Tours in Bar Harbor

shen61

Looking into smaller/private tours in Bar Harbor. I see Oli's trolleys and At You Service taxis mentioned a lot. What are opinions of either tour?

I see that At your service has tours from 1 to 5 hours--if this one how many hours would you recommend ?

Thanks--we are traveling the first week of October!!

I enjoyed Oli's tour, but people are very slow getting on and off, so there ends up being a lot of time wasted always waiting for that last person to board. I get annoyed with that when people wander off and waste everyones time. Unfortunately I guess that is the nature of a group tour and there is always someone who has no regard for others.

I enjoyed Oli's tour, but people are very slow getting on and off, so there ends up being a lot of time wasted always waiting for that last person to board. I get annoyed with that when people wander off and waste everyones time. Unfortunately I guess that is the nature of a group tour and there is always someone who has no regard for others.

I just booked Oli's today for our cruise in September. What you describe is always aggravating, but what can you do? Not much. I will try to pack my patience -- looks like I might need it. I booked the 2.5 hour tour that starts at 10:00 a.m. I hope I didn't book too early. It says we are in Bar Harbor from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I thought that would give us time to have lunch after the tour and also some time to do some shopping.

Edited by antmaril

That timing should be fine. The only thing I noticed there seems to be a lot foggy days reported. When we were there was it was extremely foggy in the morning so we were fortunate to be on the afternoon tour. Stewman's right by Oli's pickup spot was a great place to grab lunch. One of the best chowders I have had!

Edited by trophy_23

I just booked Oli's today for our cruise in September. What you describe is always aggravating, but what can you do? Not much. I will try to pack my patience -- looks like I might need it. I booked the 2.5 hour tour that starts at 10:00 a.m. I hope I didn't book too early. It says we are in Bar Harbor from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I thought that would give us time to have lunch after the tour and also some time to do some shopping.

Just be aware that Ollie's gives you a taste of Acadia. Stops like Thunder Hole are really not that interesting unless you hit the tide coming in, just right, then it is VERY interesting. Ollie's can't time the tour to hit it right, so you will mainly see water splashing thru a hole in the rock.

Some one should really open a rent a car center in Bar Harbor. They would make a fortune. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

I tried to book At Your Service taxi for Sept and it was booked till the afternoon, too late for us to get back for departure. Unfortunately it is the port on our cruise where there is another big ship arrives before us. Even our ship tour, we are wait listed for the morning tour.

Is there a public transit option of getting to Acadia? I looked into Ollie's tour but you're basically sitting on the tram and getting off a few times for pictures...I'd rather do some hiking.

In 2011 we booked At Your Service for a 4 hour tour. Our hours in Bar Harbor were 7am-2:30pm, so we met at 7:30am. This is basically the tour we took--look at the description for the 4 hour tour:

http://www.islandwebinc.com/~ride/tours.html We still had plenty of time to walk around Bar Harbor and go into interesting stores.

I thought the tour was very good and we were able to stop where we wanted to and stay as long as we wanted to. The driver was very interesting and had lived in Bar Harbor her whole life and was a retired school teacher. She looked like she came out of central casting for Bar Harbor woman! She had a SUV so there was plenty of room for the four of us.

We are also taking Olie's in September. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good lobster restaurant within walking distance of the ship. Thanks

As I mentioned above, we ate at Stewman's which is right beside where Oli's picks up. There are many restaurants within easy walking distance of the tender dock.

There are free shuttle buses from village green Bar Harbor to Arcadia.

There are also free buses, HOHO around the park.

Not sure if you realize but the park is Acadia National Park, and you are correct about the public buses.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Is there a public transit option of getting to Acadia? I looked into Ollie's tour but you're basically sitting on the tram and getting off a few times for pictures...I'd rather do some hiking.

The free public buses (thanks to LL Bean) that serve Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are the Island Explorer buses. There are 9 routes plus the Bicycle Express, and they run from late June to Columbus Day, reduced schedule after 9/1. Just remember, it is a public bus, not a tour bus.

Of the 9 routes, only one route does not start and end at the BH Town Green. The exception is the Route 4 bus which does the ANP Loop Rd. The Route 4 bus starts and ends at the ANP Hull's Cove Visitors' Center which is about a 10 minute ride from the BH Town Green. BTW, no IE bus goes to the top of Cadillac Mountain, for that you'll have pay for a tour, or hike to the summit.

The Loop Rd (Route 4) can be done by cruise ship paxs but requires more planning.

SBtS

The free public buses (thanks to LL Bean) that serve Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are the Island Explorer buses. There are 9 routes plus the Bicycle Express, and they run from late June to Columbus Day, reduced schedule after 9/1. Just remember, it is a public bus, not a tour bus.

Of the 9 routes, only one route does not start and end at the BH Town Green. The exception is the Route 4 bus which does the ANP Loop Rd. The Route 4 bus starts and ends at the ANP Hull's Cove Visitors' Center which is about a 10 minute ride from the BH Town Green. BTW, no IE bus goes to the top of Cadillac Mountain, for that you'll have pay for a tour, or hike to the summit.

The Loop Rd (Route 4) can be done by cruise ship paxs but requires more planning.

SBtS

That color is really hard to read!

We used At Your Service last year and were fairly satisified with them. They didn't wow us as much as other providers had, but the driver was polite and knowledgeable and willing to be a bit creative because fog was a real problem. I think it will all depend what driver you get. He did take us to a couple of real nice photo spots, went out of the way so my nephew

could get his park passport stamped, etc.

The photo below was an example of a nice location we stopped at, note the complete lack of other people:

CNE%201014%205-57-X3.jpg

He also took us here, which was a BEAUTIFUL photo spot:

http://gardenpreserve.org/asticou-azalea-garden/index.html

CNE%201014%205-323-X3.jpg

Looking into smaller/private tours in Bar Harbor. I see Oli's trolleys and At You Service taxis mentioned a lot. What are opinions of either tour?

I see that At your service has tours from 1 to 5 hours--if this one how many hours would you recommend ?

Thanks--we are traveling the first week of October!!

Acadia Park Tours hits the highlights around the National Park. You can check it out at http://www.acadiatours.com.

Stewman's has delicious food, as well as Geddy's, Testa's, and Bar Harbor Beer Works.

Have a great cruise and nice visit to Bar Harbor!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello..going to Bar Harbor October first. Wondering if Olli's trolley or Arcadia tours is a good choice? Looking for maximum foliage, Cadillac mountain and Jordan Pond House. I've called Arcadia tours several times to see if their driver that day goes to Jordan Pond House..but no one has called me back. I've read the views and the popovers are a winning combo! Thanks!!