Pensioner thrown off Royal Caribbean

babs135

I think there was far more to this than a "misunderstanding". Considering that the Security Officer and the Staff Captain interviewed the man when they returned to their cabin, I don't think there is a mariner afloat today, particularly a senior officer on a ship where the official language is English, that doesn't understand the nautical term "jumping ship". I suspect that they had complained to a large number of crew, who had reported the complaints to senior staff, and the couple may have made statements threatening to the crew, or that the crew found abusive, and the Captain decided to put them off. Since this was apparently referred to Corporate for guidance, I think it was a case of disturbance to other passengers.

You're spot on. Most passenger complaints get resolved far lower down the chain. It had to be something far worse than reported in the news article for the Captain and shore side legal to get involved. As for security being posted outside their cabin the night before they were put off, security wouldn't be there without threats of physical harm to someone or something. These people usually have other things to do than watch over "pensioners".

Edited by BlueRiband

I think there was far more to this than a "misunderstanding". Considering that the Security Officer and the Staff Captain interviewed the man when they returned to their cabin, I don't think there is a mariner afloat today, particularly a senior officer on a ship where the official language is English, that doesn't understand the nautical term "jumping ship". I suspect that they had complained to a large number of crew, who had reported the complaints to senior staff, and the couple may have made statements threatening to the crew, or that the crew found abusive, and the Captain decided to put them off. Since this was apparently referred to Corporate for guidance, I think it was a case of disturbance to other passengers.

I have to agree with you. Without being there and with only reading the story, which happens to be this man's version. I think there was probably way more to this than him making a casual comment about jumping ship. If it had been a casual comment, maybe they would have taken it as "oh he's going to leave the ship at the next port of call. But I'm guessing it was far more than that. I'm sure they were yelling at guest services and probably causing a scene and probably wouldn't let it go.

Also, they're not going to get an apology. They got their cruise fare refunded along with their travel expenses. They really should be happy with that. If you get kicked off a cruise for bad behavior they really don't owe you anything...

One more thing...because I'm not too PC to say it...looking at the picture of the couple in this link, that dude looks like one grumpy man. Just sayn'. ;)

http://www.msn.com/en-au/travel/news/pensioner-kicked-off-cruise-for-jump-ship-comment/ar-AAcDTNJ

At the bottom of the article on your link the man is quoted as saying "All I wanted was an apology". I guess this means that he is willing to return the cruise refund and travel expenses the company gave him if they apologize. Yeah, right! :rolleyes: