How much extra do you spend on food on Royal Caribbean

How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)  

399 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)

So since you put up the poll, what do you feel you have learned from it?

Well, the sample size is far too small to draw any concrete conclusions from, but even amongst the limited CC responses I am surprised that nearly 60% spend money on food. I would have thought the number to be significantly lower.

Well, the sample size is far too small to draw any concrete conclusions from, but even amongst the limited CC responses I am surprised that nearly 60% spend money on food. I would have thought the number to be significantly lower.

I look at it the other way.....with all the hype and the few people that do all their eating at specialty restaurants -- almost 58% spend less than $30 per person at specialty restaurants.

That says that traditional dining still has a very important place in the cruise vacation, no matter how people may want to spin it that Royal is trying to do away with traditional dining.

I have said it before, we only go to Izumi once on a cruise on a ship that has an Izumi. So for many of our cruises we spent very, very little extra on food....sometimes not even a JR shake.

I remember the first cruise we went on with friends that had a specialty restaurant....and the comment was 'why pay extra for food, when it is included in the cruise fare'....and that sentiment is still very true.

I look at it the other way.....with all the hype and the few people that do all their eating at specialty restaurants -- almost 58% spend less than $30 per person at specialty restaurants.

That says that traditional dining still has a very important place in the cruise vacation, no matter how people may want to spin it that Royal is trying to do away with traditional dining.

I have said it before, we only go to Izumi once on a cruise on a ship that has an Izumi. So for many of our cruises we spent very, very little extra on food....sometimes not even a JR shake.

I remember the first cruise we went on with friends that had a specialty restaurant....and the comment was 'why pay extra for food, when it is included in the cruise fare'....and that sentiment is still very true.

And I look at it this way, 43% of passengers are not paying anything extra and that's the market RCI will be going after. I'm sure RCI monitor what guests spend and so can get a far more representative % of passengers that don't spend any extra on a cruise.

This is where the potential for additional revenue is and so they will do their level best to entice people to spend more on board in additional for fee eateries. How they'll do that will be interesting.

Is it by reducing staff in the MDR so that people pay for a venue where service is more attentive?

Reduce the quantity and quality of MDR food and beverages so guests try the speciality venues?

Increase the number of additional for fee venues to tempt guests?

Promote dining packages to encourage use of the speciality restaurants?

And I look at it this way, 43% of passengers are not paying anything extra and that's the market RCI will be going after. I'm sure RCI monitor what guests spend and so can get a far more representative % of passengers that don't spend any extra on a cruise.

This is where the potential for additional revenue is and so they will do their level best to entice people to spend more on board in additional for fee eateries. How they'll do that will be interesting.

Is it by reducing staff in the MDR so that people pay for a venue where service is more attentive?

Reduce the quantity and quality of MDR food and beverages so guests try the speciality venues?

Companies struggle all the time with how to 'move their customers' in a certain direction.

The problem with the options that I highlighted in red is that those could drive customers to just stop booking on Royal if service and quality fall below a totally acceptable level and unless they try a different cruise line and see it no better there, will not cruise on Royal again.

The idea of adding more specialty for fee venues, will further tax the staff that is already possibly very thin.

Promote dining packages more encouraging cruisers to try them, would to me be the best way.....if people like it more, they might go more....maybe not on the cruise they are currently on, but on a future cruise.

Time will tell.

But the 15% that are voting for $30 or less could really be for just specialty coffees, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, cupcakes, etc, that are a minimal snack bill and really not spending money on dining. A $30 limit really does not indicate participating in any pay dining venues other than the possibility of Johnny Rockets. The survey would seem to indicate that 58% do not do specialty dining.

But the 15% that are voting for $30 or less could really be for just specialty coffees, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, cupcakes, etc, that are a minimal snack bill and really not spending money on dining. A $30 limit really does not indicate participating in any pay dining venues other than the possibility of Johnny Rockets. The survey would seem to indicate that 58% do not do specialty dining.

