Port of Charleston - Carnival Fantasy

I have a question. I am always on these boards but usually for NCL. My sister is sailing on Carnival Fantasy on the 20th out of the Port of Charleston. They are parking at the port. What time does the parking garage open and what time can they get into the cruise terminal. I know on NCL we can be at the cruise terminal as early as 10AM.

The port at Charleston has a unique parking setup. You actually park inside of large warehouses. Due to the nature of this, they don't allow anyone in to park until the previous guests have left.

Last year, we got to the port around 12:00 and were parked and walking to the shuttle by 12:30. We were on board by 1:00.

The lines into the parking area are snaked around so there is plenty of room to line up. As you go through, they check paper work then further in they take your luggage, and finally direct you into the warehouse to park.

A shuttle will take you from the warehouse right up to the terminal.

This is reversed when you get back.

You grab your luggage, go through customs then line up to get back on a shuttle. The shuttle has a trailer behind it for your luggage. They drop you back off inside the warehouse.

Happy Cruising!

We arrived at 11:00. Went straight through the winding area to get paperwork checked and drop off luggage, and got a great parking spot close to where the shuttle comes. Took the shuttle to the terminal. Had a VERY long line for security (they only have 3 x-ray machines, I think it was). Once through security, though, there was a short line for check in (it seemed that they had enough check in guests to keep up with the people getting through security). Quickly had our picture taken (it didn't come out well at all :( ), and went right on the ship. We were eating lunch sometime between 12 and 12:30.

A couple of notes. We've been recently out of Charleston. Security is very thorough. We had to remove even iPads from our carry on before screening. So many had their carryons searched manually! Our knees set off alarms, so did belts. Lots of wanding. Pretty slow process. Maybe, it's better now. This was last month.

If you have a handicap tag or hang tag, with owner in vehicle, free parking.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

What is the earliest we should arrive? 10:30 or 11:00?

Generally you can drop off checked luggage around 10:30 but cannot get in line til around 11am or 11:15 for parking. Usually you cannot park til around noonish as ALL parked cars from the previous cruise have to leave the warehouse prior to your cruise being allowed to park. Last May (2014) we got in line for parking at 11am, had some mixed drinks in a thermos, we were sharing the ride with another couple (she was handicapped so was free parking) and we chatted til noon... We were primed for embarkation!

Sometimes people who do not park are already allowed on the ship by the time you park and go thru security/getting sign and sail card, sometimes not. If you have bought FTTF it might not get you on first but will get you into your cabin sooner and will get you off the ship faster (boo, let's not talk about that!)

"The lines into the parking area are snaked around so there is plenty of room to line up. As you go through, they check paper work then further in they take your luggage, and finally direct you into the warehouse to park."

Fantastic news! Thanks. One additional question: how much walking is involved once you get off the trolley?

1984 Emerald RC W. Caribbean

1990 Norwegian Sky

10/06/2000 Victory Bahamas

08/06/2002 Fantasy Nassau

12/19/2004 Victory W. Caribbean

12/23/2005 Majesty RC E. Caribbean

09/23/2006 Glory Exotic W. Caribbean

08/14/2008 Sensation Nassau

11/17/2011 Fascination Bahamas

11/30/2013 Fascination Bahamas

08/10/2014 Sensation Bahamas

01/12/2015 Fascination Bahamas

04/17/2015 Valor Exotic S. Caribbean

06/13/2015 Valor Exotic W. Caribbean

07/16/2015 Fantasy Bahamas

10/04/2015 Splendor New England, Canada

10/14/2015 Glory Journey S. Caribbean

02/06/2016 Ecstasy E. Caribbean

Edited by milololo

Fantastic news! Thanks. One additional question: how much walking is involved once you get off the trolley?

The shuttle drops you at the entrance to the terminal/port. You walk in and you are at security. Once thru that you are directed towards lines for check-in depending on status (red/gold -FTTF - PLat/Diamond or Suites)... then if early holding til ship is cleared.

The shuttle drops you at the entrance to the terminal/port. You walk in and you are at security. Once thru that you are directed towards lines for check-in depending on status (red/gold -FTTF - PLat/Diamond or Suites)... then if early holding til ship is cleared.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was wondering if they accept out of state handicap placards for free parking. That would be a great savings.

I'm driving my 87 year old mother and she is handicap, but we are from IL.

In SC they now have a picture of the person on the handicap placard; in IL the placard has the birth month and year of the handicap person.

Does anyone know?

I was wondering if they accept out of state handicap placards for free parking. That would be a great savings.

I'm driving my 87 year old mother and she is handicap, but we are from IL.

In SC they now have a picture of the person on the handicap placard; in IL the placard has the birth month and year of the handicap person.

Does anyone know?

Last May it was accepted from any state, here is from the website as of 7/18/15:

Complimentary storage is provided at no fee for vehicles displaying a valid handicap placard or license plate with ID.

http://www.port-of-charleston.com/cruises/passengers/vehicle_storage.asp

I would think you your placard will work but as a precaution I would call:

For more information on Charleston's cruise business, call (843) 958-8298 or e-mail cruises@scspa.com.

Bob