake.

As far as I know there are no nonstop or direct flights Rotterdam to Zurich.

Rotterdam serves just a few airports , many of them charterflights to southern Europe.

As far as I know there are no nonstop or direct flights Rotterdam to Zurich.

Rotterdam serves just a few airports , many of them charterflights to southern Europe.

Rotterdam has lots of regular flights, not only charters. In Switzerland, they only have a direct route to Geneva.

There is a stopover flight available, but to be honest i would prefer to fly out of Amsterdam.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! I see you took the Prinsendam to Northern Europe last year, stopping in France... Please see my question to you in a new thread called "Prinsendam ports" under the Ports/Europe/France forum. Anyone else, please feel free to chime in!

Sunsetbeachgal, check Tinker Travel taxi for cheap transportation between Amsterdam Schiphol airport and Rotterdam, we can highly recommend them and have used them several times. The cheapest is the Economy option.