Shore excursions with baby & toddler? (Cozumel & Grand Cayman)

FLIP FLOP GAL

Hello - looking for suggestions for suggestions on good shore excursions to go on with a 2.5 yr old and a 7 month old. We will have a stroller, but, not a car seat. Any thoughts?

Grand Cayman?

Cozumel?

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by FLIP FLOP GAL

IN GC, the bus doesn't require a car seat. Very easy to use, and cheap!!! $2.50 pp...takes you almost anywhere! The bus is about 1 block across from the tender dock. Shopping is within easy walking (bring the stroller!)...and beaches are calm for the kids...so easy to DIY!

This is where I always go on Grand Cayman. This would be perfect for a family of four. The hotel is lovely. Pool allows swim diapers and the water is crystal clear and calm. Very near the ship. Easy by van to get there.

http://www.resortforaday.com/Westin-Grand-Cayman-Day-Pass-p/gtgcwe.htm

Hi Rebecca - so, the Westin gives you an actual room and access to the pool & beach? However, no food or drink included, right?

Hi flip flop girl - I think I can provide you with some good feedback. I was in both these ports 2013 (8-month DD) and 2015 (2.5 yr DD).

The car seat vs. no car seat debate is a hot button with a lot of people, understandably so, but ultimately it is your decision. That said; here's what we did in these ports.

Cozumel

2013 - had no plans arrived in port and the cab driver took us to Carlos and Charlies beach club. It was all we needed for a nice beach day.

2015 - much planning went into this years cruise. We booked a day at Nachi Cocum which limits beachgoers to 100 per day. I liked this so it wouldn't be too overcrowded. They have no water toys (trampolines etc) for kids but at 2.5 my dd only needed water and sand. They had great food and plenty of shade and sun whenever you wanted it.

Grand Cayman

2013 - no plans but ended up doing a ship excursion to Dolphin Cove. Mostly for my wife but we all ended up enjoying this one. We had a dolphin encounter where we simply stood in the water and touched the dolphin and got a kiss. I held my 8-month dd the whole time even while in the water. They didn't charge for her.

2015 - again, the year we planned ahead we ended up booking a beach day at Royal Palms. Great beach club, good facilities, great food plus they had private cabanas. The cabana area is a little more private so you have shade/sun and a little more space to spread out.

See both my reviews in the links below. They are long but should be well worth it given the ages of your children and the ports you'll be visiting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1794896

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2161780

Hope this helps.

Hello! We went to Cozumel in 2013 and went to Playa Mia. It was excellent. Great pools and we got the passes with the food buffet and drinks included. You also have access to the beach. You just have to take a taxi there but it is not very far and it is worth it! We had a great time and plan on going back in January when we cruise there again!!

When we were in Cozumel, our LO had a very strict nap schedule. We walked around a bit and did the glassbottom boat that was around an hour. It was very nice and he got to see lots of fish and coral.

Did you book the glass bottom boat through the cruise line?

• 2 weeks later...

In Cozumel, there's a really cute national park beach that has a free sea lion show, if your older is old enough to enjoy that. I can't recall the name,but if you google, you will find it. It is about a 15 minute cab ride from the port, though, so you may not be comfortable without car seats. I bought a portable car seat to use for my little one, but I don't think it would work for an infant.