Cruistour Rail to Whittier

twinkle toes

Curious whether anyone can tell me if Princess offers any cruisetours where the travel from/to Whittier is ALL on rail and not on a motorcoach?

There are the Faster the to Wildnerness, cruise tours that depart Whittier and go directly to Denali. Is that what you are asking about? Not sure if they are done in reverse, as I personally don't care for pre cruise tours, so I never research them.

We did a cruise tour two weeks ago, but our train was between Anchorage and Talkeetna. FYI - The people who left on the train in Whittier had to depart at 6 am - do you want get up at 4:30 in the morning to be on the train that early?

Edited by mek

If you're asking about travel for the entire cruise tour the answer is NO. They ALL offer combinations between rail and motorcoach. Often the longest stretch is the rail but not always.

Edited by born2cruize

Curious whether anyone can tell me if Princess offers any cruisetours where the travel from/to Whittier is ALL on rail and not on a motorcoach?

In the past there have been. You need to take a look at the itineraries. The train is going to be more used, on the longer cruisetours, so start there.

Skip the "cruise tour" and book your own trip with Alaska Railraod: http://alaskarailroad.com/travel/Travelers/tabid/155/Default.aspx

I think that would be great, but honestly I wouldn't want to drag all of that unnecessary cruise baggage on an independent land tour with the train. If I ever go back to Alaska, I will take the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks and then rent a car and make all of the stops along the way ending up in Anchorage.

I think that would be great, but honestly I wouldn't want to drag all of that unnecessary cruise baggage on an independent land tour with the train. If I ever go back to Alaska, I will take the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks and then rent a car and make all of the stops along the way ending up in Anchorage.

I find, the "luggage" frequently mentioned. Key is to pack light, some can't. :) I find it amazing, in trip reports- about cruise tours- this is a mention of a "highlight", which I can't understand. :)

I've traveled all over Alaska for extended time frames, using the train several times, and my focus is never about my luggage transfers, nor would it ever dictate a trip.

You might or might not continue with the train, Fairbanks car rental idea. (wait until you take a look at limited availability and high costs)

Even if you take the train independent, bags are checked and there is little "hauling" needed. Shuttles and cabs are available right at the depots, and cabs and shuttles usually offer assistance. You would have just as much "hauling" if you rented a car. Plenty of alternatives to consider.

I find, the "luggage" frequently mentioned. Key is to pack light, some can't. :) I find it amazing, in trip reports- about cruise tours- this is a mention of a "highlight", which I can't understand. :)

I've traveled all over Alaska for extended time frames, using the train several times, and my focus is never about my luggage transfers, nor would it ever dictate a trip.

You might or might not continue with the train, Fairbanks car rental idea. (wait until you take a look at limited availability and high costs)

Even if you take the train independent, bags are checked and there is little "hauling" needed. Shuttles and cabs are available right at the depots, and cabs and shuttles usually offer assistance. You would have just as much "hauling" if you rented a car. Plenty of alternatives to consider.

No we can't pack light - lol. We drag our own pillows along with us when traveling, so that alone takes up a considerable amount of space. :D I loved not having to do anything with my bags on our recent cruise tour. I'm sure the car rentals in Fairbanks are expensive, but so is everything in Alaska. It could be done in reverse - fly to Fairbanks, take train to Anchorage, drive back to Fairbanks. We rented a car 6 years ago at the airport in Anchorage and I don't recall it being that expensive, although I realize the one way drop off is probably not cheap.