Altitude Sickness in Cusco, Peru

"stay in Cuzco and extra day before going to Machu Picchu"....no, it will be better after landing in Cuzco to immediately go to the Sacred Valley (Ollytaytambo area) which is lower altitude and save Cuzco for the end of your trip is what most people say who have done it that way.

Also, altitude sickness can affect anyone, any age, any ability...and don't take it lightly!

My doctor advised me not to go due to high blood pressure and heart arrhythmia that can be a problem at very high altitude...combined with knee replacements, I chose not to go with my family.

Even our son (40) had problems with the altitude despite using the Diamox for several days as prescribed prior.

Wish I could have gone, but they came back with loads of photos and videos to enjoy!

In 2007, I flew to Lima, then on to Cuzco to acclimate for about 2 days prior to beginning the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. Sadly, by the end of Day 1 in Cuzco, I started becoming quite ill with altitude sickness. The B&B I stayed at gave me oxygen, the tea, etc. but nothing much helped. I felt worse and worse the next day and evening. The trekking company came to pick me up for the hike at 4:30 the next morning but I was so sick I could not go. I was devastated. I had flown all the way from California for this!

The B&B owners called for the doctor that morning. He arrived quickly and gave me some shot of something and told me to rest for the day and I should feel better soon. And did I ever!! I only wished I had seen him the day before. I might not have missed my trek!

I rested that day and then the next morning the owners of the B&B took me to the train station and I took the train to Machu Picchu. I absolutely enjoyed seeing it - was so enthralled and awed at the place! I spent the day there and came back to Cuzco on the last train that night. I left Cuzco the next day to return home.

I am happy to report that I am going back to Cuzco this coming January, about 2 weeks before my South American/Antarctica cruise on the Zaandam from Santiago, Chile. I plan to do the same trek as I had signed up for before, but this time I am going to arrive in Cuzco a full 5 days ahead of time, I will seek out the medical assistance ahead of time, and should be in shape and acclimated by the time my trek date arrives. I am so excited and blessed to be able to get a second chance at this trek! It's been a nagging regret of mine for 8 years!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

We had one person out of our entire group who got sick, right away at dinner on our trip last fall.

Don't forget Machu Pichu is much lower in altitude so you are not at this higher altitude for very long. Overnight, but you will want to see things in Cuzco so pay attention if you think this might be a problem. Hate to see you miss this excursion because it is a wonderful one. Often just one day taking it easy will acclimate you. Talk to your doctor.

It was the lack of air pressure regulation in the little plane going and coming that got me and others, who have trouble "popping" their ears. That was very painful and kept us fogged out for some time afterwards.

Edited by OlsSalt

As has been mentioned in this thread, Cuzco is at a much higher altitude than M.P......IMO, people who chose to get off the flight in Cuzco and spend the first or more nights there, rather than taking transportation to the Sacred Valley, are much more susceptible to altitude sickness. It is far better to save the visit to Cuzco and surroundings until after doing M.P.

By the way, the aircraft used by most companies flying between Lima and Cuzco are modern 737's or Airbuses and the service is excellent.

As has been mentioned in this thread, Cuzco is at a much higher altitude than M.P......IMO, people who chose to get off the flight in Cuzco and spend the first or more nights there, rather than taking transportation to the Sacred Valley, are much more susceptible to altitude sickness. It is far better to save the visit to Cuzco and surroundings until after doing M.P.

By the way, the aircraft used by most companies flying between Lima and Cuzco are modern 737's or Airbuses and the service is excellent.

This is good advice and exactly what i did 5 years ago with my (then) 77 year old mother.

Fly to Cusco and immediately go to the Sacred Valley. I stayed in Urubamba at the Kyuchi Rumi. The hotel hired a driver for us each day and he drove us around to the other sites in the Sacred Valley. Pisac, Ollantaytombo, Salinas de Maras, Chinchero. It was great because these other sites have beautiful ruins, but since the tourists are rushing to Machu Picchu, these sites were uncrowded.

The Sacred Valley is definately worth it, I think we will be going back in a year or two.

My wife and I are planning on taking a Holland America cruise that ends in Lima, Peru. I would to take an extra 4-6 days too explore Cusco, the Sacred Valley and especially Mucha Picchu.

My wife is really concerned about altitude sickness. How much of a problem is this? What percentage of visitors to Cusco experience this problem.

