Broke my Ankle and leave four weeks from today!

jfried8

If I downgrade, will I get the money difference back? Also, I agree. If I stay home I'll just be laying on my couch. I also don't know about returning back to work. This is a workers comp claim as it happened on the job and my vacation is smack in the middle of my likely Leave of absence. Anyone from the HR world?

Are you off work because your doctor won't let you return or your employer wont accommodate the doctors restrictions? You may not know yet but it's an important distinction.

Some employers won't let you return until you are at full duty capacity. If this is the case, that's perfect for taking a vacation. Your restrictions don't have to be that restrictive in which case you won't violate those restrictions and potentially avoid a lot of issues.

Discuss these issues with the doctor. How he/she writes the restrictions will (or could be) be important. If they are so restrictive that you would violate them simply by going on cruise your employer could cause a fuss. Also, the restrictions will change over time. Today, it's like you would be taken off work regardless. In future visits, closer to sail date, those restrictions can be "less" restrictive and you may have no issues with what you can do/can't do on the cruise.

It's easy to navigate if you know what you're doing or create some headaches if you don't.

Your work comp carrier may also have an issue paying temporary total disability (TTD) the time period of your cruise as you wouldn't be available for work during your cruise. This also can be easily addressed as long as you do it correctly.

Edited by fuddrules

Doesn't sound like I'll need surgery but there's a slight chance. I just want to make sure I'll be okay to get around with a wheelchair, scooter or crutches and I'll be fine.

My kids have taught me not to doubt the power of positive thinking when it comes to broken bones. DD broke a bone in her foot landing a jump wrong in dance on May 3, 2010, she was 13 at the time. The doctor told her she would miss her Nationals at the end of June. She started crying and he gave in and told her he would put a screw in it and she might be able to dance at Nationals. She had surgery on May 10 to put the screw in. 4 weeks later he gave her permission to dance, the physical therapist said he didn't even need to see her because she blew him away by standing on her toes, and a week later she was tap dancing at Nationals.

My DS fractured a bone in his ankle 2 years ago playing intermural soccer at his university. He wore the boot for 2 weeks and was back on the soccer field on the 3rd. Think positive and follow doctors orders. Besides what could be more relaxing than putting your feet up on a cruise ship and letting everyone else wait on you :D. On the bright side when my daughter sprained her ankle the week before Spring Break this year the doctor said that Sprains took longer to heal than breaks....The family she went to Florida with over Spring Break had a football coach dad who ditched her crutches before they left, she was dancing the week after Spring Break and competing 2 weeks later. Again think positive healing thoughts.

My issue is I'm a General Manager for a large retail store...meaning on my feet all day. That's my only concern.

Then you should have a good idea of how your company has handled work comp injuries in the past and how people get transitioned back to work.

It's possible, given your position, your company would like you to return in any capacity and manage the best you can sitting at a desk and phone??

I don't know your companies philosophy but don't be shocked or offended if they would like for you to return to work in some capacity, within your restrictions, prior to what you feel is in your best interest.

Edited by fuddrules

I'm all for returning in a knee scooter or something. The greater issue is I hurt my right foot and I'm not sure when I'll drive again.

Which is a legitimate concern. Your doctor may have a restriction of no driving. It's then up to your employer on how to accommodate that restriction, if they can.

Sending good thoughts your way, hoping you will be able to make your cruise OK. I broke my ankle 3 yrs. ago 5 weeks before a cruise. The ortho put in a plate and 7 screws. I wore the black boot for 3 weeks, then was full wt. bearing. I went on the cruise and did well. The only thing I didn't do was go in the water, per the Dr's recommendation, to be sure the incision line was fully healed.

I tried the crutches, but found I much preferred a Rollator. They are very easy to manage and have a seat to sit on if you need to.

If I stay home I'll just be laying on my couch. I also don't know about returning back to work. This is a workers comp claim as it happened on the job and my vacation is smack in the middle of my likely Leave of absence. Anyone from the HR world?

I only worked as an HR assistant, so I don't know anything except the data entry I did, but:

you definitely need to talk with them about how this will effect things.

Going on vacation while out of injury leave is generally highly frowned upon (and can be fireable, and cause for loss of claim), but maybe because this was pre-scheduled, it is okay?

But if you are being paid short-term disability, or some other injury based leave, and are doing anything other than recuperating, you could be in trouble. If you take vacation/PTO/unpaid as planned, it probably isn't a problem.

Then you should have a good idea of how your company has handled work comp injuries in the past and how people get transitioned back to work.

It's possible, given your position, your company would like you to return in any capacity and manage the best you can sitting at a desk and phone??

