If You Miss Your Cruise, Does Your TA Still Get Their Commission?

ChucktownSteve

I had a cruise that I was prevented from making recently due to an American Air flight cancellation. I lost my cruise payments. Did my TA still receive their commission on the cruise since all amounts had been paid but forfeited?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I had a cruise that I was prevented from making recently due to an American Air flight cancellation. I lost my cruise payments. Did my TA still receive their commission on the cruise since all amounts had been paid but forfeited?

should of

Did you have travel insurance? If this was the fault of the air line, it would have covered your cruise cost. Insurance is always recommended for such a big purchase.

Also consider flying in a day early next time. That way if your original flight is cancelled, you have a much better chance of getting there in time even if the replacement flight is a day later. The most you will lose is one night's stay in the hotel you booked.

Why shouldn't the TA get paid? Not their fault

J.

Since you forfeited all funds for the cruise the TA should still have received their commission.

The cruise line still got paid, and so will the TA. The only party in this contract who lost money is you, not them.

Edited by SantaFeFan

J.

And just where did you see that I suggested they not get paid???? That was not the purpose of my question.

Obviously you have no knowledge regarding the question but felt compelled to add your off question opinion.

J.

And just where did you see that I suggested they not get paid???? That was not the purpose of my question.

Obviously you have no knowledge regarding the question but felt compelled to add your off question opinion.

Easy there, fella. No need to get all testy. It was a reasonable comment. Is the humidity in Charleston making you a bit cranky today? :D

Edited by sloopsailor

Did you have travel insurance? If this was the fault of the air line, it would have covered your cruise cost. Insurance is always recommended for such a big purchase.

Also consider flying in a day early next time. That way if your original flight is cancelled, you have a much better chance of getting there in time even if the replacement flight is a day later. The most you will lose is one night's stay in the hotel you booked.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I did have travel insurance. A claim was submitted with all required documentation on 5/12 with a lot of dragging their feet and no determination yet.

I was flying in a day early. American cancelled my flight and re-booked me to arrive two days later; after the cruise had sailed. American refused to answer the phone. I tried on three separate phone lines simultaneously from 2pm until after midnight. I'd be on hold for two hours then they would disconnect. I'd call right back and the recording would say they were too busy, try later and then disconnect.

My online TA representative (located in NH) claimed they were not paid commission because I didn't show up at the ship. I'm just trying to find out if they told me the truth or fed me a line of BS. Are there any TA's who would know the real answer please?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I had a situation where my dad passed 2 days before the cruise so obviously I canceled. I had insurance not from Celebrity so even though I was in the 100% penalty period I was able to recoup all my expenses.

The thing that left a sour note for me though was that I used the popular NH based on-line TA who charges their own cancellation fee. Ok I knew it when I booked so I really can't complain.

It did bother me that in effect they actually made more money because I didn't go on the cruise. In my estimation got my cancellation fee as well as the prepaid gratuities and the OBC they gave me as perks would have had refunded from the cruise line.

I did bring them up when booking a replacement cruise 1 week later and they agreed to apply 1/2 of their cancellation fee as OBC.

I will say I was impressed with Celebrity when I called Captains Club and explained the situation and that I had booked a replacement cruise a couple of weeks later that they honored my request to transfer the $100 of OBC from Celebrity from the canceled cruise to the new one as a one time gesture of good will. I took it as that a very nice gesture of good will.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Did you not try to catch the ship at the next port of call?

Yes your TA received their commission once payment was made in full. Your not making the ship would not have had an effect on their bottom line

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. That sucks

Edited by chessbriar

I did have travel insurance. A claim was submitted with all required documentation on 5/12 with a lot of dragging their feet and no determination yet.

I was flying in a day early. American cancelled my flight and re-booked me to arrive two days later; after the cruise had sailed. American refused to answer the phone. I tried on three separate phone lines simultaneously from 2pm until after midnight. I'd be on hold for two hours then they would disconnect. I'd call right back and the recording would say they were too busy, try later and then disconnect.

My online TA representative (located in NH) claimed they were not paid commission because I didn't show up at the ship. I'm just trying to find out if they told me the truth or fed me a line of BS. Are there any TA's who would know the real answer please?

That TA sucks!

You need a new TA. Sorry to say, but as a TA I have clients miss ships, cancel for medical reasons, etc, and it is MY job to help them sort out what needs to be done with flights and insurance. (Always get insurance, people, and use a good company!) A TA cannot speed along the insurance process, unfortunately, but when dealing with food companies, can always get a status report and pass that along to the client.

Oh, and even if what they told you was true (and it does sound fishy to me...) so what? Why is that your problem? You missed your flight, you didn't cancel and rebook with someone else. Then, I could understand them being mad...

