Arriving in Heathrow, what to do first?

boca7

If we have a transfer to pick us up at LHR, arriving terminal 3 where would the driver be waiting for us?

Thanks

When you finish collecting your luggage, you'll leave that area through a customs door, most typically the "Nothing to Declare" door. This will put you into the arrival hall. That's where you'll typically find lots and lots of drivers, each one with a name written on an arrival sign. If your car service uses a different meet up point, I'm confident they'll tell you when you complete the arrangements.

That's where you'll typically find lots and lots of drivers, each one with a name written on an arrival sign. If your car service uses a different meet up point, I'm confident they'll tell you when you complete the arrangements.
And one other thing: That area is a zoo at peak arrival time. Looking for your name amongst name signs being held up by a couple of hundred drivers is no fun.

Some car services give you the chance to specify a point in the terminal where the driver should meet you, so as to stay out of the main scrum and reduce this problem. If anyone wants a suggestion, I have some.

And one other thing: That area is a zoo at peak arrival time. Looking for your name amongst name signs being held up by a couple of hundred drivers is no fun.

Some car services give you the chance to specify a point in the terminal where the driver should meet you, so as to stay out of the main scrum and reduce this problem. If anyone wants a suggestion, I have some.

I debated mentioning the stress of the meet up moment. The densest collection of drivers with signs will be along the low divider. However, there will be clusters of other sign holders scattered about the general area.

We were told to meet our driver at the Information Desk. Those instructions sounded simple enough, but I couldn't find an Information Desk even after asking. (We were told it was to the right upon exiting.) I found a wall to the right a short distance away that had the words Information on it, but nothing I'd call a desk.

I parked my blind husband at the clock near the Information wall and went to re-scan the signs. No luck, so I phoned the car company. Then, the real fun and games began.

The company rep insisted the driver was in the hall and at the Information Desk. I said I couldn't spot the Information Desk -- but I could see three other places and I reeled them off to the dispatcher. I asked the rep to pick one of those places and to ask the driver to please come there. He selected the news store (Smiths????) Still holding the phone, I walked four feet to have an unimpeded view of Smiths. No sign and no one glancing around for passengers. The dispatcher insisted the driver was at the news store. I repeated I was standing in front of the news store but there was no driver with any sign. Still, on the phone, I started walking toward my husband. Finally, I spotted the driver walking toward the news store and I intercepted him.

For what it's worth, this same company provided transportation from our London hotel to the Southampton pier. They were prompt -- 20 minutes early in fact -- with none of the hook-up issues we experienced at Heathrow.

After that experience, I'm wondering whether using a car service is really that much better than getting a taxi for the ride into London. (This was our third trip to London in as many years. The first time, we used the car service arranged by our hotel. The second time, London followed time in Normandy and Paris so we didn't arrive at Heathrow. And now, this experience.)

After that experience, I'm wondering whether using a car service is really that much better than getting a taxi for the ride into London. (This was our third trip to London in as many years. The first time, we used the car service arranged by our hotel. The second time, London followed time in Normandy and Paris so we didn't arrive at Heathrow. And now, this experience.)

It would be more expensive getting a taxi rather than pre-booking a car service, but I agree with you it's much easier - just go out and grab the next taxi in the queue. Although I have to admit that it's stories like yours that keep me using the Heathrow Express into Central London - just so much easier and more comfortable.

It would be more expensive getting a taxi rather than pre-booking a car service, but I agree with you it's much easier - just go out and grab the next taxi in the queue. Although I have to admit that it's stories like yours that keep me using the Heathrow Express into Central London - just so much easier and more comfortable.

WE also had a similar experience although I think our driver was just late and they didn't want to admit it. We arrived on time, had a fairly long delay in immigration, but were right on my estimated time that I had specified with the car service. We too looked for information desk and found one small cabinet--not large enough for a desk that had information posted, but that's not where we finally found our driver. I had wandered all over the area looking for him and he finally showed up about 25 minutes late. We were not happy campers about the delay. Once we met the driver, the service into London was fine and without major delays. Having done a car service, I'm now inclined to go back to taking the tube into London or Heathrow Express--much quicker than driving in.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to buy the Oyster card in Heathrow and use it for tube to get to London ?

Hi, we ordered our Visitors Oyster cards and had them delivered prior to our trip! So much easier once you get there to just "swipe and go" rather than stand in the very long line-up!

https://account.tfl.gov.uk/oyster?App=8ead5cf4-4624-4389-b90c-b1fd1937bf1f&returnURL=https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/security_check