This is what I think will pertain to us this cruise. We've done the specialty sit down dinners before and I don't have a real interest anymore. I'm looking to stay in shorts and flip flops this cruise and will try Izumi because I like sushi and Sabor seems casual munchies and drinks. I don't even know if we will spend the $31-$60 that I voted. More than likely, not. I've made many a lunch and dinner of ham and cheese croissants from Cafe Promenade washed down in the pub with beer.

It really depends for us. If we're on a ship with JR's or Rita's, then we typically have one meal in each venue. We haven't been onboard with a Sabor yet, but I imagine we would try that as well.

We have tried Portofino's, Chops, and Giovanni's in the past. They were fine. I just personally don't feel the additional $25-$35 per person is worth the enhanced experience/menu. We also don't like to spend a lot of time eating in the dining room so I get impatient in the Specialty Dining rooms. That said, I have enjoyed it much more when we are dining with friends or others we have met onboard.

We eat out nearly every meal at home. Living in the midwest, restaurants are not that expensive. To be honest, we eat at some very nice places and for food only (not including drinks), it is rare to spend over $25-$30 a plate. To pay that for less onboard isn't the value I'm used to. If we lived on the East or West coast, I'm sure my opinion would change as it is often much more expensive.

I'm sure we'll continue to try a specialty occasionally, but it will be more a spur of the moment thing or when we are traveling with friends.

For what it's worth, we typically only dine once or twice in the MDR most cruises as well. We eat at WJ more than anywhere else. It's easier and definitely quicker.

It really depends for us. If we're on a ship with JR's or Rita's, then we typically have one meal in each venue. We haven't been onboard with a Sabor yet, but I imagine we would try that as well.

We have tried Portofino's, Chops, and Giovanni's in the past. They were fine. I just personally don't feel the additional $25-$35 per person is worth the enhanced experience/menu. We also don't like to spend a lot of time eating in the dining room so I get impatient in the Specialty Dining rooms. That said, I have enjoyed it much more when we are dining with friends or others we have met onboard.

We eat out nearly every meal at home. Living in the midwest, restaurants are not that expensive. To be honest, we eat at some very nice places and for food only (not including drinks), it is rare to spend over $25-$30 a plate. To pay that for less onboard isn't the value I'm used to. If we lived on the East or West coast, I'm sure my opinion would change as it is often much more expensive.

I'm sure we'll continue to try a specialty occasionally, but it will be more a spur of the moment thing or when we are traveling with friends.

For what it's worth, we typically only dine once or twice in the MDR most cruises as well. We eat at WJ more than anywhere else. It's easier and definitely quicker.

I find it interesting your perspective that you don't feel you get good value for the additional cost of Portofino's, Chops or Giovanni's. I read so often how what they deliver in terms of food and service is well worth the money.

I personally see no reason to eat at a specialty restaurant when they are offering the same type of food in the MDR and it should be of good quality, even if not from a 'world famous chef's kitchen' (IMO). I am not saying they advertise the specialty restaurants as being 'world famous chef kitchens' -- but the food in the MDR should be good enough for a nice restaurant to serve.

The only time we might eat at JR is for breakfast, simply because it is a cute diner style and I can get my eggs over easy. But I would not eat at Rita's. The one time we tried JR on our Navigator cruise, we could not get our hamburgers made the way we like them, which is medium rare or pink on the inside. I go to Mexican restaurants at home and having it on a cruise is of no interest -- I think of most Mexican restaurants as a slightly better type of 'fast food' but not much more. But that is me.

I do enjoy the JR shake and the BOGO offer generally gets us to buy it once on a 7 day cruise....just becomes extra calories to burn off, but the shake is good.

