no tie or jacket.

morecambe13

formal dress code only applies to restaurants on Britannia so the Crows Nest is evening casual. The staff told me that management have told them not to challenge anyone about dress so that accounts for the vest tops.

Dinner companions on Aurora last week have reported some amazing cabin deals on Britannia, maybe they are not filling the ship ;)

Where are these "great deals" because since we did the maiden cruise we have been looking to book another cruise on Britannia and we havent seen any "amazing cabin deals".

Where are these "great deals" because since we did the maiden cruise we have been looking to book another cruise on Britannia and we havent seen any "amazing cabin deals".

Don't know and don't care as I am unlikely to cruise on Britannia again, anyway nobody at the table demanded precise details and proof ;)

Another in total agreement. Also as has already been mentioned it would be extremely rude and discourteous to your fellow passengers not to adhere to the dress code and expect to be allowed entrance to the MDR or most bars.

I have on occasion been sat in the crows nest enjoying a drink after returning to the ship after a day ashore and still in casual wear and have totally forgotten the time. I have then been very politely reminded of the time by one of the stewards and that if I wished to be served after 6pm I would need to change. It was all done very nicely and no offence taken whatsoever.

I wasn't aware of this rule!

If you were still in shorts at 8pm, maybe so but 6pm?

Another in total agreement. Also as has already been mentioned it would be extremely rude and discourteous to your fellow passengers not to adhere to the dress code and expect to be allowed entrance to the MDR or most bars.

And would be equally discourteous to your fellow passengers to not understand that it is only particular bars and restaurants have a dress code.

I noticed a certain "sniffiness" if someone had chosen dress casually but also chose to, for example, use Tiffany's on Oriana which is not subject to the code.

And would be equally discourteous to your fellow passengers to not understand that it is only particular bars and restaurants have a dress code.

I noticed a certain "sniffiness" if someone had chosen dress casually but also chose to, for example, use Tiffany's on Oriana which is not subject to the code.

Yes it certainly would be rude of anyone to Tut TuT in disapproval if it was one of those areas where casual dress was acceptable. That is why there are bars and eateries where relaxed dress is always acceptable because most of us have a night when we really can't be bothered with all the fuss and just want a simple bite to eat or a quiet drink.

For that matter it would be extremely rude to TuT TuT in any circumstance even if you do disapprove.

I wasn't aware of this rule!

If you were still in shorts at 8pm, maybe so but 6pm?

There's normally notices posted at the entrances around 5 or 5.30 each evening but if you are already sat inside you will not have noticed them.

It's probably because those on first sitting for dinner will often start arriving in their finery for pre dinner drinks around that time.

Edited by AchileLauro

The issue was that people hadn't checked it was an 'off-limits' area, they had just assumed.

Everyone else in bar dressed up - check

Bar with cocktail pianist - check

Therefore must be an ''off-limits' area.

So lots of pointed looking when someone has the temerity to sit down when they are wearing a shirt and jeans. And lots of muttering when the bar staff actually served them...

There's normally notices posted at the entrances around 5 or 5.30 each evening but if you are already sat inside you will not have noticed them.

It's probably because those on first sitting for dinner will often start arriving in their finery for pre dinner drinks around that time.

5 or 5:30 isn't evening, it is the afternoon.

Evening doesn't start until at least 7:30.

It's a debatable point as to when "the evening" starts onboard - 6:30pm is when first sitting starts.

But does that mean 6:30 is when the dress code for the evening starts?

I will state that in my opinion, the dress code for the evening starts when the signs around the ship, which state that evenings dress code and time, are the definitive article. If they state 6:30pm then I'll take my time finishing my wine before heading to the cabin to get ready; if they state 6:00 pm then I'll be out of the Crow's Nest by 5:59:58 ;) and stroll the prom for half an hour or so before showing & getting ready.

VP

I take it that you are a late riser and the morning doesn't start until after 9 a.m. then if your evening doesn't start until 7.30 p.m.:)

Morning starts at 6:15 am, otherwise I will miss the train to work.

Evening doesn't start until 7.30 pm, as by then I (and the thousands of others leaving London) might be on the train home.

As for P&O's dress signs, they don't state a time, and I noticed that they were in place from around 4:30 onwards.

Fat lot of good putting information on the website, unless you provide free Internet access on the ship.

If the signs don't say, then it is quite reasonable to apply a normal definition of evening.

don't you check the P&O site before you cruise ;)

So on formal nights those people who are on second sitting at 8.30 can't enter selected venues after say 5.30 in non formal gear.

Does this mean that those on first sitting 6.30 can't enter these venues in non formal gear after 3.30?

Just a thought,

Rick.

Fat lot of good putting information on the website, unless you provide free Internet access on the ship.

If the signs don't say, then it is quite reasonable to apply a normal definition of evening.

You can access the P&O website for free on board. It's the rest of the internet that you get charged a fortune to browse very slowly!!

Your definition of evening differs slightly from what most folk define evening as including many dictionaries. The typical definition normally mentions after 6 p.m.

Not that it matters because its just a matter of following the posted notices at the entrances to some on-board venues. When these notices are actually placed or even if they are put out at all seems to vary slightly from ship to ship.

In normal parlance, I would regard evening as being after dinner. My Concise Oxford Dictionary defines it as "close of day, esp. from sunset to bedtime". I do not believe you can say that it starts at a particular time.