Do the prescription medications help along with the local coco tea and rest?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Do get your doctor or a travel clinic to prescribe the Diamox or other appropriate prescription as a precaution. We did this on our January trip there and were so glad we did. Of the 90 on the tour group, I'd say half had some sort of altitude sickness. Two had symptoms that mimicked heart problems and one ended up in the hospital. The other had been chewing the coca leaves non-stop and began to have rapid heartbeat. Since he was a heart patient already, this was a concern. Very few, it seemed, had been to a travel clinic for advice. Even more important is the dietary advice they gave. Most important to remember is NO SALADS. We managed to avoid the intestinal troubles that many had on our trip by following the clinic advice to eat only foods that were piping hot. I ate a lot of bread and desserts...good excuse, lol. This applies even to the four-five star hotels. It's the water that things are washed in that causes problems.

S.Dakota Cruiser....

All very good information......Since you are going to disembark your cruise in Lima (Callao) I would suggest that you not limit yourself to 4 or 5 days to truly visit MP and area.

As you are aware, most tours from the ship take you from Callao (port) to Lima Airport for a flight to Cuzco. The 'group' spends two (2) nights at a hotel in Cuzco. (I would suggest that the cruise line's tour uses Cuzco, as a base, because of the availability of 4 and 5 star hotels there). The first day of the tour, after arriving into Cuzco calls for a free afternoon, takes the group to a restaurant for dinner and show. The altitude of Cuzco is 11,152 feet. (Experts suggest sleeping at lower altitudes for a few days to become acclimatized). The second day of the tour, normally, starts with an early departure by train from a station in the Sacred Valley (Ollyantamba is at 9,160 feet and Urubamba at 9,420 feet) to Aguas Callientes(6,690 feet). On arrival a bus will take the group to the entrance to Machu Picchu (7,970 feet) for a tour. In the late afternoon, the tour makes its way back to Cuzco, by the same route, for a hotel overnight stay. The last day (3rd) is a tour of Cuzco and various sites in the area, the group takes a flight back to Lima, then bus back to the ship at Callao. A great tour to see this absolutely magnificent area, if your time is very limited and one's stamina can take it.

Take your time and enjoy it. Happy and safe travels.

I've done quite a lot of high altitude mountaineering (altitudes over 20, 000 feet) over the last 25 years and would basically agree with most of the info posted here. I'd like to add a couple of comments. I've also done the Inca Trail trek and would strongly recommend a visit to Cuzco and Machu Pichu.

Mild altitude sickness is very common and you should expect to feel some effects at elevations over 10, 000 feet. Unless you are medically fragile, this will most likely take the form of headaches, fatigue or slight nausea. These symptoms typically pass within a couple of days and shouldn't stop you from seeing one of the great wonders of the world. At the elevations of Cuzco and Machu Pichu, you really shouldn't expect any major problems. Many American ski resorts are that high.

I've used Diamox at higher altitudes, but it never did much for me. Some people swear by it.

Anybody can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical fitness. Some people are remarkably immune to it and others get very ill at 10, 000 feet. I've learned from personal experience that it can affect you differently from trip to trip. I've been over 20, 000 feet several times with no problems, but have gotten quite ill at lower elevations, despite taking measures to acclimatize gradually. Earlier this year, I went on a trip to the Galapagos and had a layover day in Quito. I arrived from San Diego and on a whim went on a hike up the large volcano (Pichincha) nearby. Pichincha is over 15, 000 feet high and I expected to experience significant altitude problems. I climbed it without any symptoms, despite arriving from sea level the night before. You never know.

One caveat. Altitude sickness can occur in a severe form of pulmonary or cerebral edema. Those are deadly and if you suspect there's any chance you are experiencing them, descend immediately. The symptoms are the same, but much more severe.

If you have any doubt, check with your Doctor. But I hope you don't miss the trip.

If you have the time and energy, there's a nice climb up Huaynu Pichu (the prominent small peak) at Machu Pichu that gives you a fabulous view over the entire site. There's a trail to the top, although it's somewhat eroded. Have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just in Machu Picchu this May. We arrived in Cusco and immediately descended to the Sacred Valley to acclimate (altitude 9100 feet). We stayed a night in Ollantaytambo, then took the train to Aguas Calientes for another night stay. We then went on to Machu Picchu (altitude 7900 feet) for the day and then back to Ollantaytambo for the night and then two days in Cusco. We took Diamox, (you need to start this medication 24 hours prior to ascending). We drank Coca Tea, with a little sugar added, at every opportunity. None of us had any problems with altitude sickness, except for shortness of breath. Our trip to Ollantaytambo, with its huge Incan Ruins, the entire Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Cusco is one of the highlights of our travels.

We were touring by ourselves (no tour group). If you take a tour group to Machu Picchu, try to take one that visits Cusco last. Cusco (altitude 11,200 feet) is better toured last when you body has acclimated.

If you have time, visit Puno (Lake Titicaca) and Arequipa. Peru is such a wonderful country.

• 6 months later...