Viking Rinda docked at le Pecq RER A line

aspen36

I booked in December, but was considering this cruise since last August and it was clear to me all along that this boat was docked outside of Paris. There weren't any neon lights stating this anywhere but when I did a little probing on the matter, it was clear to me.

It was clear to me for a lot longer as well since it has been listed in the docking location FAQ for a long time now, but I don't blame people for not spotting that.

At least with the current version of the website there really is no excuse for misunderstanding.

The answer I received which is posted further up on this thread. Is Viking will run one possibly two shuttles (11:30 a, 2:30 p) into Paris. And one return at 5:30 pm from Paris. They are docked so far outside Paris that they are beyond the metro system, you have to walk 19 minutes, then board a metro car (20 minutess I think) to get to Paris. Not so good for passengers with mobility issues me thinks. They absolutley knew this when they booked you and failed to mention it up front. I DO think I will get in touch with the nice young man who booked me and give him an earful. I have extensive background in group travel and shizz happens; it is part of the business. BUT you inform the passengers, you compensate them, and you make it right. NOT sending this!

Oh I agree and we heard from pissed off Viking passengers last summer when Viking was saying it was a temporary docking location. Last year only the older smaller boats docked in town and the longboats docked in the boonies :(

• 2 weeks later...
We, my wife and I, were in Paris last fall.

The transit(METRO) ticket machine at did not accept our USA credit card.

Also, it did not accept Euro bills (paper money).

We had to go back to our hotel at La Défense, to get Euro coins to enter into the ticket machine.

Should we get coins in advance, or is this trip going to be different?

Generally ticket kiosks only accept cc with chips in most cases. US cards are currently in the process of transitioning to chip cards. Anyone traveling can always call and request a chip card now, they should send you one. Otherwise you should get when your card renews.

Generally ticket kiosks only accept cc with chips in most cases. US cards are currently in the process of transitioning to chip cards. Anyone traveling can always call and request a chip card now, they should send you one. Otherwise you should get when your card renews.

We now have a chip in both, our CC(VISA) and Debit Card (Master Card).

However, both are "USA Chip and Signature Cards" with 4 digit PIN numbers

(Some Euro machines take 5 digit numbers).Also warned that any USA CC transactions done with a PIN, will constitute a Cash Advance Fee.

I'll try the Debit Card. Worse thing that could happen: machine eats the card(seen it happen to a couple in Barcelona).

It's just that if we are in a hurry, I don't want to fool around with getting coins.

Maybe I'll try to buy tickets a day in advance, when we have more time.:)

Also warned that any USA CC transactions done with a PIN, will constitute a Cash Advance Fee.

Hi $hip$hape,

Though I have heard this warning as well, I have done exactly this - repeatedly - for years. I have never been charged for a cash advance... :)

I use my US-issued, chip&sign MC and Amex in train/metro kiosks multiple times per year. It works about 90% of the time. At least 75% of the time I have to enter my PIN, less commonly a few years ago and almost universally now.

Bottom line, remember your PIN and give it a try. The Paris Metro machines have always worked with my CC. They also have an online tutorial, showing you how to use their machines. Their website is ratp.fr. Enjoy!

Edited by jpalbny

Hi $hip$hape,

Though I have heard this warning as well, I have done exactly this - repeatedly - for years. I have never been charged for a cash advance... :)

I use my US-issued, chip&sign MC and Amex in train/metro kiosks multiple times per year. It works about 90% of the time. At least 75% of the time I have to enter my PIN, less commonly a few years ago and almost universally now.

Bottom line, remember your PIN and give it a try. The Paris Metro machines have always worked with my CC. They also have an online tutorial, showing you how to use their machines. Their website is ratp.fr. Enjoy!

Thank You!

I appreciate your information.

• 3 weeks later...
I think if you search for some recent Paris/Viking threads other cruisers got some more believable answers regarding when they will run trips into and back to the boat. I don't remember but it was a couple trips out and a Last bus back.

Certainly not every 15, hopefully some recent Viking passengers just returned can clarify for you as to how they are making this distant dock location work for everyone.

Villa girl you do know that just the shuttle into town from the dock area can take 45 min to over an hour depending on crazy Paris traffic. That alone is the reason to favor the train which runs on a regular basis.

On our May, 2016 Rinda cruise, we used the RER A and Paris Metro system on Day 7 of the cruise.

http://www.paris-metro-map.info/paris-rer-a-map/

The trains, not the shuttles, run about every 15 minutes.

From the Rinda, it's a 20 minute walk to the RER-A Le Vesinet - Le Pecq Station,

then the train takes about 20 minutes to get to Central Paris.

However things happen..., On Day 2, we took the convenient Viking Shuttle into Paris, thinking we would take the train back. The shuttle took longer than expected(over an hour) since there was an expected transit strike, and lots of commuters were driving instead of taking the train. We were warned, for that day, not to count on the train for transportation back to the boat, so we stayed with the organized group, and went back on the later Viking Rinda shuttle.

Edited by $hip$hape

We were in Paris last month. Used our US credit card (does not have a chip) for the Metro without a problem.

Thanks.

We used our Bank of America MasterCard credit card (with a chip) and had no problem.

The tickets spit out of the machine, even before asking for a PIN number(small purchase so not necessary?).

Edited by $hip$hape

Unfortunately, until the USA catches up with the reset of the world and routinely issues Chip & PIN cards the experience will remain variable with some cards working and others not or some transaction values working and other not etc.

For safety just carry a few coins for these low value transactions, just in case ...

Attn: Rinda & Kadlin summer 2016 cruisers: (early June 2016) According to the news big rains in France flood the Seine. I hear that Rouen is really bad. Is anyone else following this news? I am wondering if the river water levels will be so high to prevent cruising. Anyone else following this?

Has anyone tried using the RER A to get in and out of Paris to try and tour on your own?

It looks like it might be less than a mile walk to the RER A stop at Saint-Germain-en-Laye but without knowing where the boat docks I'm not sure if it is walkable or not.

WE will be in Le Pecq in a few weeks.

Saint-Germain-en-Laye is the first stop for the RER A -1 .

The second stop - Le Vesinet / Le Pecq seems shorter, and easier as a walk from Le Pecq, just across the bridge.

http://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/a_jo_mlv.pdf

Let me know if this PDF (above) works, and is understandable.:)

I'll try to explain again.:)

WE used the RER A out of the Le Vesinet / Le Pecq Station, which was about a 16 to 20 minute walk from the Viking docking site.(Check with Google maps)

The first RER A stop is at Saint-Germain-en-Laye. However, Saint Germain is uphill from the River, and so more effort, but considerable on your return to the boat,

since the River will be a downhill walk from the Saint Germain RER A Station.)

You may buy a ticket at the Station kiosk. It will cost you $4.91 USD one way for these Paris, from Zone 4, tickets.

With my Credit Card, my wife and I, bought 4 tickets. The charge was $19.64.

With these Zone 4 tickets, you not only get to Paris, but may transfer any of the Metros within the Paris city limits, as long as you don't leave/exit the system,

so you should check the Paris Metro in advance for the proper connecting stations.

Related to this issue is buying a carnet(10 tickets) for the Metro.

Metro tickets are good only within Paris city limits (Zone 1 and 2).

You cannot use a Metro ticket to get back to Le Pecq.