Deck 3 Porthole Cabins on Insignia

paradiseken

Hi Folks!

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these cabins, especially for lengthy cruises. We usually book balcony cabins, but to save some money we are booked in cabin 3001 on Insignia for the 180-day world cruise starting in January, 2016. Give me your impressions. Thanks!

If you have had a balcony cabin on the R ships the "D" cabins are the same except they have a porthole

If doing the cruise in a cheaper cabin or not doing the cruise is the option

I would go for it

Better than an inside ;)

JMO

Ken, exactly the same cabin as we have one deck up, except or window is a little larger -- and we're a little closer to the middle of the ship. You will hear the anchor chain being deployed at tendering stops, or the bow thrusters when docking, but that lasts only a short time. You may also hear the occasional "bang" when the bow slaps in rough seas, but it's exactly the same noise you would hear in the theater. Which (the theater) is two decks above you, so you won't hear anything from that.

As Lyn said, it's also almost exactly the same size and layout as a balcony cabin, except your bed will be near the window and the sofa will be towards the bathroom. In veranda cabins, the bed comes first and then the sofa near the balcony door. I actually like the ocean view layout better, because there isn't much room at the foot of the bed, and the only time you have to squeeze past it is when you go to bed. In a veranda cabin, you're always passing from one side of the bed to the other.

Ken, exactly the same cabin as we have one deck up, except or window is a little larger -- and we're a little closer to the middle of the ship. You will hear the anchor chain being deployed at tendering stops, or the bow thrusters when docking, but that lasts only a short time. You may also hear the occasional "bang" when the bow slaps in rough seas, but it's exactly the same noise you would hear in the theater. Which (the theater) is two decks above you, so you won't hear anything from that.

As Lyn said, it's also almost exactly the same size and layout as a balcony cabin, except your bed will be near the window and the sofa will be towards the bathroom. In veranda cabins, the bed comes first and then the sofa near the balcony door. I actually like the ocean view layout better, because there isn't much room at the foot of the bed, and the only time you have to squeeze past it is when you go to bed. In a veranda cabin, you're always passing from one side of the bed to the other.

Thanks Don. Sounds like we will be fine on deck 3. Besides, maybe we can be first off at tendering ports. Ha! Ha!

Ken, exactly the same cabin as we have one deck up, except or window is a little larger -- and we're a little closer to the middle of the ship.

Don you are more forward on Deck 4 than Ken will be on deck 3

#3001 is behind the forward elevators

Lyn, you're correct, as usual, about Ken's cabin. It's not anywhere near as far forward as I guessed. However, we're in 4045, which is somewhat further aft.

I guess your statement confused me

"exactly the same cabin as we have one deck up, except or window is a little larger "

Yes you are in a better spot ;)

I prefer the C1 Cabins myself

Edited by LHT28

Besides, maybe we can be first off at tendering ports.

Actually, you have to up to deck 4 and then to the back of the ship to get to the tender. It doesn't show on the map, but there is a door at the back that is for personnel only.

Also, the forward elevator only goes to deck 4, then you take the stairs down to 3.

We had one of these cabins on the Nautica back in 2008 on a TA, but I don't think they have changed. We enjoyed watching the wave action at night. There is a bay window at the porthole, so it is a great spot to store all those things you pick up in port.

I would take this cabin if it was the only way I could get on a world cruise. Have a great cruise.