I don't know your companies philosophy but don't be shocked or offended if they would like for you to return to work in some capacity, within your restrictions, prior to what you feel is in your best interest.

yes as stated above make sure you know the company worker's comp rules and regulations. a lot of times the worker's comp claims are run from an outside company in which you would have a liaison assigned to you.

i worked as an employee for the city of baltimore. i have been hurt on the job several times and have dealt with worker's comp. each place of employment i would imagine would be different on how the rules apply. with the city i had to go to a city doctor bi-weekly which was an all day event every time almost like they were punishing you and trying to inconvenience you so much you would go back to work hurt.

but as far as going on vacation. working for the city if you were on straight medical and could not go to work you had to stay in the house and not leave except to go to the doctors, grocery store, or church. and when you left the house you had to call work and they would log it in a medical book and when you got home you had to call back so they could log it in the book. if you got caught out of the house(and they did check) you were in trouble. but if you could return to work in a light duty status which meant office work answering phones etc. then you could do what ever you wanted go on vacation, go to a bar etc. as long as you weren't doing anything that would contradict what your claim was. so just make sure you aren't violating the rules before you go on vacation. do you have a worker's comp lawyer? if so they should be able to find this stuff out for you and make the calls for you.

... use my insurance.

Sorry to hear you were injured. Same thing happened to me. I ended up canceling as my doctor advised against going.

Please note that if you do end up filing a claim on your insurance, the insurance company will want to know if and when your doctor advised you against sailing. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the reason is b/c they don't want people to drag their feet on deciding, b/c this will affect your refundable amt, which is based on how many days out you are canceling. Carnival actually gave me back 25%, and the insurance company paid 75%.

29 to 15 days ---- Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less ----- 100% of Total Fare

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I cruised last year 5 weeks post-break (ankle fracture, no surgery). I had a regular plaster cast for 4 weeks. I was then in a removable AirCast and used a cane for balance. I did not get off the ship because walking distances was out of the question. Thankfully it was only a 5 day cruise because I was bored to tears. I did have more swelling than I had previously experienced and it could have been from flying or the salty food or some other factor. It was doable but not the vacation I had planned.

Last cruise we were on a lady was using the knee scooter for a broken ankle. I used an ankle scooter when I broke my ankle not on a cruise tho. This scooter was such a live saver for me. I loved it over crutches and chair.

If you find that you'll "just" need crutches by the time you sail - you can request the cruise line's wheelchair assistance with embarkation and disembarkation.

--------------------------------------

Copied from CCL website FAQ:

All guests that require assistance must enter the embarkation lobby where an embarkation representative can assist you. You will be served on a first-come/first-serve basis.

Carnival Cruise Lines does not offer curbside assistance for embarking and debarking the ship.----------------------------------

It makes a huge difference not having to manage the long ramps getting on and off. Ports of call aren't so bad because elevators take you down to the deck where the gang plank is.

Broke my ankle 5 days before my Victory cruise last August. Did not need surgery, did not get a wheelchair. Cast, different shoes and some hobbling. Took it easy, but had an aft balcony and was able to elevate. Without surgery, you should be ok 4 weeks out. No way was I going to let my ankle keep me off the cruise, and yes, I did have insurance. I did take excursions which required very little walking, though.

We did buy insurance and weren't really cruising for the ports...it's a Florida and Bahamas run...eh. I really don't want to cancel the cruise. Is it feasible to go under the current conditions?

I broke my ankle years ago when I was about 8 years old. Started with a full leg cast for whatever reason and ended up with a walking cast (a rubber "knob" was placed on the bottom of the cast). Got around great.

Edited by Cushing985

Looks like we are going to cancel our cruise. We bought cruise cash and want to know if that can get refunded. We did buy insurance too.

Sorry to hear this, but at least you will be able to reschedule when you are 100% and can fully enjoy a cruise. Glad to hear you have insurance, we never sail without it as you never know what may happen! I would think your cruise cash should be refundable or at the least, applied to the next cruise.

Edited by montekat

Looks like we are going to cancel our cruise. We bought cruise cash and want to know if that can get refunded. We did buy insurance too.

Sorry you have to cancel, but you'll probably enjoy your cruise later when you're fully recovered. As mentioned by someone else earlier, be sure to notify the insurance company right away--today hopefully. When I had to make a claim for a medical-related cancellation, I called my insurance company and practically the first question they asked when when I became aware of the condition and when my doctor said I couldn't cruise. There is a very short window for notification.

Yes, you should get your cruise cash back.

What if my doctor says I can cruise?

I doubt the insurancee would approve your claim if the doctor says you can cruise. If you have "cancel for any reason" coverage through Carnival, you would get 75% of your cruise fare as a credit for future travel.

Everyone's situation is different but years ago I broke my left ankle really bad but after a couple of plates, 6 screws, and a number of staples they had it all patched back up. They didn't put me in a cast because they said there was enough hardware inside to be more stable than what a cast on the outside would do.

I don't think I would have wanted to cruise that soon, but the doctor cleared me for travel and work after 2 weeks. I was on crutches for several weeks before I could go load bearing again. I did have to fly during that time but once in the terminal the airline got me a wheelchair and assisted boarding. It wasn't too bad but I wouldn't want someone to need to push me around very long at a time. One of those knee scooters they have now would have been nice. Hopefully your fracture won't keep you down long.