no tie or jacket.

morecambe13

Your question is answered, direct from the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33510550

Five places that still demand ties, and five that ban them

2. Formal dinners on a P&O Cruise. A lounge suit and tie is the minimum, but "James Bond style dinner jackets bring a real sense of occasion to the evening", adds the company.

So Lewis Hamilton was turned away from Wimbledon for not wearing a tie or jacket.

could this happen on a P&O cruise at a formal night Dinner ?.what would happen if you don't follow the dress code. David.

You get over the side and told never to darken the gangway ever again,and as has been stated there are bars and MDR that you will not be allied in.

You get over the side and told never to darken the gangway ever again,and as has been stated there are bars and MDR that you will not be allied in.

Non of you are answering the question. Which is, would P&O turn you away for not following the dress code.in all my cruises I have never seen it happen.

Non of you are answering the question. Which is, would P&O turn you away for not following the dress code.in all my cruises I have never seen it happen.

I guess none of us can answer that as we are not p & O staff. But I have, in the past , seen people refused entry to the dining room for wearing jeans, and for not wearing a jacket (at least!) and tie on formal nights. I have also seen a Maitre D lend gentlemen ties on more than one occasion.

I would like to think they would politely ask the passenger to change into suitable attire. I listened to a debate on the radio this afternoon about the subject, and it was generally felt that people who don't follow a dress code (whatever that dress code is) are in effect showing disrespect to their fellow guests/diners/spectators who have followed it. P &O - and other cruise lines - have a dress code and ask passengers to respect other guests by following it IF they want to frequent certain parts of the ship on formal nights. This includes of course a daytime dress code of no swimsuits / bare chests in the dining areas - including the buffet . I would be particularly annoyed if staff did not intervene if this aspect of the dress code was flouted.

As an aside, I think it was right that Lewis Hamilton was refused entry - and I am a Hamilton fan!

Edited by Mysticalmother

My OH and self have just returned from a P and O cruise. We enjoy dressing up for the formal evenings. We like to eat at 2nd sitting and were quite surprised when asked to leave certain bars by 6pm. We hadn't yet got ready for dinner, but we're enjoying a pre dinner drink. This happened to us more than once. We have never encountered it on other cruise lies.

We have just returned from a Princess Fly Cruise (rome to Istanbul) on which we had passengers from many countries - not many British. The formal dress code was adhered to by quite a lot but still a minority. We did adhere but were very outnumbered in the bars and too a lesser degree in the MDR. There was no attempt to enforce the dress code anywhere and there were some in shorts in the MDR that were not challenged at all. My wife queried this situation with the Cruise Director who said that it was due to mix of nationalities but we were a bit disappointed by the situation as it was a bit odd in the bars being dressed up alongside others in jeans, shorts and trainers.

In my experience on P&O it is pretty well enforced but not in the Theatre or the bars to such a degree as the MDR.

Edited by bee-ess

The answer is yes people have been turned away from the MDR for not having a jacket and tie on formal nights.

We have been asked to leave Andersons on Oriana at 18.00 when having a drink before going up to change. Very nice about it

I guess none of us can answer that as we are not p & O staff. But I have, in the past , seen people refused entry to the dining room for wearing jeans, and for not wearing a jacket (at least!) and tie on formal nights. I have also seen a Maitre D lend gentlemen ties on more than one occasion.

I would like to think they would politely ask the passenger to change into suitable attire. I listened to a debate on the radio this afternoon about the subject, and it was generally felt that people who don't follow a dress code (whatever that dress code is) are in effect showing disrespect to their fellow guests/diners/spectators who have followed it. P &O - and other cruise lines - have a dress code and ask passengers to respect other guests by following it IF they want to frequent certain parts of the ship on formal nights. This includes of course a daytime dress code of no swimsuits / bare chests in the dining areas - including the buffet . I would be particularly annoyed if staff did not intervene if this aspect of the dress code was flouted.

As an aside, I think it was right that Lewis Hamilton was refused entry - and I am a Hamilton fan!

Do you remember the Harry Enfield sketch on this sort of thing?

If you turn up on a formal night for a P&O dinner in the main dining room you have got to wear a jacket and tie David.

Ohh yes, if Lewis Hamilton turned up at the Saffron Restaurant on Ventura I would say "Oi Hamilton; you may have won 32 Grands Prix during a career where you have been F1 world champion twice but when you enter Saffron on Captains Gala Dinner Night you have got to wear a formal jacket and tie - get back to your cabin and put it on, this is P&O Lewis."

Exactly.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Wouldn't have been so bad if the daft twit hadn't tweeted a pic of the Royal Box Rules together with his invite. He was also offered a jacket and tie but turned them down and went home. I'm a huge f1 fan but really...

