When is a sale not a sale?

WmFCoyote

I placed 2 cruises on hold yesterday (July 8th). The first one was for a TA (Spanish Passage) on April 22,2016. We reserved a Category DA on the Dolphin deck. The per person price was $1954 plus insurance etc. Now with the Sip and sale the per person price has gone to $2299. This is an increase of $345 or $23 per day.

The second booking (also on hold until July 11th) was for a 28 day cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti / Samoa on October 20, 2016. On this cruise we reserved a Category BD on Caribe Deck. The per person rate (before any additions) was $4424. With the sip and sail sale the price is now $5599. This is an increase of $1175 per person of $41.96 per day.

Is this a sale? Increase the prices and give away something of dubious value? We do drink but not $83.93 per day or even $46.

If this were a business in the US, I would be complaining to the state Attorney General and the BBB.

This "Sale" is a rip off.:mad::mad:

Well, all they say is that it is their biggest "offer" ever. Hey do put the word sale there, but as they say buyer beware.....I have no doubt that the price will come down as time marches on. I booked a TA back in March of 2014 for a September 2015 sailing. Since then I have enjoyed taking two major price reductions.

All you can do is book what you want and watch....

As for being a rip off....A rip off is in the eyes of the beholder. I have bought many things over the year only to find out that the price dropped a few days later. While it is odd that Princess would raise prices for a sale, it is not crazy. I have no doubt that people will book at those prices not knowing what the prices was a few days before.

As for you, if you see a great price, grab it. DOn't wait around even for a day to see what will happen.....

Edited by AKman2495

Well, all they say is that it is their biggest "offer" ever. Hey do put the word sale there, but as they say buyer beware.....I have no doubt that the price will come down as time marches on. I booked a TA back in March of 2014 for a September 2015 sailing. Since then I have enjoyed taking two major price reductions.

All you can do is book what you want and watch....

I received an email 2 weeks ago (drop and go fares) targeting TA's and few other Med cruises for this Sept. Mine (TA) in Nov is sky high. I am hoping for lower prices around 45 days out and another email. There is a lot of availability. :cool:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I placed 2 cruises on hold yesterday (July 8th). The first one was for a TA (Spanish Passage) on April 22,2016. We reserved a Category DA on the Dolphin deck. The per person price was $1954 plus insurance etc. Now with the Sip and sale the per person price has gone to $2299. This is an increase of $345 or $23 per day.

The second booking (also on hold until July 11th) was for a 28 day cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti / Samoa on October 20, 2016. On this cruise we reserved a Category BD on Caribe Deck. The per person rate (before any additions) was $4424. With the sip and sail sale the price is now $5599. This is an increase of $1175 per person of $41.96 per day.

Is this a sale? Increase the prices and give away something of dubious value? We do drink but not $83.93 per day or even $46.

If this were a business in the US, I would be complaining to the state Attorney General and the BBB.

This "Sale" is a rip off.:mad::mad:

I do understand the way you feel. I had the same issues with Royal Caribbean regarding several cruises and their "sale". In this case with Princess, it actually turned out to be a great deal for us; on a 14 day Regal for Nov 2016 we saved $120 on the cruise fare and got the $500 OBC for not taking the drink package. We're pretty happy at the moment but can see the other side of it also.

Here's what happens.. People book cruises in anticipation of the offer. This means the yield system will increase the prices due to perceived increase in demand.

As people adjust bookings after the offer, the prices will normalize