Oh, and one more thing... stay away from TAs that charge cancellation fees of their own. That is just wrong.

Yes your TA received their commission once payment was made in full. Your not making the ship would not have had an effect on their bottom line

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. That sucks

Yes I looked at flying into Seattle and taking the bus to Vancouver but the flights would have cost the same as the cruise. The next port was Ketchikan and you can't get there from here in less than 15 hours by way of by way of etc.

That TA sucks!

LOL no kidding. They also poured salt into the fresh wound by charging me a cancellation fee that showed up on my credit card.

They did offer to give me an OBC in that amount on my next booking with them. Like that would ever happen!! Now I understand why they have the word "con" in their company name. :mad:

I have one more cruise booked through them but the next one is already booked with a better TA who when I had to cancel a cruise three years ago, didn't charge a fee. :)

DO we know FOR SURE TA's get their commissions still - or are we assuming?

We don't get our Captain's Club points if we don't actually sail, so I'd be curious to know for a fact that TA's do get paid still.

YOU should have at least had taxes and port fees refunded, as well as any excursions and add-ins you pre-purchased,

Edited by cle-guy

You need a new TA. Sorry to say, but as a TA I have clients miss ships, cancel for medical reasons, etc, and it is MY job to help them sort out what needs to be done with flights and insurance.

Oh, and one more thing... stay away from TAs that charge cancellation fees of their own. That is just wrong.

When my flight was cancelled, I called the TA. All they said was, I'm sorry we're a cruise only TA. I was on my own. Sorry to say I learned this lesson the hard way.

I didn't realize about the cancellation fee because it's well HIDDEN in their lengthy terms online only just before the final cruise confirmation. It's not spelled out clearly on their web site or in their confirmation email. They allude to it but don't say it.

I hope others learn from my experience and carefully consider the consequences of the TA you select. I never expected the flight cancellation and an airline who didn't even handle their in person customers well.

My TA who is one of X's top sellers, says she doesn't get commission till AFTER a sailing is complete - not once it's paid in full. Generally about a 2 week rolling period post cruise to pay out commissions.

DO we know FOR SURE TA's get their commissions still - or are we assuming?

We don't get our Captain's Club points if we don't actually sail, so I'd be curious to know for a fact that TA's do get paid still.

YOU should have at least had taxes and port fees refunded, as well as any excursions and add-ins you pre-purchased,

That's why I was asking the question that I hoped a TA could answer without speculation. The taxes/port fees were refunded by X. Nothing about the total bookings were being questioned. I was just trying to find out if Celebrity kept the TA's commission and full fare as the TA rep claimed or they were paid the commission.

I feel like I was "CON"ned

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Hate American Air. I have had issues with them. They don't seem to care diddlysquat about the customer. I would hesitate to ever use them again. :mad:

When I finally got through after midnight, I mentioned to the woman who answered that she and the other American employee answering the phones must have had a very rough day. She responded, "oh it wasn't so bad." I felt like screaming into the phone, YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THIS END OF THE LINE!!! But I miraculously keep my temper.

I did get the airfare refunded on a non refundable ticket but couldn't get to the cruise. I will NEVER book American Air and that TA again. Both were first and last time I'll book through.

I'm not sure if the op had managed to get to Ketchikan he could have boarded the cruise. The Passenger Services Act might have been in play if the cruise was round trip from Seattle or was going to Seward/Whittier. Boarding in Vancouver would have been ok, but elsewhere questionable.

Celebrity pays TA commission when final payment is made. If there is a change after it is paid out, they issue a recall. However, a client missing the ship isn't viewed as a cancellation...just a no-show. Your TA received the full commission.

My TA who is one of X's top sellers, says she doesn't get commission till AFTER a sailing is complete - not once it's paid in full. Generally about a 2 week rolling period post cruise to pay out commissions.

OK so if the client misses the cruise and the booking fee is forfeited, could you ask your TA if she gets commission after the sailing is completed or does X keep everything?

I'm not sure if the op had managed to get to Ketchikan he could have boarded the cruise. The Passenger Services Act might have been in play if the cruise was round trip from Seattle or was going to Seward/Whittier. Boarding in Vancouver would have been ok, but elsewhere questionable.

It was a Vancouver to Vancouver cruise.

Celebrity pays TA commission when final payment is made. If there is a change after it is paid out, they issue a recall. However, a client missing the ship isn't viewed as a cancellation...just a no-show. Your TA received the full commission.

My FORMER TA, who CONned me, considered the no show as a cancellation and added insult to injury by charging me their cancellation fee.