Latest boarding time

Wayfairers

If you have checked in on-line at least three days before departure, you should be able to board one hour prior to departure.. HAL must send their outgoing manifests to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to departure..

However if I were you I would contact HAL & ask them the latest you can board at your departure point../SIZE]

Having to rush and worry about getting on at the last minute is just not my idea of how to start a vacation. Maybe get to the port a day early, relax and enjoy??

Have heard (and we all know what that means) that people have been turned away with little hope of a refund if cutting it too close to the limit, which I understand is a minimum of 90 minutes before sailing.

... which I understand is a minimum of 90 minutes before sailing.
Not true. As Betty said above, if HAL has all your check-in information 90 minutes before departure, the final deadline is that you must be on board for the life boat drill. Those who watch the sail-aways on the Port Everglades webcams know that there are fairly frequent late arrivals within 60 minutes of departure.

From KnowBeforeYouGo:

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes prior to departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

Edited by jtl513

JTL is correct about the information - per the HAL website:

• If for some reason you have not completed your Online

Check-in process at least 3 days prior to departure, you

will still be able to print your Express Docs, including the

boarding pass, up to the departure date. However, you will

be required to complete the immigration forms at the pier

on the day of departure. Please arrive at the pier at least

3-hours prior to scheduled sailing time to ensure you have

sufficient time to complete the process. Guests who have

not completed the required check-in prior to departure

time are subject to denied boarding.

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes prior to departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at

the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at

the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible

for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

We are going to be in town the day before sailing as usual. However, this is our first time sailing out of Boston and we want to visit Harpoon Brewery, which is within walking distance of the terminal, the day we sail. Based on what I'm reading here the latest we will leave the brewery is 2 hours prior to sail time. I prefer to have a buffer.

On line check in is always completed months before sailing so that isn't an issue.

If you have checked in on-line at least three days before departure, you should be able to board one hour prior to departure.. HAL must send their outgoing manifests to Homeland Security 60 minutes prior to departure..

However if I were you I would contact HAL & ask them the latest you can board at your departure point../SIZE]

90 minutes is what HAL told me for the reason you gave

• 1 month later...

Any insights into a similar question related to shore excursions at a port of call?

NCL tells me I need to be boarding 2 hours before the scheduled departure of the ship from port. I'm thinking they are building a cushion (margin of error) in there for me.

I do NOT want to take the NCL excursions on this Meditteranean cruise, as the costs are way out of line, IMHO. I can see more and do more for half (or less) of the cost heading out on my own, or with a private tour group.

I do NOT want to press my luck, and the time limits, but I do not believe 2 hours is really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Any insights into a similar question related to shore excursions at a port of call?

NCL tells me I need to be boarding 2 hours before the scheduled departure of the ship from port. I'm thinking they are building a cushion (margin of error) in there for me.

I do NOT want to take the NCL excursions on this Meditteranean cruise, as the costs are way out of line, IMHO. I can see more and do more for half (or less) of the cost heading out on my own, or with a private tour group.

I do NOT want to press my luck, and the time limits, but I do not believe 2 hours is really necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about NCL cruises (it's been 15 years since my last one) but on HAL, the normal "back on-board" time is 30 minutes before weighing anchor.