Edited by Paulette3028

A $30 lower limit, per person, means someone could have dined at:

Izumi

Sabor

Portofino

Johnny Rockets

Solarium Bistro

Samba Grill

Giovanni's Table

Vintage / Tapas

Jamies Italian

Taste of Tuscany / The Mexican dinners on Majesty (Special to Majesty)

Dinner at Seaview Cafe on Radiance-Class (they charge for a hamburger dinner).

I am sure there are some others I may be missing. Don't forget, dining at any of those for dinner also means forgoing an MDR meal you've already paid for in your base fare. I don't think that people that voted in the $1 - 30 bracket are only JR's, ice cream, or some other type snack. It could be any one of a wide variety of specialty restaurants. In fact, MOST specialty dining is under $30 per person, per visit.

$0. The MDR on Navigator was wonderful this June, and we didn't feel the need to do a speciality restaurant. We took bottles of wine to the maitre d and it was chilled and ready for us every night.

We've only done the Quantum so far. With so many different dining venues included at no extra charge, we only did one up charge restaurant on our 8 night transatlantic. Even then, we only got to visit each included dining room once, plus a second visit to each of our favorites. For that cruise we chose Chops as our up charge dining experience. It was a super stand out and we'll definitely try it again sometime.

When we do our Mediterranean cruise next year we plan to try Wonderland. We weren't sure what to think of it when we did the Quantum, so didn't book. Having seen it and spoken with others who dined there, I now think everyone ought to give it a go once if they can.

We've got a super short three night on Majesty coming up this fall. We're not planning any specialty dining for that cruise just on account of it being so short. We figure one regular dinner in the MDR, one Formal dinner in the MDR, and then we might just give in and do the Windjammer once for dinner. At most, we might work in a lunch at Johnny Rockets.

The no extra fee-food is good. We don't need anything else.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

I think they are already trying all 4 of your suggestions . effect on me so far has been to give NCL and Carnival a try for my next couple and see what the service level is like for less money.

I think they are already trying all 4 of your suggestions . effect on me so far has been to give NCL and Carnival a try for my next couple and see what the service level is like for less money.

Well our 1st sailing on Carnival immediately following a RCI sailing this May proved interesting. IMHO the food and service in the MDR on Carnival was better than RCI.

I voted $1 to $30, but it is closer to $0 than $30

My experiences in the speciality restaurants have been a bit underwhelming. I will occasionally hit up Johnny Rockets.

Our next cruise (explore) I'm considering trying a Johnny rockets milkshake.

But is this the only place where you can get a milkshake on the cruise?

Sendt fra min GT-I9295 med Tapatalk

Edited by 2time_cruiser

Just a simple poll to see how much additional money people are spending on upcharge specialty dining food / experiences onboard Royal Caribbean ships.

We end up spending more because I cant take the Main Dining Room with poor service and just so-so food.

I refuse to eat in the main dining room, so all i do is specialty, people don't know what they are missing.

LOL, Looks more like you don´t know what you are missing. While I´ve never spent a Cent and voted with Zero, this does not mean I´ve never eaten in a specialty restaurant.

I usually get invited at least once per cruise. However to me it´s not worth paying extra for it.

I must be on the wrong cruises though. Whenever I´ve been to a specialty restaurant it was far from busy, whenever I walk past one and take a peek it seems mostly empty. On most Cruises they Keep Advertising the specialty Dining and on my last cruise you couldn´t have breakfast, lunch or dinner without someone Interrupt you to sell you one of the specialty Restaurants.

Really it mostly sounds desperate.

But of course my sample size is way too small compared to all ships sailing every day.

We eat all our meals in the MDR and find the food to be very good and just can't justify spending extra $$ for specialty dining. The only exception was the breakfast brunch we had on the Grandeur in Chops which was excellent.

Theresa

Depends on the ship. We spent nothing extra on food on XoS but we're booked to dine at Wonderland on Anthem because it's such a unique experience. Since we're traveling with my parents for my birthday on Allure, I'm sure we'll do some sort of premium dining because my mom really likes going to the specialty restaurants. Every trip is different.