A friend of mine enjoys cruising with P&O, and he does not have a jacket, tie, dinner jacket, etc.

So on black tie & semi formal nights he eats in the buffet.... which doesn't bother him in the slightest :o

Which is absolutely fine.

He is obviously one of the good guys, who respects the dress code.

We were behind a man queuing for the MDR on a P & O ship in shirt sleeves on formal night and the Maitre D took him to one side and had a word in his ear....lo and behold someone appeared with a jacket for him.

Most people know the rules, I think, and it is disrespectful to other passengers to ignore them. If they don't like the formality of P &O then they should cruise with a less formal cruiseline....in my opinion of course!:rolleyes:

It has happened to me that I once tried to enter the restaurant on an informal night, without a jacket, and the man on the door extremely politely pointed out that jackets were required. But when I pointed out that I was only there to let the waiters and our table companions know we weren't coming to dinner, he was happy to let me in. (And out again!).

Yes, you will not be allowed to enter the main dining rooms on formal night if you are not wearing a dinner jacket or dark suit and tie, actually i have seen men wearing grey suits!. Also, on the 4 ships with jacket required nights the same rules apply but no tie is required. The jacket required nights are being dropped next summer.

You can use the buffet dressed in evening casual and some of the cover-charge restaurants. Surprisingly on the 'more casual' Azura and Ventura both cover charge restaurants follow the dress code but the more traditional Aurora and Arcadia have cover charge restaurants that are evening casual on formal nights :confused:

We have been asked to leave Andersons on Oriana at 18.00 when having a drink before going up to change. Very nice about it

A couple of things amused me when this occurred to me.

- 6pm is not 'evening'.

- It was only the lack of a jacket that bothered them, not the jeans or walking boots.

Anyway easily solved by popping back to the cabin to pick up a jacket, to put over the arm of the chair.

So Lewis Hamilton was turned away from Wimbledon for not wearing a tie or jacket.

could this happen on a P&O cruise at a formal night Dinner ?.what would happen if you don't follow the dress code. David.

Just returned from a 2 night on Britannia and I can say for sure the dress code was not enforced. On a formal night there were male passengers in the Crows Nest Bar after 6pm in vest tops! All over the ship including the MDR the dress code wasd not enforced on this cruise

Just returned from a 2 night on Britannia and I can say for sure the dress code was not enforced. On a formal night there were male passengers in the Crows Nest Bar after 6pm in vest tops! All over the ship including the MDR the dress code wasd not enforced on this cruise

formal dress code only applies to restaurants on Britannia so the Crows Nest is evening casual. The staff told me that management have told them not to challenge anyone about dress so that accounts for the vest tops.

Dinner companions on Aurora last week have reported some amazing cabin deals on Britannia, maybe they are not filling the ship ;)

My little bit is that no one has to choose to cruise with P&O (or attend Wimbledon) where the dress code is very well publicised and indeed desired by the majority.

If they do opt for it, they don't have to frequent the MDR on smart or formal nights (or Wimbledon's Royal Box) or the venues where the dress code is applied.

It's all about choice, so they should expect to be gently turned away if wearing the inappropiate dress in respect of the people who have chosen this option, if for no other reason.

My little bit is that no one has to choose to cruise with P&O (or attend Wimbledon) where the dress code is very well publicised and indeed desired by the majority.

If they do opt for it, they don't have to frequent the MDR on smart or formal nights (or Wimbledon's Royal Box) or the venues where the dress code is applied.

It's all about choice, so they should expect to be gently turned away if wearing the inappropiate dress in respect of the people who have chosen this option, if for no other reason.

Spot on Scriv. Excellent point; well made.

Absolutely right.

Another in total agreement. Also as has already been mentioned it would be extremely rude and discourteous to your fellow passengers not to adhere to the dress code and expect to be allowed entrance to the MDR or most bars.

I have on occasion been sat in the crows nest enjoying a drink after returning to the ship after a day ashore and still in casual wear and have totally forgotten the time. I have then been very politely reminded of the time by one of the stewards and that if I wished to be served after 6pm I would need to change. It was all done very nicely and no offence taken whatsoever.

The answer is yes people have been turned away from the MDR for not having a jacket and tie on formal nights.

Think I prefer that to the anarchy described on other lines. First sitting is 6:30 so it is probably nice to come to have a pre-dinner drink and see everyone in their finery.

Most people want to dress up anyway, certainly for my wife and daughter it's a treat, and those that don't want to know about it and use the buffet, room service or whatever.

Different lines, different approaches.